Aluminum Panels

Simon:
The easiest way to cut, and the cleanest would be a shear....probably would be cost prohibitive for you to get a shear big enough just for the job at hand. A plasma cutter would work very well, and a 30 amp 40 amp machine will cut 1/2" (13 mm) and of course anything thinner.
The cuts are clean and straight as long as the torch is stable which never happens by hand, but cutting irregular shapes is relatively easy and they can be finished.
One trick I used to use in the field for cutting sheet was to plasma or torch cut a bit oversize, then clamp a heavy piece of angle to the material right at the cut line, if you grind with a flap abrasive wheel
flush against the angle the edge will be very close to the straight line you would get with a shear ...then all thats needed is simple de-burr.
There are a number of nice machines available now for around $400.00 which are inverter based so the current draw is within any household supply and air requirements are about 3 1/2 to 4 CFM which a small compressor will easily supply.
Also a few hand snips and a nibbler as Bill mentioned will get you good results.
Good Luck
Phil

Hi Simon , As far as cutting sheet alloy, all I have ever used is a 8" skill saw with a 3mm thick cut off blade, I use a few drops of household detergent on the panel to make it nice and slippery, and a length of angle iron clamped down for a straight edge, a quick file to clean off the burrs and your done, do wear ear muffs through, as it does make a bit of noise.

Back