audi V10 into a slc

Good evening all. I have been reading most of your posts and thank to all of you for the sum of informations provided.
I m about to order an SLC and i m bit stuck on engine options. Actually i found a 2009 audi R8 V10 60000km and plan to use it for my build. i will take most of parts of the r8 i need an plan to sell the rest before scraping it. I contacted FRAN and he answered that chassis modifications can be done at the factory but major body work has to be done. By chance any of the members has already installed this V10 inside the SLC? what were the biggest challenges to adapt it? does any of you can send pics of the car done so i have an idea of the rear body section when its done? thank you very much.
PS: sorry for my english... i m french

There was a guy who put a BMW V10 in one. He has a build thread on the forum. Also Alan, the guy who builds SLCs, finished the car for him. I remember seeing a video on Alan's youtube channel.

There was a guy who put a BMW V10 in one. He has a build thread on the forum. Also Alan, the guy who builds SLCs, finished the car for him. I remember seeing a video on Alan's youtube channel.
i saw this one on Alan's youtube channel. Unfortunately the audi V10 has much taller and longer air intakes which interfere with the body. The job they did with this v10 bmw was amazing though. The Lamborghini V10 is pretty much the same engine and will face the same problem. I hope somebody made a similar build and can provide few infos about it. Thank you anyway

The R8 V8 had Plenty of Room to the Firewall , so the V10 would fit in the Standard Frame without Mods i think . Intake / HP-Pumps sits very High , you need to reverse the Intake with the TB to the Front (a lot of work , not symmetrical) and have a ugly Hump in the rear Clam (or ITB it) .
Crossbrace Needs to be redone cause it interferes with the Chaincovers , Headers are very thight packaged to the Frame - maybe Custom ones or S6/S8 do the Job , but cost Output due to poorer Design .
Drysump-Tank is big and needs to be modified or build new , Waterpump collides with Framerail , Stock watercooled Alternator maybe too . Stock Harness is complex and nearly impossible to run with stock ECUs , Standalone ECU which supports FSI/DFI and complex Cam-Adjusting is the Way to go .

On the Pro-Side : Gearbox and Clutch is plug&play

The R8 V8 had Plenty of Room to the Firewall , so the V10 would fit in the Standard Frame without Mods i think . Intake / HP-Pumps sits very High , you need to reverse the Intake with the TB to the Front (a lot of work , not symmetrical) and have a ugly Hump in the rear Clam (or ITB it) .
Crossbrace Needs to be redone cause it interferes with the Chaincovers , Headers are very thight packaged to the Frame - maybe Custom ones or S6/S8 do the Job , but cost Output due to poorer Design .
Drysump-Tank is big and needs to be modified or build new , Waterpump collides with Framerail , Stock watercooled Alternator maybe too . Stock Harness is complex and nearly impossible to run with stock ECUs , Standalone ECU which supports FSI/DFI and complex Cam-Adjusting is the Way to go .

On the Pro-Side : Gearbox and Clutch is plug&play
Thank you for your answer Nils. I don t plan to reverse the intake but to bring a major body modification to house it at the rear. As i will have a full AUDI r8 car, the engine is running with all original parts including ECU. I found 1 pic to illustrate your comment but its a V8 and i m a bit scared the v10 require even more modifications than the v8. i will continue my research with your new orientations. Thank you

Attachments

• EF22F524-5806-4B89-99DD-E2E55D4D116F.jpeg
    EF22F524-5806-4B89-99DD-E2E55D4D116F.jpeg
    371.7 KB · Views: 3,080
Well look at that.... Nils, Iv'e never seen a picture of an Audi powered SLC, thanks! Being an Audi fan (S8 and TT) I guess I'll go looking for build information on your car now (IF that is a picture of your car.

Have anymore pictures?

Fred are you in the US? Not so much BODY modifications but, you will need to create a custom 'back glass' insert out of fiberglass to cover the intakes. I'd suggest maybe a scoop be incorporated like an older F1 car to help make the 'lump' in the bodywork make more sense.

Well look at that.... Nils, Iv'e never seen a picture of an Audi powered SLC, thanks! Being an Audi fan (S8 and TT) I guess I'll go looking for build information on your car now (IF that is a picture of your car.

Have anymore pictures?

Fred are you in the US? Not so much BODY modifications but, you will need to create a custom 'back glass' insert out of fiberglass to cover the intakes. I'd suggest maybe a scoop be incorporated like an older F1 car to help make the 'lump' in the bodywork make more sense.
i guess it s Nil s car but can 't confirm.
I m currently living in Qatar where it s quite easy to find cheap supercars here. i also fly often to US so i can get spare parts easily (if it fit inside my suitcase of course). Because of the graziano i thought it would be a huge gain in time (and money) just to buy one as a donor car (i m personally not a fan of the r8 design but as european as i know their technology is excellent). Yes I know it can sound weird to buy a R8 just for its components but its cheaper to buy a whole used car than a brand new engine from audi. You are right about the design of the rear body and that s what i have currently in mind since this afternoon. Maybe trying to adapt a drag scoop... or hide the air intake below a ''oil cooler'' looklike. No problem to work on fiberglass but quite hard to find a good welder/fabricator guy here for customs parts (and it cost a lot...). I was naive to think that the engine will sit in without major mods. I m now a bit worried after Nils post. I keep on searching

Attachments

• IMG_4158.JPG
    IMG_4158.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 1,135
  • 1963-corvette-grand-sport-superformance-coupe.jpg
    1963-corvette-grand-sport-superformance-coupe.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 796
  • 2001-Carbon-27-300x225.jpg
    2001-Carbon-27-300x225.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 748
No , i think ist Hyder´s Car . He has it in running State - i canceled the R8-Engine and the M120-V12 before to go the boring LS3-Route - only to complete the Car an get it Street-legal .

R8 V8 with ITB , a Version with RS4-Intake (S6 or S8 for the V10) is possible too ; then it Maybe would clear the Hood . Notice the Space in Front - the Engine is very short - V10 should be around 92mm longer - no Problem .

11051357_319737978201362_1705018971_n.jpg

If you need information about the engine, maybe I can help.
I come from Ingolstadt and I design a lot for a motorsport team.
We just built a BiTurbo 10 cylinder, first stage 980 HP with 0,4 bar boost pressure.
Now a supercharger version with 1400 hp is coming.
Unfortunately one must modify the transmission very strongly starting from approx. 1000 HP, costs very much money...
if you need help - PM

IMG_9471.PNGIMG_9472.PNGIMG_9942_K.jpgIMG_E9947_K.jpgIMG_E9951_K.jpgIMG_9952.JPG

I love V10s! I have the Audi V10 (twin turbo form) in my RS6. It's an amazing engine, but quite complex. That said, I believe the BMW S85 V10 is worse for complexity! Having owned both now, I'd go with the Audi V10 in an SLC every time.

Ron Earp

Admin
We just built a BiTurbo 10 cylinder, first stage 980 HP with 0,4 bar boost pressure.
Unfortunately one must modify the transmission very strongly starting from approx. 1000 HP, costs very much money...
if you need help - PM

View attachment 107423View attachment 107424View attachment 107425View attachment 107426View attachment 107427View attachment 107428

Really interesting pics there. Very nice hardware.

Hyder

Supporter
i guess it s Nil s car but can 't confirm.
I m currently living in Qatar where it s quite easy to find cheap supercars here. i also fly often to US so i can get spare parts easily (if it fit inside my suitcase of course). Because of the graziano i thought it would be a huge gain in time (and money) just to buy one as a donor car (i m personally not a fan of the r8 design but as european as i know their technology is excellent). Yes I know it can sound weird to buy a R8 just for its components but its cheaper to buy a whole used car than a brand new engine from audi. You are right about the design of the rear body and that s what i have currently in mind since this afternoon. Maybe trying to adapt a drag scoop... or hide the air intake below a ''oil cooler'' looklike. No problem to work on fiberglass but quite hard to find a good welder/fabricator guy here for customs parts (and it cost a lot...). I was naive to think that the engine will sit in without major mods. I m now a bit worried after Nils post. I keep on searching

Here are some pics of my R8 V8 SLC for reference. This is lowest possible mounting of the engine in the SLC. Fran did modify rear of the chassis during the build to accommodate the engine but not extensively.
3C6D1BD3-902C-4780-8B64-EA33AD9B75C7.jpegA31B6EF5-501F-4D20-A780-C47118F2E642.jpegDE389FF6-388A-4DFD-B081-B4C29E9F8DCD.jpeg

if you need help - PM

View attachment 107423View attachment 107424View attachment 107425View attachment 107426View attachment 107427View attachment 107428
thank you very much H.J but i completely change direction for my build and gave up on the audi V10

thank you all for your help but french regulation has definitely killed this engine option. Registration forbidden due to CO2 emmissions. Switching now to Tesla p100d motor

thank you all for your help but french regulation has definitely killed this engine option. Registration forbidden due to CO2 emmissions. Switching now to Tesla p100d motor
I looked at that option quite a bit, lots of guys doing tesla conversions these days, there is a shop in California that sells the entire powertrain package, it is helpful to look at their setup and the battery packs they use depending on your focus i.e performance vs distance, another advantage is that you can place some of the battery packs upfront and achieve close to a 50/50 balance, will be very interesting following your progress, please keep us posted and good luck .

Back