Belt drive paddel shift 1000 +HP

Cazin you get it. Belt drive has been around a long time, longer than me, this is just my spin on it. Gates engineering did all the math. Mackenzie engineering Is making the parts, I am just putting it together and making the easy parts. As far as the with the CV,s are deep inside the pulleys and it has 8" of travel at the wheel. In this set up we used the full 9" housing. We did not need the thing to be short for this GT it is 17 Feet long . We are working on one the will be shorter than a ZF and lighter and stronger. And paddle shifted. The first 20 will be in can am type cars that will be for rent as track day cars at Thunder hill.

BillE,
Please keep us informed on your progress. I for one would like to know how well it works on the track. Might have to plan a road trip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif
On another note, can you post some pics of the shifter and its associated pieces?? I think if most if not just some of us, would improve lap times and/or save a few gears with a paddle setup.I love the sound of one as they go through the gears.

Bill

TwistMachine.com is working on the shifter. It will have a PCS controller or we may run a TCI the TCI is a plug and play unit. The PCS is an open architecture and can be programed.So you dont dump it into first at 90

Here it is cool part Momo wheel

Attachments

• 76399-Momosteringwheel.jpg
    76399-Momosteringwheel.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 907
This is an old thread - has anybody seen or heard anything further about this? Nobody asked how he adapted the 4R70W to the 9" third member; I'd kind of like to know. I'm working on adapting a 4R70W to a C5 Corvette diff. Not physically difficult, but getting inside and outside splines cut on a shaft has been daunting!

the pic the rear end looks like a ford 9”

Just a couple points. Maybe the pic of the diff is skewed on my monitor, but that diff housing looks more like a Ford 8" than a 9". The 9" are more round and the 8" are flat on the top/bottom. Can the OP confirm?

And that motor looks just like an 03/04 Terminator motor. And that stock Eaton blower is considered to be pretty mild by most of the mod-motor crowd. (@12psi of boost) They can be ported and pulleyed for sifnificant improvement.

Anyway, Its not hard to stretch an 03/04 cobra (terminator) motor up to 700hp.

I only spotted this thread this morning and was reading with great interest , when it hit me that I'd seen all this before. way back in the late 50's early sixties a pair of brothers from the South IsLand of NZ built the Stanton Corvette useing an identical set up, but with chains instead of belts. and the first one was powered by a 6 ltr Gypsy Moth aero engine.
the gearbox is a ford 4 speed and the diff is also an old V8 ford diff.
the car still runs in the odd historic meet today, and is still supprisingly quick.

stantoncorvette.jpg

Just fascinating!! Gates does have these, in widths up to 10" and in "extended" lengths up to 20 meter (cripes!!); cant help but think (incredibly WAY out-of-the-box here), but here goes anyway;

I have always found it interesting the way the Lamborghini's are set-up, mid-engine but with the engine facing backwards with transmission forward and in the drivers compartment, and a "drive-shaft" then coming off the end of the transmission back under the engine to the differential mounted in the far back...

Imagine how much simpler it could be using an extended Gates Belt; one could have the engine in the back facing backwards (Lambo style) with the transmission in front of that, so its under the drivers compartment (no need for shifter linkage, although pattern is reversed) and then the differential just forward of that; then the "extended" drive belt would transfer power (back under the drivers compartment) to the rear wheels...very simple, effective and excellent weight distribution, could be used with more common drive train components, and nearly bullet proof???

Cant wait to try this out :)

Having the differential between the seats with belts on either side of it would be too wide to package in any car I know of.

Having the differential between the seats with belts on either side of it would be too wide to package in any car I know of.

Hi Eric, I agree with you if this where a traditional transaxle and one would have to basically build the car around the engine and transaxle arrangement...seems the true beauty here is the inherent flexibility of the design where you instead can adapt the power-train to and existing platform;

Example in this case, imagine the transmission still between (and under) the seat placement...then its just a matter of adjusting the length of the transmission tail-shaft to place the differential further forward, maybe even as far forward still as where your feet would be resting (meaning in front of that)...then having the belts running under the floor boards and to the rear drive-shafts...

Guess I'm just "Arm-Chair Quarterbacking" for now, but I really do hope to experiment with this setup, and perhaps its already been done somewhere else!!

Appreciate your feedback, Sean

Most cars of this type are low enough that putting the drive chains under the seats probably would not work. Installing a V-drive up forward with a drive shaft back to a differential at the "front" of the engine would make more sense. I saw a Lambo replica done that way.

Back