Building a center dash display - feedback?

There's potential for such things in the not too distant future, but military-style technology is mostly out of reach right now. Even reusing the available automotive HUDs is problematic since they are designed as a system that includes a specific windshield.

Haptic controls are virtual. No parts exist to wear or break. They weigh nothing. Talk about "adding lightness"!

Ummm... no. Haptic controls by definition include physical feedback. They are not virtual, weightless, or unbreakable.

There's potential for such things in the not too distant future, but military-style technology is mostly out of reach right now. Even reusing the available automotive HUDs is problematic since they are designed as a system that includes a specific windshield.

Thanks, Mark: that's good to know.

I post mainly to inspire, to show direction, to point the way.

And look at all the SL-C owners have come up with: the basic foundations of visual, non-mechanical representations of data, non-physical (meaning haptic with your caveat) interaction with the car, and the programming and the hardware selections already being made. Amazing!

And with Tm and all the others working on it, I bet you they can do some amazing things! :)

Haptic controls are virtual. No parts exist to wear or break. They weigh nothing. Talk about "adding lightness"!

Ummm... no. Haptic controls by definition include physical feedback. They are not virtual, weightless, or unbreakable.
True: the force-feedback in the gloves would have parts that would weigh something, require power, could wear out, break, etc.

But forcefeedback gloves are new tech: tiny, light. They replace the Count Lucas (the Prince of Darkness!) switches that we dread so much. :eek:

(Serious question) Have MTBO intervals been established for the different parts of haptic systems?

(Not serious question) (Gasp!) Oh, NO! Has Lucas come out with haptic systems????? (Be afraid, be Very Afraid . . . . ) :)

Bassanio et Portia

random.. but you do NOT need a special windshield for a HUD. i have updated other cars with HUDs, and did not swap windshields. It is about 90% as good.

Ken Roberts

Supporter
random.. but you do NOT need a special windshield for a HUD. i have updated other cars with HUDs, and did not swap windshields. It is about 90% as good.

Same with the current generation of C6 Corvettes. Lots of owners add hud later on without the special coated windshield. I've never heard of a complaint.

I don't want to flood Tim's thread too much but a couple of things:

1) Haptic feedback in the reference to tablets is very simply a tiny motor somewhere inside the device which just has an off centre weight on the output shaft. When you touch the screen it just spins briefly causing a vibration and is the 'feedback' your brain needs to work better with touch screens.

2) I really really wanted the the HUD on the rental Camaro I had for a month to be a gimmick but when it was gone I missed it way more than I thought I would. No matter how little you think you glance at the dash and radio, with the hud I found I virtually never looked or felt I needed to look again other than what was on the road.

This is combined with steering wheel buttons to surprising very good effect, to the point where previously I had dismissed the idea of using one and following the K.I.S.S. principle, to really missing it and considering working out how to retrofit a HUD.

It only needs to display very simple information and even stuff you wouldn't think would be useful (like flashing turn signal indicators), Chevrolet have got it nailed certainly in the Camaro I drove and I'd imagine the Corvette is much the same.

I am so fascinated reading this thread. Never knew the technology was so readily available. I bought an arduino 4-5 years ago and never put it together, maybe ill go find it, build it, and play with it some.

For example, Sweden's cockpit for their JAS 39 Gripen fighter:
SaabJAS39GripenCockpit002.jpg

Bassanio et Portia

I make the housing that holds that heads up display screen, half of it is the projector, the other half the electronics and i gotta say its a pretty damn big part, about 30" long so i can imagine a lot of stuff goes in there. we also make the HUD for the 787 and they are about half the size of the gripens.

keep up the good work guys!

Cam used HUD in his car. I think the extreme curvature of the SLC makes it tough.

This thread has inspired us. We're now thinking of going a different route for our gauge cluster. Just a little bigger than the Koso but it provides a lot more information.

Gauge Cluster - Detail

I have found this unit Clarion CMS1 source commander Marine stereo it will let you plug in any usb device, you can mount the head unit anywhere in the car and the controls panel is small enough to mount on the dash or console you can hook a rear view camera through it and it will hook up to a tablet or I phone for viewing. MP3 sirus etc...
and has a few differant choice's for control panel a square or Round.

Attachments

• Clarion CMS1 Source Commander Marine Stereo Reciever + Amplifier #r.jpg
    Clarion CMS1 Source Commander Marine Stereo Reciever + Amplifier #r.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 290
Here's the original thread, anyone looking for this technology, its here and ready to go. Mimod is making this system and will make a touch screen to fit in the dash for the SL-C. I am hoping to do a group buy anyone interested please let me know.
Cheers.

Back