Audi 016 compared to a Porsche 915

How would a Porsche 915 (not inverted) match up with the dimensions of a Audi 016? I'd love to have cad drawing of each. I search and searched and I cant find any posts on this exact subject or the info i need.

I have had both here in my shop but don't have a 915 right now but I would say they are very close to the same size not counting the shift rod. The 915 is a little bigger in the body but length will be almost the same. The dimension of the bellhousing to the output flanges will be the same too.

Eric A., that sounds great,
you do make a adapter kit for [915 to 1uz]?
You said earlier you make one for audi to 1uz
I can purchase that from you when Im at that point right?

-edward

Eric A, do the axles line up about in the same x and y axis location compared to the main shaft.

I'm hoping the 915 will sit in the same location in the chassis and line up with the axles. Of course this can be adjust within a few inches when the new motor mounts and trans mounts are fabricated.

this is a sketch of an overlay the 915 and the audi 016.
It's just a sketch since I dont have accurate CAD or anything.

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/502/016sideview.jpg/]

[/URL]

Last edited:

Pat

Supporter
Thanks so much for posting. Do you have a feel for whether the adapter plate for the Audi 016 would fit the 915 or could be modified to do so?

The 915 and 016 bellhousings are completely different so they would not interchange. The input shafts will be different too so that will require differences in the flywheel and clutch.

I have an old 915 sitting right next to an 016 in my garage - the 915 is fatter, shorter, heavier and has a much different bell housing configuration.

Personally, I know everyone wants the G50XXX (if they're going with a porsche transaxle) but a 915 is going to be a stronger box than an 016 by quite a bit I think. It has the same bell housing design as the G50.

I use a 915 in my project with a flipped ring gear behind a northstar motor.I got my adapter from kennedy engeneering they also have one for the 1uz motor that you are looking for

I have an old 915 sitting right next to an 016 in my garage - the 915 is fatter, shorter, heavier and has a much different bell housing configuration.

Personally, I know everyone wants the G50XXX (if they're going with a porsche transaxle) but a 915 is going to be a stronger box than an 016 by quite a bit I think. It has the same bell housing design as the G50.

How much does the 016 weigh?
I have a couple of magnesium case 915s and they weigh 99 lbs.The alum ones are about 10-12 more as I understand.
I specifically wanted a 915 mag case instead of a G50 because of weight.

How much does the 016 weigh?
I have a couple of magnesium case 915s and they weigh 99 lbs.The alum ones are about 10-12 more as I understand.
I specifically wanted a 915 mag case instead of a G50 because of weight.

Hi Mike,

Interesting. I shipped a couple of 016s out via UPS last year and they weigh in at around 95lbs (wet). The 915 I have must not be a mag case as it weighs 116 (wet) on my bathroom scale (not the most precise method).

Now I just need to get an alloy block 331 in my car so I can save some real weight....

Back