Anyone do 3d Printing? Recommend system?

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi

We are looking to get into 3d printing and the related software.
Basically the company that employs me as the accountant is a design house and we design fashion accessories, hats, gloves, scarves etc and our main line sunglasses. And this is where the assistance is required as we currently design in 2d and have our China facotries convert to 3d and send samples that are not right, and the time to market is too long, so we are looking to be able to design 3d in house and print the prototypes. Potentially further down the line we may put production 3d printers in for small batch rus and do the whole lot in the UK!

Anyway at this point we have been suggested the following pieces of kit.
DAVID Structured Light Scanner SLS-2
Geomagic Wrap Software
Geomagic Sculpt and Design Software
Touch Haptic 3D Stylus
CubePro Trio 3D Printer

Ok the printer is lower quality than we may need but will get us off the ground and moving forward, but is the suggested software the right stuff? Should we be going Solidworks or something else instead?

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Ian

Ian,

I have used (at least tried) both 3D scanning and 3D printing.

If I may suggest you something which is NOT into your options:

- Get a good 3D design software, maybe not the mechanical one, but more like used by designers (Rhino? 3DS Max) and get a good training. So that you'll be able to design exaclty what you want. 2D to 3D is always a PITA, and never works correctly in first instance.

- Instead of investing into the 3D printing devices, why don't you start with Shapeways? Simple, quick and cost effective! Believe me, you shoudl try to give it a shot.

I am sure you'll find plenty of companies in the UK which will provide you with the 3D printing service! And will avoid you the massive investment in both machinnes, and training....

Same thing with the 3D scan process. You have the choice to subcontract it, or invest. The scanner itself should be appropriate (small objects, and good resolution). The harsh part is the post treatment.

I have tried to use geomagic, and you really, really need to have a GOOD training, and some cad abilities to exploit it. And it's expensive.

I can point you to an india based company which will work any 3D scan file, quick, very well and for cheap!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Olivier.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Many thanks Olivier

I shall take your advise and view other packages before making the decision what to purchase.

someone else pointed me towards Solidworks as a very good design package - seems better supported in the UK and easier to find training courses for it

Thanks again
Ian

Solidworks is a MECHANICAL design software.
If your job is to actually design glasses frames, I think you'll find much more efficients softwares for your activity than SW.

SW is great if you plan to design an engine, a plane a car or whatever mechanical.
I don't think if it well oriented for aestetics things.

I stand correct, you should investigate more deeply into a "design" software (in the sense you'll probably want to play with textures, rendering and a lot of compound surfaces...)
Such softwares may exists, and be much more user friendly than SW. It is virtually possible to do everyhting you want with SW. But you'll have to master the software to produce highly shaped parts.

3D printing isn't an issue as long as your software is able to output IGES or STEP files.

If I were you or your boss, I'd first chose a software package.
Just try a simple thing:
Write down a page what do you expect of your modelling software:
User friendly?
Complexe shapes, easy to modify?
Create a database of different models?
Ad mechanical devices like std hinges to your glasses?....

Then, you should consult a specialized vendor in CAD/Design programs.

Request to try the 2 or 3 you have shortlisted, and assess them with you needs.

Buy the package you want, and develop your knowledges and know how.

THEN, you can think about investing into the 3D printing machines. You should at least try to master one of the required tasks....

3D printing is a whole world in itself, and every machine is good for what it was designed for.
Running a small batch of functional products isn't the same thing as validating a concept...

Olivier.

What they said above plus it also makes a big difference what your objectives are. Are you making an aesthetic prototype or a fit and finish part or a functional part. There are different technologies available to achieve your goals. Stereolithography (SLA),Fused deposition modeling (FDM), Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), Selective laser melting (SLM), Electronic Beam Melting (EBM),Laminated Object Manufacturing (LOM) to name a few. One type of printer may not give you everything you need. You could contract out any one of these technologies until you settle on one that meets your engineering and cost requirements.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
I have used Shapeways recently to print patterns for the motion castings on my latest live steam loco, a 5" gauge GWR.
The software file was produced in ViaCad on a Mac which is very simple to use.
Very good finish these days.

Attachments

• DSCF5492.JPG
    DSCF5492.JPG
    445.1 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF5497.jpg
    DSCF5497.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 167
  • DSCF5496.jpg
    DSCF5496.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 172
Back