Are Metric Drilled Head Bolts available?

I'm looking to replace the bolts for the CV joints on the CAV. My spirited driving backs them out inspite of thread lock or plumber's glue so I think I have to safety-wire them like prop bolts. I've drilled 4 but went through 3 bits already. I looked at Aircraft Spruce, Pegasus and all they have are SAE.:confused:

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Look at some of the dune buggy/Sand Rail sites. I think they have them for the vw and porsche sized axles. Not sure if the same...

This place has some interesting stuff might be worth a call -

Dan's Performance Parts

Sandy

Ray
Mc master has the bolts, and if you cant get them pre drilled I would suggest making a fixture that is pre-drilled to take the bolts, and use a carbide bit. The fixture is esentially a block with a counterbore for each head size...screw in the bolt and drill thru. The fixture will ensure a centered hole, and keep the bit from skating, which will break carbides easily. I drill these all the time, and have no problems.
Cheers
Phil

Thanks, all.

Sandy, I think these are them! and I think I do have 930 style. I'm ordering a box of 25.

Cheers

Just curious, what size/grade bolt, what are you using for a torque spec, and are you putting the bolts in wet or dry?

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
Along with the drilling fixture mentioned, do it slow and keep the bit lubricated. If drilling stainless, common anti freeze works very well as a lube.

FWIW.

jmracecar said:
Just curious, what size/grade bolt, what are you using for a torque spec, and are you putting the bolts in wet or dry?

Well, unless I take the joint apart, right now I have no choice as the bolt has to go through the insides of the CV housing full of grease, and the thread is on the other side, obviously. What I just did was put the bolt in, spray the end protruding on the other side with brake cleaner, put some Wurth thread lock on it, back it out, and then tighten. I also put plumber's glue around the bolt shoulders before insertion. I have no torque specs so I just go as tight as I can with a 10" driver (probably around 65 ft lbs) and in a cross pattern.:eek:

I would use a drill press or better yet a bridgeport and use an Carbide 1/8" Ball nose end mill. Spin it as fast as it will go and use lots of oil. I do this at work all the time.

Back