Another CAV on eBay

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi all,

I've been speaking with Steve on the phone and just minutes ago via email about his car. He's surprised and impressed with the amount of knowledge and advise being offered by forum members.

Too bad he's only interested in selling the car, that's his business after all. But if I was selling all kinds of exotics, I'd keep a GT40 for myself!

Somebody's going to get a real bargain on a very fine motorcar. Fortunately there is also a dealer network across the States to maintain the CAV GT.

I've been getting enquiries about whether it's legal to import the car to Canada as it has 1965 registration in New York. Non federalised vehicles over 20 years old can be imported as antiques.

The answer is NO . As already stated in the sellers description of the car on E-bay:it is a 2000 model car. The 1965 title WILL NOT FLY past Canada Customs, Transport Canada or provincial Ministries of Transportation. They are looking for this kind of deception.

This has nothing to do with registering new CAV's completed in Canada, we're talking about importing a completed automobile. Whole different story...

I'm posting this information for the good health and peace of mind for all GT40 enthusiasts in the great white north.

It would be a shame to have your dream car impounded, exported or destroyed and then be heavily fined for trying to pull the wool over the feds eyes.

If anyone has any questions about this please email me directly at: [email protected] I am absolutely 110% sure this car cannot be imported to Canada.

Thanks for listening, good night all:)

[ QUOTE ]
The answer is NO. As already stated in the sellers description of the car on E-bay: it is a 2000 model car. The 1965 title WILL NOT FLY past Canada Customs, Transport Canada or provincial Ministries of Transportation. They are looking for this kind of deception.

[/ QUOTE ]
Perhaps Steve should mention this to the high bidder (ebay ID modenasypder03 - sypder?) who also appears to be a Ferrari enthusiast based in Canada. I would hate to see anyone get burned.

Aside from this, I'm with Howard. Pull the plug on this thread, sorry these THREE threads. I hope it sells or we might be doing this all over again.

I have a question that relates to Ebay.

In watching this auction, I also noticed a something unusual about Ebay auctions.

In two other automobile auctions (non-gt40) the prices grew to above the reserve price; then the auctions ended ( or were cancelled ). This did not surprise me; but what did surprise me was that the prices for the ended auctions had dropped greatly.

example: a 1999 Corbin sparrow had reached $7800 and met the reserve price; but it ended early with a closing price of $3500. There was another auction with similar behavior.

Can anyone explain the drop in bid prices??

Hi Neil

As well as bids being retracted for legitimate reasons, there are a couple of well known scams which may have affected the previous auctions you mention.

1) More common. The seller creates fictitious bids to help drive prices up. This tactic, called shilling, appears to be becoming a common practice. Close to the end of the auction, if the seller's fictitious bid is still the high bid, the seller may retract his/her bid, leaving the highest legitimate bid to win the auction. Alternatively, he/she may let the fictitious bid stand until the auction is over, and go to the second highest bidder after say 10 days, saying that the high bidder did not pay up, and seeing if the legitimate bidder is still interested in buying the item at the second highest bid price. It is possible that, in some auctions, there are a number of aliases being used by the seller.

2) Less common: A legitimate bidder finds an item he wants to bid and buy, and he places a legitimate single bid on the item. Then, using other bidding identities, he enters other bids that not only outbid his one legitimate bid but also outbids all other bidders including the bids of the phony bidders he has created.

In one instance, the legitimate bid for an item might stop at ten dollars, but the phony bids could reach fifty or seventy dollars. Those super-high phony bids have the effect of scaring away other legitimate bidders - but in the last seconds of the auction, the phony bids are all retracted, leaving the lower legitimate bid to win the item.

Sad to say it but this does happen. If proven, ebay suspends the user, but it's difficult to prove. Good luck.

Rob

REGARDING THE QUESTION OF IMPORTATION INTO CANADA,i am being told that they are not admissible even though they are 15 years old on the title.any kit car has to prove a build date,if it doesnt show to be 15 years ago,canada will not accept the car.in the case of this car,it is a 2000 car built and will never pass for a 15 years ago....i told the current bidder that is from canada that it will not be imporatble but he says it is his problem...i checked out his info and he is for real from toronto,a ferrari fellow..but how he will get the car in? by saying it is a 1965 title and not saying it is a year 2k built...fraud?? lie?? good luck to him.i have his credit card and have charged 2000$ cad deposit based on if he ends up high bidder.

what someone will do for a car is somtimes sick!

Where is Lynn, this is all his fault /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He should be forced to buy the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

We should find him, hunt him down and take HIS car to the auction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

$46200 seems like a good deal to me = £26400.00 in UK. A good basis to improve on and get to your own spec.

Am I talking out of turn...

Simon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
I live at 9601 Elham Ct. Raleigh. Come get me, shoot me and put me out of my misery. My car left for the paint shop in the last week of July and is not done yet. I am dying a slow miserable death. Someone have mercy on me, please!

Just kidding,
Lynn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Althought the length of time in the shop is no joke, unfortunately.

Back