American GT Monocoque

G

I have just finished looking over some very impressive pictures of the new American GT Monocoque chassis which has been build by Kustom Metal Werks, George Cochran. I have only seen shots of the nose of the chassis, but I am impressed! It is very original looking and looks well put together. We all know how good George's work can be and it appears he has put a LOT of effort into this. He also appears to have two versions of upright: one uses the Corvette spacer/caliper mount and the other has it cast in. They are also very nice looking. Again they have a very original look to them. From what I understand, John Hester will be offering this monocoque car at a price that is VERY attractive as well. I am looking forward to seeing more of the chassis. If the rest looks like the nose and the price is as described, this option is going to be very hard to overlook.

Isn't this the same guy many of you have been waiting a year plus for you pipes from? cb

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, maybe George was building a GT40 chassis when he was supposed to be finishing exhaust system orders for his (paid) customers. I'd still like to see what he built, though.

G

Jim Thank you for the intrest. John Hester is working at a feaverish pace this morning in the effort to get a functioning web sight. FYI all 8 of those exhaust ( the paid customers as you put it ) were out my door in Oct. I didn't start work on John Hesters chassie until Jan. I have sit and watched as a great many folks comented in the past 6 months on the exhaust issue and will be addressing all of that stuff later on today! As for for you John S., take a chill pill yours will be along soon!

G

Guys,

I too got a gander at the pics of the front of the chassis ... can't say much except ... wow and maybe just WOW!

Going to be counting my pennies for months to come. Were I not early retired, I'd not count very long!

Sure looking forward to seeing the new web site.

Hey Mad Dog,

With customer service like that who could resist?

Sign me up for four!

Doug

G

Tried to get image from personal web page, but it isn't working just yet. Hope to post an image or two soon.

Lynn

[ May 07, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

G

MAD DOG,
From what I know about you on this forum, how could you ever ask any body to do businees with you, no way would you get a deposit from me. Dont you know you have damaged your reputation ? (with your behavior) The name you use makes me think you most have rabies, your way beyond excuses and in my opinion you need to compensate a number of people. This is my opinion of your attitude to wards your followers, very abusive to say the least.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
That's a little rough, but Mad Dog? George? you need a new plating/coating contractor, and you can't blame people for being irate when one essential part doesn't show up and screws up their whole build.
I still want to see pictures of the chassis. I am interested very much to see how it compares with what David Brown is doing in NZ and Jim Dunham in Michigan. I think it is great that people are building monocoques for GT40s; for so long it was ERA and no one else. So, George, step up and show the product..

I am very interested in hearing more about this upcoming kit. Please post a link to the web site when it goes live.

George, I think it would be in your best interest to clear the air as regards what exactly caused the delays with the crossover exhaust systems. Until I read the above post, I was under the impression that it was you who were dragging your feet, when it seems it was one of your suppliers.

I am very sensitive to the perceived ability of a kit manufacturer to execute and deliver his product in a timely manner, as for over 18 months now I have had a sizeable deposit on an as-yet non-existant 4.6 DOHC twin turbo kit for my Mustang.

Quite frankly, my opinion is that the single biggest obstacle to American GT's realizing sales success will be overcoming any lingering perceptions of delivery delays and demonstrating an ability to execute. I don't intend to be mean or put you on the defensive but rather I simply want to be candid and give you my perspective.

My $0.02.

Regards,
Mark

G

Ya All!!! You asked for it! I was going to do it Sunday night but didn't because I wanted to coenside with the introduction of John Hester's web site. This may get a little wordy, so i'll start a new topic just to make sure a intrested parties get to see it. -George

G

I'll reply to the above messages But first lets talk about being a good customer! Lets take my alum. outside exhaust cobra pipes for example . Customers were complaining about damage so I made 4 aluminum shipping containers that I said I needed back to mail the next sets. I did not charge for the containers. I included in the containers self adressed labels in an envelope with enough postage to have it mailed back. I informed those I was shipping to that I REALLY needed them back as soon as possible as other customers were waiting for their pipes as well. The first box was going to Florida but UPS lost the box in Denver. So now I am out a box and need to make a replacement set of pipes. Soooo I do however the next box goes out to the coaters (having learned from the GT-40 pipe expirience not to collect coating money but to let the coater send it COD to Florida) The box gets opened for inspection by Fed EX they get unwrapped (remember this is after September 2001) the envelope with money to return gets taken pipes get thrown back in unwrapped, and travels on. Pipes arrive scratched up and tips damaged. I ship another set of pipes to the customer to the coater of his choice in Florida The original shipper (in this case is the coater) he puts in an insurance claim and gets a check back the one who got the pipes complains to Fed EX and manages to get a check issued to him and the one to the coaters canceled (after he has put it in his bank and paid for everything on the next set of pipes--who is the good customer??? Now the customer is sitting with a check from Fed Ex and 2 sets of pipes that have been coated. And still has the container that has not been shipped back. Sooooo pipes are waiting to be mailed out that will not be damaged in shipment. Two containers lost. Third container mailed out it hasn't been returned and has not been paid for either. (these containers are not cheap folks but I value my work and want it to arrive undamaged) Guess what happens to the final container You guessed it it is with the person who recieved the next set send out, 4 containers GONE--- As luck would have it those that complained the loudest on not getting their pipes are the ones that are holding my boxes---which makes it hard to get my pipes out in a timely manner (I know at this point you are thinking I should have just charged the $200.00 extra that the boxes cost but I did not think I was going to have to do that) Jim, note that no ones build was held up by the lack of exhaust--I was in contact with the builders I realize it would have been better for them to have them sooner but it didn't stop anyone from going down the road. Tried to e-mail some pictures but I am having some computer problems and until my brother in law (the computer whiz kid of the family--everyone has one right?) I can't send the pictures out. John Hester web site isn't up yet but he has high hopes for it being up by tomorrow noon. He said he would come on and post a link so you could see it. Malcolm, You aren't doing business with me, you are doing business with AMerican GT I am only a contractor building a chassis according to their specifications--you won't see me and won't talk to me you will do business with American GT--They order chassis 2 at a time and will always have one in stock. If you think my attitude is abusive you have not heard half of the accusations or name calling I have put up with. Everyone gets their say in but I have not given "the other side of the story" so to speak. As you know there are two sides to every story---George

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Okay, I am not a customer of KMW but I have heard enough explanations to satisfy me. I hope everyone has/gets their parts. I hope the air's cleared. I am not immune to screwups myself. (although I don't make pieces for other folks). George, I for one appreciate your posting an explanation of all this. Would it be accurate to say everyone's learnt something in this instance? I look forward to seeing the new monocoque and how it compares with the others on the market, price and quality both. AND, I would like to know what other GT40 bits you are making, as I may need some. Thanks.

G

JIm Thanks! I make a ton of mistakes! When I worked for my dad on the farm ( In northern Maine ) and asked how todo something he'ld say " If I wasn't here and you had to get that done what would you do ?" My reply would be Well 1st this than I'ld do such and such". He'ld think for a few seconds and say that sounds good. Well I'ld carry out my carefully laid plans only to screw it up! when asking him why he didn't inform me of the errow I was about to make his response was " I'm not always going to be around to save you from yourself, if you screw if pull yourself together, make the fix, and next time think outside the box" Their isn't a 7 or 8 parts on that entire chassie that I didn't do at least twice befor I got the dam thing right. Even then on this first chassie Their are a great # of measurements that will be changed to get the std. production chassie a lot closser to the org. As far as some other parts Jim D. is getting org. styled uprights and a few other small idems. Because this is a high volume effort I have gone to the expense of making a lot of the stamping dies not commonly seen. When Jim D. is ready for his steel top I'll most likely make that as well. Well tomorrow is another busy day. George

Just a friendly reminder, I still need the rest of my pipes,and the partial refund for the coating. I know "they're in the mail", right?!
"A Good Customer"
John

G

To all GT enthusiasts,

I would like to introduce myself to those of you who do not know me. My name is John Hester and I am the owner of a new company American GT, LLC. As you have seen by the posts we are very close to introducing our first ‘demonstrator vehicle’ which happens to use the monocoque chassis as supplied by Kustom Metal Werks. We (American GT) have no other affiliation with KMW other than having contracted their services as some of you have. We (American GT) never requested to be moved ahead of any of KMW customers in KMW’s production queue. We do hope to be able to offer this monocoque chassis as part of our line and do so in a reasonable amount of turn-around time. This is truly a great product, second to none and will be offered at a very competitive price. Our goal is to have your car in your possession no more than 6 months from the order date. However, we will carry some inventory that will be available for immediate delivery, but in the case where our inventory is temporarily depleted delivery will not exceed 6 months. Also this goal will not affect quality. We have internal incentives that drive us to meet these delivery timelines, and I might add we don’t feel these goals are unrealistic. As many other manufacturers practice this no matter the industry, a policy of switching vendors when lead time exceeds established standards, we will look to either help the vendor try to correct the problem, find a new vendor if the problem can’t be corrected or discontinue the use of that product altogether. It is unfortunate that the circumstances exist between KMW and some of their customers. We hope all of these situations between KMW and their customers are resolved quickly, completely and correctly. Please look for our website, albeit under construction, in the next day or so. We will have offerings, pricing and some photos on the website. We look forward to serving you and giving you a high quality option at a reasonable cost and timely delivery.

Thank you,
John Hester
American GT

Back