Belt drive paddel shift 1000 +HP

Belt drive paddel shift 1000 +HP we will have one that will fit a standerd car soon

Attachments

• 72625-Beltdrive1.JPG
    72625-Beltdrive1.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 4,212
Good call Ron. Only the case is stock it is all SS and kevlar inside. It will now shift up or down under tork

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Bill,

What does that whole thing do? What is driving what in that picture? I see IRS components and a 3rd member with no axles but the belt drums and can't really pick out what's going on. Please enlighten me.

Thanks,
Chris

The idea was to make a automatic paddle shift transaxel that could handle a 1000 hp easy. And have less parasitic loss than a covenantal transaxel. By running the differential at the end of the tyranny housing and installing a belt system we can mount the engine any where we wont to achieve the best balance. And move the axle stubs to the optimum location . also the gearing is a snap to change

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Bill,

So tranny drives the dif, dif spins the drums and belts, which are connected to the inboard side of the CV's or half shafts which drive the IRS? Interesting!

Chris

Well my question is, rather then going with an automatic how about a Tremec T56. If you did go with a T56 what would the total length be, or more to the point would it fit in a gt40? Being able to use a trans that is rated at 450lb+ of torque (rated for a 3800lb car) for slightly over $2000.00 would be extremely exciting!

There is a dummy shaft in this picture. In this application, length was not critical. We will have adapter boxes that will replace the tailshafts with differentials for stock sized GT type cars

Attachments

• 74016-Zdrive3.jpg
    74016-Zdrive3.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 5,036
I do have a few more questions if you don’t mind answering them. First how exactly does it work? Now I understand the concept of the mechanics of it. But my question is more along the lines of how is it incorporated into a gt40? Is it a complete back half of a gt40 that I would have to cut out the factory frame and weld in yours? Or do you supply a completely new frame designed specifically for this type of setup? Or do I have to send you the frame and you will custom make it to fit? It seems like you are still in the early part of development but do you have any ballpark idea of cost for a setup for a 40?

Guys,,,,
Take a look again at the first pic that was posted. Where the new frame member in the pic starts, is where the rear section of frame that supports the trany/rear uprights/cross over support start on most GT40s. Look at the old pics of my stripped down frame. It is just another piece of frame added on.
1812031P1010004.jpg

1812032P1010005.jpg

In this next pic you can see the cross bar is just past the area of where the clutch/flywheel setup is. I have the engine moved forward about 2 to 3 inches to where the axels are close to the verticle frame member.It looks very similar to the pics of the paddle setup.
1812033WebP1010086.jpg

Now look at that first posted pic of the paddle setup. The mounting plate for the axels can be positioned where ever they want. Heck, it could be fixed so that it is adjustable for multiple locations. And the lenght doesn't look any longer than any transaxel I've seen. As a matter of fact it sits up high where there is more room to the rear. Now there may be an issue with the exhaust pipes, but I think it can be worked out.
And as far a automatics go, we all know that most of the drag cars use auto these days. My engine builder/assistant has an outlaw mustang, twin turbo, 700+C.I. 1200+H P that runs an auto.
My question is, how fast or how many rpms can that belt take. I know some of the blower belts get up there in the rev range, but they are there for only a few seconds, and those custom bikes seen on Orange County use then as well. What would the belt do say on a road course at sustained speeds?
Would you have to run taller tires to keep the revs down on the axels?
I personnaly like this out of the box thinking. It doesn't quite go with a GT40 "look", but for a road racer(if it can hold up) or drag car, I think it is cool. Can you picture it,,,, a new breed of funny car.

Bill

Thanks Bill.My claircul skils suck. you are wright on the money. We are less than a 1/4 of the way into the rpm range at 100mph at one to one the belts are rated at a 1000hp for a 1000hr,s thay are not cheep.

Back