Atoms - The Four Wheeled Kind

Ron Earp

Admin
Any of you UK folks seen these things:
http://www.arielmotor.co.uk

Robert of RF told me about them around a year ago and I've been entranced ever since. As far as I know, there are none in the US but I've spoken with the factory and they will remove the engine so they can be imported as "Car Parts". Thus, you could construct it and register it.

They've got road light packages etc.

Only down side is they US Rover engines, about as common as F1 fans in the US, and they cost a pretty penny, about $20k US or there abouts.

Anyone got a used on for sale?

RonAriel Atoms - the Four Wheeled Kind

my first thought was crap on the ground getting all over you (puddles, mud, dirt, rocks, etc).

I came very close to buying an Atom. The factory is a true cottage industry, brimming with talent and ingenuity.

On arriving at the factory I was greeted by none other than the designer of the car himself!

It looks fantastic in the flesh, esepcially the winged version.

The 1.8 engine & box is the same as used in my Lotus, a very tuneable package. Mine produces 200 BHP & 150 ft-lbs torque & the engine weighs 70KG.

Moi, if you're worried about getting dirty, or the wind messing your hair, forget it!
grin.gif
The atom is about pure adrenalin, with no compromises. It's a car for going fast & nothing else
grin.gif

I first read about these cars about 2 years ago and saw one in the flesh shortly after at the Melbourne Motorshow. Being both a motorcycle enthusiast and a car enthusiast, I immediately fell in love with the concept.

About 2 months ago, I came across the same car for sale at a Custom Car expo, and am disapointed to say that the car looked very worse for ware. The exposed componentry had begun to attract surface corosion in many locations.

Given that this type of corrosion does not ocure to modern motorcycles - well not for a long while at least - it seems to me that there is no reason why it should happen to the Atom.

My conclusion is that they may still have some fine tuning to do to an otherwise well contructed car. But given that the cost of one of these cars is close to US$35,000 here in Aus, I would expect far more refinement before I would consider one.

Chris,

I wouldn't let a little surface corrosion put you off. There is nothing hidden on the Atom. Everything is visible, all the chassis & suspension, engine, g'box, everything!

Perhaps it's a quirk of the English, but enthusiasts are prepared to forgive a car any shortcomings, due to their passion for the vehicle.

The Atom is nothing short of a 'nutcase' enthusiast's car
grin.gif
ie someone who just wants a super fast track-day car that can be driven to the circuit, looks like nothing else & gives that certain buzz we all hanker for!

I'm sure when you're hitting the rev limiter, wind in your face, flies in your teeth, reaching warp-factor in the Atom, a little surfce corrosion just isn't relevant!

It's one of the best examples of a single purpose design, ie to be exhilerating to the max!!

Julian,

"Perhaps it's a quirk of the English, but enthusiasts are prepared to forgive a car any shortcomings, due to their passion for the vehicle."

I concur with everything you have to say. We in Australia also love the thrill of speeding around on race circuits. I owned (up until last week) a Triumph TR6 that had LOTS of shortcomings that I endured for the pure pleasure of driving it, but we don't lay salt on our roads here, so ANY suggestion of corrosion sends people scurrying and screaming in all directions
grin.gif

The net effect is that you will probably have done your money to the tune of about $10,000 on an otherwise pristine example.

My other passion is my Triumph Daytona motorcycle (is there a British theme happening here?
smile.gif
) and there are very few shortcomings with this product ... so I know that John Bloor of Triumph Motorcycles doesn't take the English enthusiasts for granted. Make sure that you don't allow Atom to do so by letting your guard down.

PS. I am still in love with the concept of the Atom.

Just discovered this site www.freestylekitcar.com
Saw two at a distance at Stoneleigh.
Does anybody know anything about them?
They look great fun.
Have just built 4 Ford RTVs with Ka 1300 engines. Much heavier, and running on 14" gravel tyres, but very quick.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back