Budget 302

OK I need options here. I would like to know what would give me the best bang for the buck in a 302 build. I'm thinking along the lines of a 347 stroker but with the right numbers (both $ and HP) I could be swayed into a 306. I am looking for #'s around 375-415. I was thinking of AFR165 heads. Is their top end problematic? Should I get them bare and put my own springs etc on them. Are the 185 "better" or should I go away from AFR altogether?
I'd still like to use pump gas so what about the pistons and compression?
This is not for a GT but rather a old model Mustang. Street car with Friday night drags, but nothing real serious just good clean fun.
Any input appreciated.
John

In a Mustang I would go with a 347 or 331 stroker. You dont need the high RPM-advantage a 306 will give you, but you want more torque (cubes) since its a heavier car. Also your big advantage in a Mustang is that trannys are cheap. You can get a bullet-proof TKO-500 or 600 for about 1.6k. If space is a problem a Geforce T-5 will do fine also.

Go with a built shortblock from Keith Craft, Ford Performance Solutions, DSS, maybe Coast High etc, forged will run you about 2.5k.

Heads- The AFRs are the nicest ones out there, and for a 331+ cui you can go with 185s. If you want a cam with more than .550 (I think?) lift or want to run over 6k RPM get the spring upgrade from AFR (about $100-$200 more) Make sure you tell your engine builder beforehand, so he puts in pistons which will clear the big 2.02 valves.

A 331 with a Comp Cams XE274HR , AFR 185s makes around 440 HP at the flywheel (with an electric waterpump).

YOu should also consider Trick Flow Track Heat (same as twisted Wedge with better springs and 7/16 rocker studs) heads, which can be had for about $1100 shipped to your door. They will make about 10 HP less than the AFR but save you some money.

Lukas

Lukas,

Just bought complete rotating assembly (Eagle for SB302) from Keith Kraft .Sofar they have been very helpfull and correct delivery.Engine is being built for the moment.
Do you know them?
Tx
Fred

Fred,

I personally have not bought a complete engine from them, but some parts (Ignition system, timing cover,...). The service was great and they were very knowledgeable.

Lots of people I personally know on the ffcobra board run KC engines and are very satisfied. I also read the typical Mustang forums and I have NEVER read a single negative thing about them.

Of course for an Eagle rotating assembly it doesnt matter much, since all the ships buy them from the same source. The important part lies in the machine work and that is an area they are very good in.

Are you still planning on having the machining and assembly done locally by your friend? I am looking forward to hear how this turns out and how much the cost will be.

At some point I plan on making a stroker out of the 289 spare block I have sitting in my garage, and it will probably be something like I mentioned above.

Lukas

John

For the cost of a 347, a 393 or 408 isn't much more.
So long as you don't mind adding a glass hood, it's
the best bang for the buck.

MikeD

Back