Auto trans GT40 any ideas?

Hi Guys

The toronado/cadillac system has the problem, that the engine is wrong way around. Otherwise, I love the idea; the auto tranny would give possibility to all kind of exotic shift types. GT 40 mk II/IV tried some auto trans systems, that were not so successful, but I think there is something to explore with modern techniques... any comments...
wink.gif

Audi automatics are usless, very unreliable and expensive to rebuild (at least the one in the 5000cs). I thought that the toronado was right way around? I have a friend who keeps bugging me to use it, will stand up to monster power but i think i heard something about only using certain years as the newest ones weren't that good, not to sure.

G

I am looking for any auto transaxles out there that may work in a GT40 replica? I know topic is technical but may be of general interest. Preferably a non tiptronic to avoid too many electronics.
confused.gif

Not sure on this one. The Toronado (sp?) transaxle was a 3 spd based on the TH-350 or TH-400 gm transmissions. I understand it is HEAVY, but don't know the weight.

Fly,

The Toronado trans is very heavy, as stated above. The engine is also sideways; but the 1979 version is hooked to a STRAIGHT-FORWARD V-8, which is what is needed. You will have a problem however with the axles because they go under the oilpan.

If you can somehow rework the axle placement, then this would be ideal for your 40.

Have fun!

John

At the risk of sounding controversial isn't the gearlever on the tub part of the experience ? Is so buy a sedan - if not as Brian suggested try the Renault 25/30 box and a very soft engine

how about a porsche sportmatic? sort of a manual with a torque converter instead of a clutch, you will still have to shift but no clutch!you could probably build one to handle 250-300hp.i know someone who raced a 911 with one and the trans never gave him any problems.

G

josvdp .
Sure a stick shift is the best but there are people with disabilities who still want the thrill of driving a GT40.

G

the tranny out of porsche 911. sure its tiptronic but if i saw it installed on 1960's vw bus then i'm sure that you can make it work on a 40...

cheers

luis

G

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that Porsche Sportomatic or Tiptronic from a 911 will work. I believe they are rear engine cars and the automatic transaxles can't be flipped for mid engine use. Possibly the R & P can be flipped but doesn't look easy. The info on the Tornado is correct. The drive shafts sit underneath the engine and this would place the engine too far back. The Audi 5000 sounds like it has a chance. I think I saw on Ken Saunders web-site (GT40 Enthusiasts club) where he mentioned an Audi 100 or 200. I would be interested to hear more on this topic.

Fly : I have a 87 Audi 5000 turbo automatic 3 speed transaxle setup in my KVA. It is more robust than a standard 5000 but I also only have it hooked to a V 6 supercharged engine.If you have a larger budget a 96 and up Audi A6 with the 4.2 V6 would be the way to go ,it' a 5 speed with plenty of guts! I know I am in the minority here but my last car that i sold was to a guy that had know use of his legs and he was glad to find a auto to set up for stick control.There are many out there who would like to drive a GT40 but cannot drive stick.There is a market! Steve

what I was thinking about is opportunities w/ advanced shifting on those boxes. We know that properly built auto tranny w/ fast shift access will beat any manual transmission on racing conditions. I believe Ford was exploring this on tests that lead to the death of great late Ken Miles.(claimed brake disc failure).
Anyway, I have used on my rally race car automatic tranny with shift kit and ratchet shifter, and I find it cool. How about track car with auto tranny and solenoid buttons on the steering wheel?

the transmission (tiptronic) from a boxster is already set up to run midships . some porsche people have put superchargers on them to make about 325-350 hp. the s model stock makes 258 hp , this may be a good option as long as you dont over build the v8

Back