brake valve

while cleaning my car last week( BDR GT # 153) I found a red handle ball valve with notched setting on it under the dash ?When I checked the manual it is a brake system proportoning valve ? The Gt seems to be all set up and rides great, & stops on a dime . Do all GT's have this feature & is there any advantage to different settings or is this just for track & race applications ?:idea:

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
If it looks like this;

ImageProcessing.aspx

It's a Tilton Brake Proportioning valve..

It's used for fine-tuning the pressure bias front to rear.. They work moderately well when the pressure differential does not need to be radically different... If you have a brake balance bar, the likelihood you'll need to use this is nil..

thanks Randy & that is the valve . I don't know if I have a brake balance bar but the valve it set in the up position just as your picture . It must be pre set from the factory as the Gt came with the brakes all done & bleed? The car stops on a dime so I'm not going to touch it .:thumbsup:

If you're just driving on the street and the car seems to be stopping fine then probably best not to mess with it. If you wanted to experiment however you could try some hard stops in a controlled environment (large parking lot) and have an observer observe the front and rear wheels as you brake hard. On a dry surface for street use, lock up of both front and rear at about the same time is pretty good.

The proportioning valve is helpful for racers on the track as you can fine tune the front to rear bias, and change it as racing conditions change - less front bias on a wet track as there's less weight transfer under wet conditions for example. For street use I'd just find a nice balance and then leave it right where it is.

Thanks Cliff , that would be a good test . I did get some more info and it is set from the factory to equal brake all 4 disc & front & rear balanced . Each notch movement in the valve position would change the setting to allow more rear braking .The shocks and coils are also adjustable .I think all these features are mainly for track set up .Everything seems to be set from the factory for the best all around driving conditions. :thumbsup:

Back