Bs alert!!!!

To be fair, he isn't quite claiming they are from Le Mans, just that they are called "LeMans" boxes, but the advert does seem to be deliberately misleading. Good call to flag it up.

Simon

Ron Earp

Admin
And no BS alert is complete without using this icon:

:icon_bs:

Located on the [More] smiles field when replying.

Ron Earp

Admin
Warning to keep GT40.com members from throwing away money is always welcome and it is in the correct subforum. There is no correct subforum for Ebay items for sale.

To be fair, he isn't quite claiming they are from Le Mans, just that they are called "LeMans" boxes

Simon

I dunno. His text reads:
"A very rare storage/shipping container used by Ford in their Lemans racing campaign. These are called "Lemans" boxes. They are fairly rare today."

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I dunno. His text reads:
"A very rare storage/shipping container used by Ford in their Lemans racing campaign. These are called "Lemans" boxes. They are fairly rare today."

My reading, if I didn't have some of those same boxes in the shop, would be that Ford was experimenting with plastic as storage containers at the same time they were developing Le Mans cars. Since I have a couple of these "rare" items, I'm anxious to see what they go for :). If they're very valuable, I might even put my "Preston Petty tubs" on there.
They WERE waaay ahead of the rest of the world, weren't they.
In all fairness, I don't know if Ford made an attempt at Le Mans again in the 80s, maybe they did. To most people I know Le Mans&Ford Gt 40 are intertwined, not some ill fated attempt later on...if there was one.

Ron,

'twas an attempt to be funny...you know, wasting money and all that. NOT a serious ebay post. (it's a VW engined GT40!)

Simon

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
A little research reveals that the company that made the tub did not exist in 1966!

I have some of these tubs from the 80s that Ford sold with "Ford Motorsport" on them. I use 'em to haul stuff to shows when we are schleping GT40 chassis around.

I have a can of 1960s Ford Silicone Gloss polish that has the "ghosted GT40 MK II" trademark on it...can I sell it on Evilbay as "Genuine GT40 wax" from LeMans!?!?!?

Malcolm

Supporter
When I went to Le Mans Classic I did two laps of the circuit. Now I guess I can say my car has run at Le Mans! And for added authenticity, it got full of sand from the camp site and rain so I could bottle that up as well selling as genuine sand from Le Mans taken from a car that has run the circuit!

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I have a can of 1960s Ford Silicone Gloss polish that has the "ghosted GT40 MK II" trademark on it...can I sell it on Evilbay as "Genuine GT40 wax" from LeMans!?!?!?

Let me know if you can,I have a set of rubber floormats with a GT40 MKIV on them. Probably original equipment on the MKIV's.:)

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Sorry guys, I just read this thread and my BS detector just blew a fuse. Can you tone it down a bit as I'm feeling a little gullible right now:laugh:

Dave

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
very common item in OZ from the early 80's used by wholesalers to ship consolidated orders of small parts. Mainly used by hardware wholesalers, very smart lid on them, and stackable full or empty

I can't read the title of this thread without thinking of the T shirt that was around in the 70's that read "Be Alert" then underneath "Britain needs lerts".........Well, it was funny at the time.

Simon

Back