Best kit?

Sorry, typical newbie question.

I'm thinking of a GT40 Mk1 from RSR aluminium monoc. LS7 with ZF.

There doesn't seem to be manufacturers willing to supply kits in the UK. A few turnkey for silly money, although I have to say its mainly the build I look forward to.

I suppose I'm looking for confirmation in the popular forum that I'm not missing something. About to go to the largest kit car show in England this weekend for a nose around, to try and make sure I'm doing the right thing but would be nice to have a few enthusiasts

My major worries are that almost every little thing which is kit specific will have to be ordered from the US and shipped to the UK. Otherwise the delux kit seems very comprehensive. Other slight worry is of course bank transferring large quanities of money to an organisation I don't know and waiting to see if a kit arrives from the states to the UK. Unfortunately there is no UK outlet for RSR, and although the chap who runs it seems very friendly it would be nice to have someone at arms reach to grab hold of if there are problems :)

CAV looks a good alternative but I think as a stainless monc would be a good deal heavier, and having trouble finding anyone that would sell the kit rather than a turnkey in the UK.

Anyway all comments greatfully recieved, and I must say its nice to see a forum this size dedicated to the GT40 kit industry.

Sorry, typical newbie question.

I'm thinking of a GT40 Mk1 from RSR aluminium monoc. LS7 with ZF.

There doesn't seem to be manufacturers willing to supply kits in the UK. A few turnkey for silly money, although I have to say its mainly the build I look forward to.

I suppose I'm looking for confirmation in the popular forum that I'm not missing something. About to go to the largest kit car show in England this weekend for a nose around, to try and make sure I'm doing the right thing but would be nice to have a few enthusiasts

My major worries are that almost every little thing which is kit specific will have to be ordered from the US and shipped to the UK. Otherwise the delux kit seems very comprehensive. Other slight worry is of course bank transferring large quanities of money to an organisation I don't know and waiting to see if a kit arrives from the states to the UK. Unfortunately there is no UK outlet for RSR, and although the chap who runs it seems very friendly it would be nice to have someone at arms reach to grab hold of if there are problems :)

CAV looks a good alternative but I think as a stainless monc would be a good deal heavier, and having trouble finding anyone that would sell the kit rather than a turnkey in the UK.

Anyway all comments greatfully recieved, and I must say its nice to see a forum this size dedicated to the GT40 kit industry.

Hi Julian, think you mean RCR. Andy.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Julian

MDA, Southern and Tornado are currently all manufacturing in the UK

There are posts about all 3 if you try the search function

Also come to Stoneleigh this Sunday and meet up with the GT40 crowd - see how much more information is out and available

Ian

If you mean RCR, Fran is English, but living in the U.S. He is very reputable and a stand up guy. You won't go wrong and while I was intially nervous about sending a big chunk of money and praying for a car, I was more than satisfied with the product. There were also others on this forum whom I trust providing support. All in all a great experience. He also has a distributor in the UK, but I can't recall his name right now. I must be getting old!

Sorry yes RCR, and the chap is fran :).

However when I spoke to him he didn't have an agent in the UK anymore.

The RCR I saw in detling was very impressive from a build quality point of view. I'd love to go and see the kit from anyone who's recently recieved their order from Fran

Spoke to Tornado cars who of course is UK based, who seem to be planning a carbon fibre monoc.

Thanks for the invite at stonleigh. I might take you up on a chat about the cars. I'll be the one in the Cobra closely follwed by an XKSS

Hi Julian, mine is arriving next Friday - you are welcome to have a look at it in it's raw form if you want. I'm in Cambridgeshire.

Simon

Hi Julian, mine is arriving next Friday - you are welcome to have a look at it in it's raw form if you want. I'm in Cambridgeshire.

Simon

I would dearly like a phone call to have a quick chat about the more practical problems of cost and shipping if you wouldn't mind.

Call me stupid, cos I probably am, but I can't find a john lowe in the members directory, and therefore no way of contacting/finding him. :)

best kit is a finished kit. Point is, make sure you know everything about it, what is NOT included is more important than what is included. And, make sure you are capable of finishing it.

Sorry simon, I fully intend to respond, but I sit behind an NHS firewall and believe it or not don't have access to email til I go home :)

Julian,

Welcome to the forum. Don't make any decisions until you've seen the cars/manufacturers/builders.
There are some cracking GT40 manufacturers out there (as far as I am concerned there do not seem to be and "bad" manufacturers) so personally I think it comes down to what suits you. You should try and get to the Stoneleigh kit car show this weekend, there is usually a good turnout of GT40 replicas which you can look at and chat to the owners. I think Andy Sheldon will also be there with a Tornado stand?
I'm only in Upminster, essex, so if you fancy a look at a part completed GTD, you're more than welcome to pop over.

Simon

I'm over in Norwich with a part built Tornado, if you want a look or a chat. Having met Fran on a business trip to detroit this week, I can only add he is a top bloke with an excellant product

Regards

Andy

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Julian

Good to chat with you today.

Please pop along to our stand no. 122 in Hall 2 at Stoneleigh and ask for me personally.

Thanks

Andy

Back