Audi 01X transmission

This audi numbers realy make me confused..:/

I have found a Audi transmission 6-speed..
it is from a 2004 A4 2.5 2wd..
but the numbers is not 01E???
This is the numbers..

GDX 01X 301 103 K

Anyone ho knows if this is the same gearbox as the 01E..
and have some kind off chart that tell the gear ratio?
i realy hope someone knows this??..:/

/Doger

Photos off the 01X..

audi01xml0.jpg

By doggydoggen, shot with HP PhotoSmart R727 (V01.00) at 2008-03-11

audi01x2ke8.jpg

By doggydoggen, shot with HP PhotoSmart R727 (V01.00) at 2008-03-11

Ron Earp

Admin
If I am not mistaken Brett gave up on the thing because it had to have a different adapter plate than the 01E or 016. Not sure though, best to contact him.

I just ran across something interesting, on the Pelican board:

BoxxerSix
user_offline.gif

Six Speed quattro transmission from and Audi S4 are not going to be a good choice for your car. They're rated for AWD torque, and if converted over to FWD they'll grenade quick.. alot of the Ultima guys have tried this and get nowhere quick. You may look for an 01X FWD transaxle which already has the center diff removed. 01A and 01E designations are the quattro 5 and 6 speeds respectfully.

biggest issue with the audi transmission is the long one piece input shaft with integral 1st/3rd gears. They just can't take the torque load not being distributed across the entire case as in AWD. you can get one off input shaft made with separate gearsets for 1st/3rd but they cost a boot load and would put you into used G50 territory easy by the time you get done with the parts and overhaul.........

If you're not going to put a G50 in that beutiful car, you'd be better off doing this with a JDM 6MT from a subaru STi than with the Audi counterparts......with durability and strength in mind. but then again that's a $3-5K transmission in itself when found and is just as expensive as a used G50

According to this guy the 01X is the 2wd box and the 01E and 01A are quatro 6 and 5 speed boxes. During my search all of the adds for the AUDI Bentley repair manual lists these the same way.

from one add:

Transmissions covered:
  • 5-Spd. Manual Transmission 012/01W Front Wheel Drive
  • 5-Spd. Manual Transmission 01A All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 01E All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 01X Front Wheel Drive
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 02X All Wheel Drive
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 0A3 All Wheel Drive
  • 5-Spd. Automatic Transmission 01V All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • 6-Spd. Automatic Transmission 09L All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) 01J Front Wheel Drive
  • Rear Final Drive
  • Rear Final Drive 0AR
So maybe these are basically the same?

Here is what i have found out
Audi changed the transmission number 01E to 01X on 2wd trans year 2002-2005 ,but the 4wd still had the 01E numbers.

But the thing is.
I need to find out if the 01X and 01E Have the same mount to the frame..
and if i can use the 01E adaptorplate for ford 302 on the 01X???

/Dogge

Guys, I can help, i have the workshop manual for the 01e 5 speed and 01e 6 speed if you would like a copy drop me a pm with an email address and i can send over.Also have a small bit of info on the o1e 6 speed quattro box with ratios etc.

also this site has some good info.
Audi 01E Quattro Transmission

Regards
Lambo

Last edited:
If I am not mistaken Brett gave up on the thing because it had to have a different adapter plate than the 01E or 016. Not sure though, best to contact him.

Ron,
My friend, long time no speak... actually I maged to resolve it... and have helped another forum member already with their 01E installation :)

Dogge has contacted me, so I'll help him off line. I'll also post some stuff when I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

Brett

According the following table ( you find the info in line 22 on page 27)
the GDX code marks a box from a 2,4litre A4 Avant 2001 -2004 with 125 kw. Which from my knowledge is a gas not a diesel engine. Therefore i doubt it is as strong as the diesel boxes. Haven´t found anything on the ratios.

TOM

Attachments

• Audicodes.pdf
    138 KB · Views: 2,849
The 01E and 01X (along with the 012) are listed for the same vehicle applications so I suspect the mountings, particularly the bellhousing, are all the same. Code GDX according to my information is listed as P/N 01X300044DX, with a R&P of 3.875:1, 1= 33/9, 2= 39/19, 3= 37/26, 4= 33/31, 5= 29/34, 6= 27/37. The net overall ratio of 14.2:1 for 1st gear is very short (if the numbers are indeed correct) and not well matched to a high HP low weight car, IMO. The individual component part numbers (most of them) have an 01X prefix which suggests that few, if any parts are interchangeable with the 01E (though they look the same in the illustrations).

Hope this helps.

Andy

Dogge,
I'll write you a more comprehensive reply tomoight, but in the meantime, just for comparison. I have an FYA code 01X, which is a diesel box. (The GDX by the way mates to the 2.4 as stated with the engine codes of AMM and BDV)

Engine​
1.9 ltr. - 96 kW TDI​
2.4 ltr. - 125 kW​

Ratio
Final drive​
32 : 9 = 3.556​
31 : 8 = 3.875​
i = Z2 : Z1
1st gear​
33 : 9 = 3.667​
33 : 9 = 3.667​

2nd gear​
39 : 19 = 2.053​
39 : 19 = 2.053​

3rd gear​
37 : 27 = 1.370​
37 : 26 = 1.423​

4th gear​
32 : 31 = 1.032​
33 : 31 = 1.065​

5th gear​
28 : 35 = 0.800​
29 : 34 = 0.853​

6th gear​
25 : 38 = 0.658​
27 : 37 = 0.730​

Reverse gear​
34 : 10 = 3.400​
34 : 10 = 3.400​

Ah, that didn't transpose across properly. If you read it down the FYA code is on the top in every line.

Brett

Thx brett..=)
I have the 2.4 litre gasolin gearbox

this is what i came up to in the gear ratio calculator..
not so bad?..Low first gear..but the rest look ok?=)

7000 rpm

1=39 Mph(62 km)
2=70 Mph(112 km)
3=102 Mph(163 km)
4=136 Mph(218 km)
5=170 Mph(272 km)
6=198 Mph(317 km)

Dogge,
Personally I am not that bothered, as I personally don't think its that bad if its a road car that will do occaisional track time. I have heard people on the forum saying "That's too low". However, Have you sat in a lot of modern production cars these days? A lot have quite short first gears literally just getting them of the mark and nothing more. Just my 0.02

Brett

Brett,

The first gear ratio opinion is certain to be based on personal preference. To present an example, the Corvette Z06 (6 speed) has a 2.66:1 first gear with a 3:42:1 ring and pinion ratio yielding a net ratio of 9.09:1. To me, the car's 1st gear does not give the feeling of being mis-matched for road use.

Cheers,
Andy

Yea that's me over on the Pelican forums :)

The 01x is a close relative to the Boxster 6 Speed transaxle (Boxster S). A slightly different bell housing pattern than your typical 016/012. Larger gear width to hold more torque. Some say capable of 400+ but it's never been documented. Ryan over at GBOX LLC would have more knowledge into this matter(for the Porsche gearbox that is). I've been dealing with him over my project here within the past few weeks and he's a really good guy, smart in his business.

My reference to the Ultima guys was just based on experience dealing with their cars and fixing tranny issues. A good handful of them have tried using retroed AWD Audi boxes but the guts are weaker when converted and thrown in a 2wd(RWD) setup than your typical 016 or 01x.

One box you guys should be looking into is the subaru STI gearbox. Not your standard WRX 5 speed but the beefy 6MT. Your typical USDM version of this gearbox can take a pretty good beating, upwards of 450 ftlbs without question. The "JDM" version of this box is even stronger, with fully run in R&P's and stronger mainshafts. I've built a few narly Subaru STi's in the 550AWHP range and that's on a stock tranny. They just absolutely hate miss shifts, so mind your gearing. Plus the array of gears and differentials available for the gearbox is good.

The difficultly with converting this suby 6MT box from AWD to 2WD is when you remove the center diff, you effectively disengage the internal force feeding oil pump that supply lube to the center carrier bearings and R&P. Requires a custom pump input shaft to be made(easy) and a custom backing plate.

Only downside to that tranny would be the length probably for most of you GT40 guys, I don't have that off the top of my head by it's a bit longer than your average G50 or G96

As far as the 01x, use it. Good tranny for what it's worth.

I just ran across something interesting, on the Pelican board:

BoxxerSix
user_offline.gif

Six Speed quattro transmission from and Audi S4 are not going to be a good choice for your car. They're rated for AWD torque, and if converted over to FWD they'll grenade quick.. alot of the Ultima guys have tried this and get nowhere quick. You may look for an 01X FWD transaxle which already has the center diff removed. 01A and 01E designations are the quattro 5 and 6 speeds respectfully.

Biggest issue with the audi transmission is the long one piece input shaft with integral 1st/3rd gears. They just can't take the torque load not being distributed across the entire case as in AWD. you can get one off input shaft made with separate gearsets for 1st/3rd but they cost a boot load and would put you into used G50 territory easy by the time you get done with the parts and overhaul.........

If you're not going to put a G50 in that beutiful car, you'd be better off doing this with a JDM 6MT from a subaru STi than with the Audi counterparts......with durability and strength in mind. but then again that's a $3-5K transmission in itself when found and is just as expensive as a used G50

According to this guy the 01X is the 2wd box and the 01E and 01A are quatro 6 and 5 speed boxes. During my search all of the adds for the AUDI Bentley repair manual lists these the same way.

from one add:

Transmissions covered:
  • 5-Spd. Manual Transmission 012/01W Front Wheel Drive
  • 5-Spd. Manual Transmission 01A All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 01E All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 01X Front Wheel Drive
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 02X All Wheel Drive
  • 6-Spd. Manual Transmission 0A3 All Wheel Drive
  • 5-Spd. Automatic Transmission 01V All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • 6-Spd. Automatic Transmission 09L All Wheel Drive (quattro)
  • Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) 01J Front Wheel Drive
  • Rear Final Drive
  • Rear Final Drive 0AR
So maybe these are basically the same?

Back