Anyone replace 1-2 in a G96?

Kyle

Supporter
I know there are some vendors here that provide this service. However, I’m a DIY person first. There’s a series of YouTube video detailing pulling the trans apart and replacing 1-2 and the synchros. These transmissions are notorious for 2nd popping out. I would like to try to do this myself, the only part I’m unsure about is fitting the gears back on the shaft after replacing them. I’m going to assume a press is needed, maybe I can just take it to a trans shop and have them do that portion for me.

My Porsche mechanic tells me it takes a 50 ton press to disassemble/reassemble these transmissions. Not sure what part requires that much pressure but I would look into it before starting the project.

Kyle

Supporter
They do. However their prices start at something like $1400 just for labor without parts. I paid that for the whole transmission. The start to the video is below. Looks fairly straightforward. I would probably have to buy a press to push the gears back on. I may give it a shot. If I can do it then I’ll see if a local shop can push them back on, worst case I’ll ship it out.

Kyle

Supporter
Ended up picking up another g96 transaxle for a steal. This however is from a C4. Not a huge deal as the drive end can be removed. More than likely I’ll pull this one apart, inspect the parts and if all good I’ll swap trans. If not I’ll replace parts in both transmissions and have two rebuilt trans for the cost of sending just one out.

here’s is what the 2nd shaft looks like on a C4 G96.
I’ll document my findings and more than likely do a write up, as I know this is a popular selection.

08412A09-3250-4FE9-80B5-215BCC724650.jpeg
4DBA03FC-7BC3-44C5-B81E-4AD1FFED3262.jpeg

Pardon my ignorance, but is that 3 fingered drive coupler looking thing for the front diff on an AWD and it it direct coupled to the internal diff for the rear wheels? If so, is there some sort of viscous coupling to the front tires to allow the longer travel radius in a turn?

I applaud your bravery digging into this yourself. When I was a young man, a neighbor convinced me I could rebuild my own torqueflight 904. "just pull it and I'll come over and tear it down with you. In 20 minutes he had it scattered across the garage floor saying "yea, this is worn, this needs replaced, this too. Just get a master rebuild kit and a rebuilt torque converter and you're good to go" After playing with it and looking at the service manual, I had it back together in an afternoon, and not $800 poorer.

As long as there are no selective shims associated with part tolerances, you should be able to get this handled yourself. Get at least a decent dial caliper and verify the new parts are the same thickness and you should be good.

Beware, this advice is only worth 1/2 what you paid for it.

Kyle

Supporter
I don’t have the trans on hand yet, nor do I have any direct knowledge of its linkage in a Porsche. What I’ll be really curious about is if I can straight remove that drive coupler and leave as is in the car, or whether I’ll need to hack off the end flush. Either way I’ll have two transmissions to play with and compare parts. This should give me a good idea of what is worn and what isn’t.

There are a multitude of threads online about this disassembly. I’ll always try something at least once, that’s how you learn. Sometimes I pay the price, other times things come out ok!

As a cost benefit equation, I say if tearing one down and putting it in the garbage is no more expensive that the labor to have yours scattered and reassembled, and you're game for the challenge, absolutely.

Kyle

Supporter
After working on something else in the car today, I discovered my shift linkage was loose. I’m going to replace the 2nd gear detent and change the fluid. Hopefully this was the cause of my issues.

Bryan Koehler

Supporter
If you ever need a big press. Go to a mack or international dealership. Any big truck repair place or heavy equipment repair facility will have a big hydraulic press. And they usually will have a reasonable shop rate for pressing on and off parts. Good luck

Back