brake balance bar set-up

I just changed my master cylinders to increase my line pressure. In doing so I have messed up my balance bar set-up. I know it's supposed to be parallel with the master cylinders when under pressure but there is no way I can see it to verify.Here is my question; if I leanthen the push rod say on the front cyl does the front cyl then get more pressure or less? Right now I can adjust the bias all the way to the rear and the fronts still lock up.

Roy

The push rods being the rod from the master to the balance bar.

That will require some free play say 2mm on both masters.
Making on longer will make that circuit come on and the brakes will bind.
Make it shorter and you will end up with to much free play,that circuit will come on later but apply the same front to rear balance.

the push rods should have the free play set first then the balance linking the 2 push rods can be adjusted left or right by rotating it and making the centre bearing travel one way or the other in the tube.

I am having brain fade but I am shore when the bearing is closer to the front master it will give more front and vice versa.

What I do for a starting point is with the wheels off the ground ,have someone apply brake pressure till the front wheels wheels cant be moved by force,they have to hold the pedal at that point then you go turn the back wheels by force and you should turn them just.

From their it is drive and play.

If you are having locking issues on full bias you may need to increase the master cyl size on the front circuit.
This will reduce the pressure ,and the pedal will get firmer.

Jim

Jim

The length of the links into the master cylinders has negligible effect on the front/rear balance. But - because the front brakes are roughly 60% of the braking effort, you should make sure that the front master link is a little longer than the rear.

Brake Pedals and Bias Adjustment

You can change the basic F/R balance by changing where the pivot bearing falls along the balance bar. Increase (relative) pressure on one end by shifting the bearing toward that master cylinder. Ultimately though, you should adjust the sizes of the master cylinders so that the bearing falls as close to the center as practical.

Back