Build Diary - RCR Lola T70 Spider

Don't wait to build racks for the nose and tail. You will always need and use them, as long as you own the car. Might as well make things easier ASAP.
Great looking car !

Ron Earp

Admin
Thanks for all the help fellows, and the help given in the Exterior Forum. Basically, what I need to do is get the primer off the car and start the process over. So, that is my goal for this week. Nothing like doing something over, but, I suppose I learn that way!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Bad luck about the primer Ron, it happens. Great looking car, I look forward to the rest of the build. It must be very therapeutic after the RF debacle.

Off topic, so apologies. How does one put all the pics together in one reply like you have?

Ron Earp

Admin
Just keep uploading attachments on the attachment screen. Try it out, I think you'll see what I mean. Stripping is continuing and coming along nicely! I also talked to my neighbors (who were out of town saturday or I would have asked) who build rods and do all their own painting etc. They set me straight!
Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Sorry no pictures at this time, just an update! We've just about got all the primer back off the panels and back to square one!!! Yipeee! Stupidity seriously cuts into to productivity......my fault, but I am learning. Did I ever mention I don't like body work?

Anyhow, in a day or so we'll be back to where we were last weekend, although the car won't be any further along we'll be wiser. I think.......

No parts from Kennedy yet either, which they said they had in stock. Have to call them since they are holding up engine and tranny becoming one.

Ron

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron -

Sounds like you got over the 'glitch for the mission'. I used the rustoleum primer for the inside of my mustang a few years back, and I recall it was very soft not like body paint finish primers I have used (PPG) must be the fish oil :).

Ron Earp said:
Did I ever mention I don't like body work?
Ron
It sucks, and it sucks finding good people that can do it :)

Looking forward to the build up!

Sandy

Ron Earp

Admin
Still waiting for some Kennedy parts, but, I've been sawing some panels cutting out lights, brake ducts, rear ducts, etc. And, I've been doing some sanding on the body to rough it up as instructed by RCR's body man who is in the know.

Also waiting on a bunch of gauges I ordered, some aluminum to use for a dash panel, switches, etc. Wiring harness is out and I removed some things I won't be using from it - alternator exciter wire, and others that I won't use for various reasons.

Once I get my bits I plan to mate engine, tranny, and put into place for a nice start, as well as mount the pedal box and run the brake lines for some functioning brakes. That will also allow shifter installation and someother nice bits like throttle and cooling lines etc.

Ron Earp

Admin
Alright alright, I'm sorry for the lack of pictures - that was 1 PM and 3 emails on lack there of! I promise I'll get some up this weekend.

In defense the car came on the July 4th weekend and I couldn't work on it at all, next weekend I did the primer thing, but then I had to go to Atlanta thus my time has been elsewhere. And, like I mentioned I'm still waiting on bits to get cracking, but I'm using what I have to make some progress.

I plan to do more cutting and sanding this weekend and I'll get the chassis out naked as well as pictures of the body. I think the body fit was really good, and it has a nice shape, quite sexy in person. The more parts I get mounted on the car the better because that is less that is cluttering up the garage. I'm itching to get the KED stuff because that would remove engine/transaxle from the floor, where it has been for over 1.5 years now! Man, has it been that long since I pulled all that from the RF........anyhow, it'll have a nice home in this RCR T70 and I'm looking forward to that! And hearing it start for the first time!

R

Charlie M

Supporter
RCR Lola T70 Spider

Great looking car Ron. Congratulations and good luck with the build.

What are you using for a gearbox, an Audi 016? Where are you getting your half shafts?

Charlie

Ron Earp

Admin
Got my camera back and here are a few pictures of garage happenings. I'm buttoning up the motor with a new front over that I got from John B of all people in a nice transaction. Going mechanical pump so the new style cover, reverse rotation pump, and damper are all for sale. Funnelweb intake installed, billet MSD, expoy coil, etc - engine specs elsewhere.

The RCR adapter is a cool piece that is more than a transaxle/engine adapter, it also functions as a motor plate. Those long bolt tie into the chassis, and, there are two holes up top of that plate that tie into the chassis. Definitely will prevent pitch movement of the combination, as well as rotation around the crank axis. Made of aluminum for lightness and is still strong.

Tranny is located in my under house storage and is awaiting the dang Kennedy flywheel to finish all that up. Some more pictures too - the last remaining primer to remove - don't EVER spray your body with spray bomb primer! All the other parts are cleaned and cut for holes - brake ducts, lights, rear cut outs, etc. Still need to do sanding and shaping, but that is coming along.

Fran managed to fit the car with a rear tray which is cool, that was not planned but worked out. The rear tray holds the clip and is adjustable with those drag bars and heim joints. I imagine we can make some sort of under tray diffuser out of it if we've a mind too. Front 15" BRM from RCR shod with Hoosier DOT race tire and 6 pot caliper there too.

Attachments

• engine1.JPG
    engine1.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,926
  • plate.JPG
    plate.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,890
  • sanding.JPG
    sanding.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,845
  • tray.JPG
    tray.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 1,855
  • wheel.JPG
    wheel.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 1,806
It's looking good Ron, sorry to say this but I laughed when I saw the primer pic, an old saying came to mind "look before you leap" that must have been a crap job removing the primer, it goes on nice and easy but a bugger to remove.

Steve

Ron Earp

Admin
No joke on looking before you leap - that was a crappy job. About 3 hours to put it all on well, and, about 12 to get it off. The adapter plate/motor plate idea used is a good one and is one of the best I've seen for engine/transaxle location and mounting, as well as the rear tray. Those silly valve cover tees have to go though!

Sandy

Gulf GT40
Lifetime Supporter
Ron Earp said:
...Those silly valve cover tees have to go though!

I have a draw full of them, at the time I thought they were a good idea but after bumping them and getting tangled up in everything and always loosening up they are now scrap. Mine were nice Ford Blue :D :D

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey,

The tires are 275-50-15s rear, and 255-50-15s front. I'd use 225s on the front next time around, 255s are not needed. They are Hoosier DOT road race tires and are completely unsuitable for any rain at all - even a drop. But, for track work you won't find a better tire short of a slick. I'll get the number out of them and post.

Here is a picture of the Lola re-assembled. I had to put it back together to fit the TR8 in the garage in preparation for the Daytona race next weekend.

Attachments

• lolaleftside.jpg
    lolaleftside.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,949

Ron Earp

Admin
That is the last and will go quickly, but it really was a PITA to do the entire car. Lola's are small, that is short, but they seem wide and long - every bit as big as my Jensen Healey and seems a tiny bit larger than a 40, but hard to say. I think the really flat and wide rear deck with no features give you the impression of size.

There is a little bit I left on the back too, but I still have those two holes to cut out and it is on the place being cut out - so not cleaning that off!

Back