Alternator mounting?

What locations are acceptable for mounting the alternator? Lower driver and passenger only? If so, does anybody make mounting brackets/setups for being on the lower driver side? (dry sump is taking the lower passenger side; other than that I've just got water pump and main crank pulley and that's it)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
What locations are acceptable for mounting the alternator? Lower driver and passenger only? If so, does anybody make mounting brackets/setups for being on the lower driver side? (dry sump is taking the lower passenger side; other than that I've just got water pump and main crank pulley and that's it)

Am I reading that correctly?
Your engine has arrived? If so congratulations

In GT40 alternator on v belt is top drivers side for UK driving so passenger in US

Ian

Am I reading that correctly?
Your engine has arrived? If so congratulations

soon%20%281%29.jpg

The CTS-V bracket and alternator will fit on the driver's side lower mount. Top mount drivers side (LS7) WILL NOT WORK.

Alex on my thread serpentine belt configurations Ken listed all the GM part numbers you need for an LS7, but it should work for all LS engines, I ordered mine from gmpartsshop.com they were 1/2 the cost of going to a GM dealer. If you choose to do this, order all the GM bolts at the same time. It fit perfectly with lots of room, you will need to change the pig tail, I have the part number for that as well if you need it. The big hurdle is the belt tensioner you will need one at the top of the water pump I have designed and fabricated an adjustable one but I haven't yet installed it as the motor is sitting in the chassis in mock up mode. Once I know for sure it works If you wish I could send you the drawings or CAD file but there is a bit of machining involved.
Cheers,

Lots of good info so far - glad it sounds that something may work (that would be nice for a change, hah)

Back