Buy new 351w block or used engine? Pro/Con?

At first glance the intercooler looks a bit small, also what kind of power are you looking to make? The T04E turbo is rated at 450hp each so again what kind of transaxle are you planning on using?

Yes, the intercooler is no good. You'd need twin intercoolers, and the MK2 body style with the intercoolers mounted in the back behind the big air vents.

Not crazy power 450-500hp. I love the whistle of turbos. Would run it low boost. If a stronger transaxle becomes available later on for realistic $ I just have to turn up the boost.

Do you think the pieces in that kit are any good? Brand of turbo? Are off-shore knock-offs on the market yet? Pretty low price for two turbos and all the other goodies.
-------------------------------------------------------
Here's a link to a guy who put a slightly enlarged 351w in a mustang with a DIY twin turbo installation. http://www.denverspeed.com/mustang.html

Last edited:
I’ve heard of people using the T04E turbos in mustangs for some insane power so they should be ok. The thing is that because you are putting that into a gt40 there is not a “kit” that will work. (Hope your good a fabricating and welding) The kit looks like you get a lot for your $$ but you might want to look and see how much it would run to just by them without a kit. If you look here Turbos / Turbo Chargers Performance Racing Products for International Sales from SSAutochrome Inc. they have the T04E turbo for $200 per turbo.

Here is a youtube vid of a superformance gt40 that has twin turbos YouTube - Dallas Performance Twin Turbo GT40 Superformance 1200 horsepower they are using a air to water intercooler but you can get an idea of how custom it’s going to have to be.

Thanks for the links. Great video.

I'm working on my fabrication skills. So far the aluminum welding looks ok. I've got a Lincoln squarewave 275 with water cooler. Steel is easier. Still need more equipment but it's coming together slowly.

So I guess some T04E's with integrated waste gates would make more sense than plumbing external waste gates?

Anyone know who the guy is on here with the turbo GT40 and if there's a buildup thread?

The only problem with internal wastegates is sometimes they are too small. So lets say you want 6 psi, when the wastegate fully opens not enough exhaust gas bypasses the turbine (because a 351 is pushing a large volume of exhaust) so what happens is your boost creeps up higher then you want maybe 10-12 psi. Normally not a big deal, but because you only want 450hp you are going to have to run a very low psi to keep your power down. So if your boost is creeping up to 10-12psi that could easily be making 500-600hp and broken transaxles.

It'd sure be a helluva ride at 12psi!

I'm just thinking.... external waste gate would have to go from somewhere before the turbo flange on the header(s) to the exhaust exit side of the turbo? I dunno if I'd want to plumb that in myself

i thought an external wastegate would either dump back into the exhaust system (well) after the turbo, or dump to the atmosphere, which could be muffled.

Peter,

I just saw your post. I purchased a new 351W from Ford-crate engine. I did not use the front sump oil pan or the MSD distributor that came with the engine. If you are interested in them, let me know.
Thanks
Tom

I was wondering what style sump has enough clearance in the gt40? Thanks for the parts offer but I've got too much else to do before starting on a gt40. Just kicking tires at this point.

Back