Bakers Build

GTD40 Build.... Early stages of full carbon fiber structual interior paneling.

carbonpanelfix4.jpg

Porsche G50 / Chevorlet 6.3ltr (600+ BHP).

gt40buildstage004.jpg

Further progress reports to follow.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Keith, you are clearly NOT a newbie! I can't wait to see more photos of your awesome project.

I've always thought engineering and art are (or are supposed to be) two sides of the same coin. Beautiful work, Keith.

I would also like to see lots more photos, and would be keen to hear about some of the work you're doing when you have time.

Regard
Richard

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif simply no words.
This is what i mean MAKE GREAT CARS

u are great!
Paul

HI Keith,

What are you using for the carbon panels. Flat sheet? Or are you moulding off ally panels?

I like the lowered carbon floor!

I look forward to seeing more of your build.

Hi Dave
The Carbon panels are made from moulds which is not easy.
The moulds to date are 3mm steel polished and 2 pack painted, unfortunatly the curing heat process makes the Carbon shrink at different rates to the metal, so some carbon parts have distorted . failure rate is about 50% but what is left of the best of the larger panels can be used in areas where flat sheet is required so loss is not so bad
Each sheet is aprox 3 mm thick so its like a sheet of concrete with less wt than ally 1.5mm ( 16g ).
each panel is bonded and riveted so the whole thing is structural.
I am in the process of small ally moulds for small areas which when carbon is cured will destroy the ally, sort of disposable moulds.
I will add a few more pic's when I can. Good to here from you.
The engine going in the forty is the same spec as my ultima which is 600+ BHP Chevy, dry sumped, kinsler injection and motec management and it goes like s##t of a stick pictures will also follow in due course
Regards Keith

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Keith, from the comments everyone is making it must be impressive. Unfortunately for some reason your pics don't show on my computer. All that shows is a small square with a red x in it??

Photos now re instated after to a link problem, so my youngest son tells me. Anyway he's fixed it.
More photos will be available soon

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Yep, got them this time, everyone's comments are right on the money, it looks terrific. say thanks to your boy for me.

BAKERS BUILD CONTINUED
Sorry for not answering any questions but I'm often very LAZY
The paint work on the gearbox is actually 2 pack paint on etch primer.
But after looking at it I may change this to a lighter shade, although it looks good against polished ally of the adaptor plate and other items.
The car will probably be in a mustard shade of yellow, this with the black of the Carbon will look the dogs.

carbon fibre work another shot
gt029.jpg

and another - click the link
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/bakergt40/gt023.jpg

John B

Temp Selling Pass
Can you post the brand name of the etching primer or the web site were i can get it ..I think it looks fantastico!

oliver

Hi all, Just an update of my GTD build in the UK, Attached is some pictures of it's progress.
As some of you know there's only a few builds going on with GTD chassis's now days but these chassis and bodys are now available through Roy Smart mine being the second, Brett Mcall being the first.As you can see the body from lee Dawson (Ex.GTD ) fits well with only minimal fettling to do.The Carbon panelling is coming on but at a slower rate than I would like.
patients is what's needed when aligning the body
gt40009.jpg

Only cut away enough to clear in the early stages of alignment as you cant put it back easily
gt40005.jpg

Getting there slowly
gt40011.jpg

Pre fitting of the dashboard, cutting the edges away to clear the Full cage
gt40014.jpg

More updates as and when.

Two updated pictures of the Carbon Fibre interior.
The sill panels have been made from moulds so as to get a perfect 7mm radius, snug fitting the chassis rails. The dashboard has been covered in black leather with carbon facia panels moulded in.
The interior panels still need some rivets but being bonded as well gives superior strength and rigidity.
The front inner wheel arches are also being made in carbon / ally but because of the many angles it's a bit of a job . Each panel is taking at least one evening of about 4-5 hours and there are 5 panels under each front wheel arch.
The gear change rod assy is now made from stainless steel and is at the welders ( I can't weld stainless or ally )Pictures to follow of the G50 rod system.

More pictures as and when

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/bakergt40/carboninteriormarch0612.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/bakergt40/carboninteriormarch0611.jpg

Back