Audi Deisel

Gents,
Are any of the Audi Deisels cars being sold in the US? I have not been able to locate any of them so I can get the 01X box.

Mr. Ali Grey
I finally called Jerry Janzing and he gave me some really good info. For my use he said that the Audi 5000S non-Quattro 5N is what I should go with. But if I can locate a 01X here in the States, that would be great.:thumbsup:

Eric Martin told me that a Porsche 944S LSD will pit in an Audi box. So far I have contacted 8 yards asking if they have a LSD. Will the Audi manual that is in the web site be good enough to instruct me how to install the LSD?

Joz

I would recommend looking for one of the 016 boxes with the AAZ, 3V, or 3K. These have the 3.89 ring and pinion rather than the 4.11 that the 5N has. The Haynes Audi 5000 manual has a good section on the manual gearbox. They are readily available at most auto parts stores.

Eric's recommendation on looking for a box with the 3.89 R&P is good because that will allow for a more useable 1st gear. However, the 5N has the advantage of taller gearing in 5th gear than the AAZ which makes for more comfortable highway cruising - the AAZ will be turning about 320 rpm higher (at 3,169rpm) than the 5N (at 2,842) at 75mpg assuming a 26.6 inch rear tire diameter (typical for a GT40). So, it somewhat depends on what you're looking for. Me personally, I hate driving along at 75-80 with the engine buzzing at 3,500 rpm and knowing that I'll hit redline at or before 140mph......

Some people have put the 5N fifth gear into the AAZ box for an even better combination. This requires buying 2 boxs, unless you can find a 5N gear set somewhere.

Gents,

Currently my Magnum has 295x50x15's on the back, I have never measured them to see how tall they are but I guess I will need to. I will stay with the 50x15 series tire but might move up to a 315 width. As I have stated before my goal is not to have HP out the butt, I want looks, sound and handling.
I am still learning the vast assortment of Audi transaxle codes so help me out here. I down loaded the info file on the Audi boxes and went to a site to convert the heading from German to English. I looked it over and could not find a 5N box, but it was a quick look and I might have missed it.
Jerry Janzing told me I should use the 5N which he says has the 4:13 gears or the 016 AZZ box has 3:89 gears. When I talk to the Junk Yard people I have a hard time discussing the different codes for the different boxes. Could you tell me plan and simple all the codes that go with the 01E, 01X and 016. In what ever form I will be using one of the 3 boxes.

Joz

Most salvage yards probably won't know the codes. The code number is stamped on the flat surface on the top of the bellhousing. If the salvage yard guy is helpful, and the box is already out of the car he might go and look for you. It seems that the 5N is the most common.

Joz, try downloading the .xls spreadsheet above (you need Microsoft Office) - it shows all the most common 016 boxes and all the codes and ratios. It will also calculate various data points for you (max speed in first, cruising rpm at 75 mph, etc.) based upon certain data inputs such as rear wheel diameter.

I believe you'll find that a 295/50/15 is a 26.6 diameter tire.

The yards probably won't know what code is what, so, you'll have to go and look for the code on the box yourself most likely - it is stamped on the top of the bellhousing.

Incidentally, the AFC coded 016 is a great box - has the 3.89 R&P with taller gearing in 3rd, 4th and 5th such that cruising rpm at 75 is about 2,600 rpm and top speed is about 170 (assuming a 26.6 diameter rear tire).

I did not receive the .xls file with your e-mail, could you try again or maybe send it to [email protected]

Joz

Joz, try downloading the .xls spreadsheet above (you need Microsoft Office) - it shows all the most common 016 boxes and all the codes and ratios. It will also calculate various data points for you (max speed in first, cruising rpm at 75 mph, etc.) based upon certain data inputs such as rear wheel diameter.

I believe you'll find that a 295/50/15 is a 26.6 diameter tire.

The yards probably won't know what code is what, so, you'll have to go and look for the code on the box yourself most likely - it is stamped on the top of the bellhousing.

Back