Can Anyone ID This Chassis #

This has actually been bugging me for some time, cant seem to find the identity of this chassis number, the car was at the Monterey Historics last August. It is an early chassis (note the dual tail lights) and has the vents in the roof line behind the doors. Its been painted the 1075 color scheme, but has the #16, heres a link (I hope)
#16 Gulf Car (front)

and
#16 Gulf Car (rear)

I hope someone can put this little mysterey to rest, thanks in advance.

I saw that car too, and wondered about it... I saw it in the paddock, but don't remember seeing it on the track at all during the weekend.

There is a GT-40 Car No. 16 listed in the program - it's P/1028, and it looks like this could be the car. According to Legate's book, it was "resprayed Gulf colors for a TV advertisement in 1981."

Hi Steve

1028 also had Halibrands for the Gulf commercial, so it looks like you're right.

Cheers

Rob

Guys, I suspect that something is listed wrong here. Only the prototypes and the first seven cars had the roof vents. I can just barely see them, but if they are there, the chassis number can be no higher than P1007.

Right you are Mark, upon closer inspection what I thought were vents, aren't. good eye, frankly I'm going with the 1028 conclusion, in Spain's book there is a picture of 1028 w/ Gulf colors and a #6, if you look at the car in the link you can tell someone added the #1 next to the #6. its sometimes difficult to tell cars apart when alot of them are painted as 1075. Thanks again

I also saw this car at Monterey, it was running weslake heads with a single carb.
I think it is 1028, the front wings look higher than usual (same as 1010)and this seems to show in Ronnie Spains book also. The people standing by the car were the owners.

Attachments

• 32807-DSCF0014w.JPG
    32807-DSCF0014w.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 268
Back