Big toyota power

I dont get it. Every time I see one of the toyota tundra commercials I nearly wet myself over this engine.381 hp as it sits and all aluminum construction.Being a truck engine I would imagine that it could easily make 600+ hp when built up.You know long tube headers superchargers or turbos? I am finding very little info for this engine out there. This is the engine that they need to put in the Slc. or anywhere else where they need big power as well as torque off the line.Tell me why people.......or tell me why not.:idea:Seems like a good idea to me.5.7 liters and unlimited potential.

Truck engines are cast iron in block IIRC which is great for increasing power from a strength point of view, but not for weight reasons. Bit like the Dodge truck version of the Viper Motor.

Wow how often do I get to tell jac mac that hes wrong . The 5.7 engine in the tundra as I stated in this post is all aluminum. Also its a dual overhead cam engine as well.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow how often do I get to tell jac mac that hes wrong . The 5.7 engine in the tundra as I stated in this post is all aluminum. Also its a dual overhead cam engine as well.

He baited you... :)

Don't know about the car but for the truck it's split,making Jac Mac partially correct, at least till the 5.7 came along. The 4.7 32v has ally heads but an iron block. The 5.7 32v ( 381 hp in the Tundra ) is all aluminum( or aluminium for those who face toward the Union Jack). Also,'unlimited potential' generally stops when the heads blow off or the rods exit the block. And don't worry,Jac doesn't usually hold a grudge. A.J.

Last edited:
Actually yea it did feel OK. Thats a small feelgood though because jac macs knowledge is thru the roof. But back to what I asked originally, does anybody know someone who is building up these engines? They are not the same as the lexus engine.As for unlimited potential think of how much power the sb ford would make if no one ever tried?

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
I'm fairly active on the Lextreme forum and have two engine projects going with the earlier 1UZ motor. Our forum owner has torn down one of these new 1UR motors and done a photo expose on it, and the conclusion most of us have is that it's going to be a very expensive motor to modify and get big power out of. The rods look to be very weak, and the liners are very thin, so even honing is going to be a dodgy proposition. Toyota have always been famous for overengineering their engines, and building in lots of reserve, but this one looks to be designed to be a throwaway, instead of rebuildable.

Back