Anyone heard of or used Pro Trac tires

Wow...that brings back memories....
Pro-tracs came out late 1960's as I recall.
If you check back in some of the period magazines, they did advertise quite a bit.

Wide Pro-tracs on deep dish mags
with air shocks in the rear to provide clearance
and that bone crunching ride. Ah...the good old days.

They provided pretty decent wear life...not so hot on rainy days...but with 400 hp and 4.11 gears...not many tires worked well in the wet !

Mike D

Yeah Pro trac's!
I remember those, 16 years old first car was a 2nd generation Camaro I got from my sister which wasn’t running. By the end of that winter it had a 350, Muncie 4speed, 4:11 gears and a positrac. Typical cam, used manifold, shop class port job on some 2.02 fuellies, some 11:1 pop up pistons that were worn out but only $25 bucks for the set with rings. One of my neighbors had some old L60 x 14s I managed to squeeze onto the stock 7 inch rims. The must have been 5 years old when I got them. Hard as a Rock they were. I had to run shackles on the rear just to clear the fender lip and take the rear seatbelts out so I could massage the inner fender well to clear the inside side wall.

Man I was so cool! Then it snowed in late march and I realized why snow tires are narrow!

Where are those old pictures. Time for a trip down memory lane.

Rob

Lifetime Supporter
Gents,
Glad I could assist with your stroll down memory lane... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
However, with that said, your not helping me with my purchase decission. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Has anyone actually used these tires in this decade? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
Or, are these tires ancient history and shouldn't be considered on a 100+ MPH car? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
BTW.. you guys must be old!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
For the record, my first ride was a 64.5 Stang. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Thanks for the comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi Rob,

Coker, as you probably know, buy the rights to old tyres that are no longer produced and then reproduce based on the same tread pattern. I do not know wether they use the same rubber compounds,Bias design etc. The idea is they reproduce the look for those with vintage tyre needs. I would not consider the original Pro-Trac tyre as a High performance tyre. It was big in size but did not provide the traction that some of the alternatives at the time would. Such as Mickey Thompsons (sp?). They definatly were not used as a Road race tire at the time.

How that experience relates to the modern incarnation provided by Coker I do not know. If you email them they should be happy to pass your details onto customers that have bought that tyre.

If you are looking for big 15" tyres with that historic tread pattern, I would look at the TB's brought up in a earlier thread.

Gt40s.com TB tires

Back