Audi 01E or 016?

I was wondering if the 016 can be modified to handle as much torque as the 01E? Also are the transmissions from 99-04 FWD Audi or Passats worth looking at? I wasn't sure if shifter linkage location made these boxes tough to work with.

Chris, there is a TON of this information already on the site here. Do a few searches on "016" or "01E" and you'll find out more than you ever wanted to know....

Thanks Cliff. I've found some good info so far. Sounds like the 01E FWD trans saves some weight and space. Wondering if that trans was used in any US models?

Call Scott at Advanced Automotion and talk to him about the Audi transaxles. He has the 01E models for sale. The front wheel drive only versions were not used in any of the cars imported here to the U.S. as far as I know.

I was wondering if the 016 can be modified to handle as much torque as the 01E? Also are the transmissions from 99-04 FWD Audi or Passats worth looking at? I wasn't sure if shifter linkage location made these boxes tough to work with.

No gear widths are substantially narrower in the 016, and it has a few flaws that are not cost effective to reverse engineer.

Thanks Cliff. I've found some good info so far. Sounds like the 01E FWD trans saves some weight and space. Wondering if that trans was used in any US models?

No the FWD 01E's are not available in the USA or Canada on factory imported cars.

Back