CA Emissions

Couldn't find anything in the search but;
To register RCR cars like the SL-C, SL-R, or SL-N in CA do they have to pass CA smog/emission tests?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks!

Ya, if I had to go down the cat. - then test pipe route I wanted to be prepared.
:)

BTW it just occurred to me there is a key difference between the SLC situation and this document which IIRC is written from a kit Cobra point of view. Both Cobras and GT40s (one of which I just took through the process far enough to secure a precious SB100 number) are replicas of a mid-60s car, and thereby are subject to the smog laws of either the body's "year" or the engine's year. For 1966 this means essentially no regulation other than maybe a PCV system.

But I don't know how this works for an SLC which is not a replica of anything nor is it likely to use a mid-60s engine block. So, I would suggest researching the FFR GTM, Ultima, etc., forums and/or talk to someone who has done this with an SLC or something like it.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Wow. That is a hell of a process. Even taxes your own labor? California, shame on you.

Oh it gets worse... that's just the letter of the law. Then you get to deal with DMV people who don't understand the process, and they can really screw you up. Oddly enough, there is one DMV office (San Clemente) which is famous for being expert at the process, I think because they are the local office for the CA legistlature representative who authored the original bill. IAE, I tried the first office local to me that had a near appointment time (San Diego, Normal Heights), and after an hour was getting information and direction that was clearly incorrect (I think in part because the person I was dealing with had very poor reading and reasoning skills, but there was no arguing with her). So I hopped in my car and drove an hour up to San Clemente and voila had the hard part done that afternoon. But only after writing a $10,000+ check. And yes, about $350 of that was sales tax on my own labor.

Howard Jones

Supporter
One aspect of the law states that If the car doesn't represent any other car, like a cobra, 356 Porsche, or GT40 then the year of record for smog purposes will be 1960. I believe this is ment to cover a home built one off orginal design of the builder but could cover SLC's also. This is the best way, because you will be using the body year for smog requirements and you can put any motor you want into it.

The other way to go would be to use a 1966 engine and just pick year of engine instead of year of body. Or use a LS-XX series, oem computer, emissions stuff and cats and go with current engine year and smog requirements.

Please note that there are al lot of DMV people who understand this process but then there are a lot who are not completely up to speed on SB100 also. If you are going to do a specially constructed vehicle in Calif. then be sure to find a office of the DMV AND the employee who understands this law. If you do it's not really all that difficult. Just follow the steps and don't get creative.

This law is for FIRST TIME REGISTRATION of a car..... EVER. I don't think it will matter where is was constructed but you will pay California sales tax on the kit and other parts. If the car has been registrated in another state and you want to bring it to California and re register it here then that is a straight forward change of state vehicle registration.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm

Lastly Calif has a ongoing enforcement program that has reviewed 1000's of cars. Mostly kit cars and their ilk. DO NOT screw around with vehicle registration. Pay your taxes and do all the paperwork and it will all come out fine.

Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
One aspect of the law states that If the car doesn't represent any other car, like a cobra, 356 Porsche, or GT40 then the year of record for smog purposes will be 1960.

Yes, despite my earlier concern which I post-edited while Roger was replying (sorry!), this is the escape clause in the bill for an SLC with modern engine:

"The referee shall assign the 1960 model-year to any specially constructed vehicle that does not sufficiently resemble a previously manufactured vehicle"

And this from the DMV web site at http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/spcns.htm

"Per California Vehicle Code §4750.1, the first 500 program applicants in each calendar year may choose whether the inspection is based on the model-year of the engine used in the vehicle or the vehicle model-year. If the engine or the vehicle does not sufficiently resemble one previously manufactured, the referee will assign 1960 as the model-year."

Last edited:
Howard --

Are you certain of that? My only knowledge of the 1960 rule was that it applies where you were using the engine year option and the engine's year was indeterminate (eg from a car that had never been imported to the US).

It's that exact issue that concerns me about the SLC-with-LSx case, but I could not find any language in the Vehicle Code, etc., that describe that situation.

I've not been through the process yet (buying a house, and it needing lots of work, got in the way :(), but I share Howard's understanding.

You can ask to be assigned the year by body style or engine age - it's your choice. As the SL-C is not a replica, it defaults to 1960.

Jim,

its no different than an Ultima, GTM or an SL-C...they are all eligible through the SB100 programme...in fact I am pretty sure that Rob Mesa already has an SB100 for his unfinished SL-C...
The SB100 creates an exemption for the smog/emissions rules that would otherwise apply.

Yep
I have my number, but I have not finished the car nor have I finished all the paperwork. There is one other SLC in Cali that has it's number as well. As I understand it (and the number of Ultimas and GTMs in our state confirms) the car will default to the 1960 rule as it does not reflect any previously existing automobile.

Although there is a number of things to hate about our state...the weather and geography are not among them. I drove up the coast from LA to SF yesterday morning, glorious - 70 degrees, calm seas, beautiful sunshine. Almost made me forget about all the taxes....almost.

Back