Can I convert a GT40 to a "Spyder"?

I have been a long time fan of the SPF GT-40 and actually was one of the first to put down a deposit on the cars when they were first introduced.

Long story short---I simply did not comfortably fit in the car, even with a Gurney bubble.

I'm about 6 ft 2in and 240 lbs and found the laid back windshield, the removeable steering wheel, and the fixed side windows to be simply too claustrophobic and impractical.

I had basically given up and had resigned to possibly finding a 2005/2006 Ford GT as cars with miles are turning up in the $130k range.

However I have seen the "prototype" ERA MKII Syder as well as one or two others (race cars). No word on price----

I spoke with an SPF dealer and he and I discussed the feasibility of buying either a new or used SPF car, and modifying it with a "Targa" roof without side windows. No more headroom issues---no claustrophobia.

I know it's kind of a crazy idea----anyone else ever kicked it around?

Dandy Don

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
We have a customer who is doing this. I can also supply the original GT40 roadster windscreen form him. We have someone who will do the modification if you wish. We also have another option that we can offer if you want to PM or email me for details.

Safir Engineering built some GT40 MK Vs that had a standard windscreen, but no top. The offered a snap on vinyl cover and intended to do a clamp on fiberglass cover but never did. Safir also had a "split door" setup where the roof inserts on the doors were removable to allow increased headroom and fresh air. This also can be done on an SPF by our guy.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Don - Have you thought about having a dropped section installed in your floor?
Also - there are other seat manufacturers that may have a solution for you as well.. It may not be as comfortable to sit in, but it sounds like you don't fit well anyway...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Don - Have you thought about having a dropped section installed in your floor?
Also - there are other seat manufacturers that may have a solution for you as well.. It may not be as comfortable to sit in, but it sounds like you don't fit well anyway...

Randy,

Not an option in a GT40 (original or SPF) as the tub has a reinforcement running from sponson to tunnel as in the attached picture. The SPF seats are moulded foam and can be "shaved" for extra room but you will only gain abot .75". In some replicas where the seats are "bolt in" to the floor that may be done but of course you lose the ground clearance.

Attachments

• tub2.jpg
    tub2.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 502
We have a customer who is doing this. I can also supply the original GT40 roadster windscreen form him. We have someone who will do the modification if you wish. We also have another option that we can offer if you want to PM or email me for details.

Safir Engineering built some GT40 MK Vs that had a standard windscreen, but no top. The offered a snap on vinyl cover and intended to do a clamp on fiberglass cover but never did. Safir also had a "split door" setup where the roof inserts on the doors were removable to allow increased headroom and fresh air. This also can be done on an SPF by our guy.

I sent you an email on your project. I would like to know more and get your contact info.

Regards- DandyDon

Don,

Safir GT40 Spares, LTD makes split doors for GT40s. The doors are split just above the window where the top of the door turns to form the roof section of the door. We have supplied split doors to several owners. Safir partner, John Sadler, has split doors on his car #1124, and Ellis Hubbard has split doors on one of his two cars, #1097. We could supply them for a Superformance car.

Best regards,

Bob Wood
513-600-2979

Thanks to Rick Muck and Bob Wood for some great information.

I thought my idea was "avant garde" and it sounds like others have gone down this path with great success.

Regards,

DandyDon

The last I saw the yellow CAV was still avalibe at a big discount, I remember $55k as a roller...........................(about 3 month's ago via the San Deigo dealer)

The yellow targa is now the blue targa i picked up at BJ last year.

I am enjoying it - but will probably take it up to the Monterey historic auction in August and sell it - looking to pick up a Fountain 48 to play with.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Jesse... Sorry to hear that you've tired of your GT40 so quickly... From what I've read and heard - the money you'll get for the GT40 will buy a few loads of fuel and a couple of oil changes for the Fountain.. You must live close to the water!

The original Gt40 roadsters looked quite different, I think using the squarer roadster windscreen that Rick mentioned would have to be the best looking option. I imagine there is a bit involved in changing the side windows and A pillar across?

I bought one of the CAV spiders (or targas). Just finished converting it to a coupe (all in the timing). Mine was bought in Ca. Was told there were 4 of them built. I saw one one of the other ones in Tucson that was undergoing a rebuild after wrapping it around a fixed object. It was also yellow. It is a comfortable ride for 6'2 and a big guy (I am about the same size). If you want more room you can go to the foam seats (like SPF) instead of the seats that come w/ the CAV. I still have the doors and rear body molding if you want them. I have tried to attach a picture of what it looked like.

Attachments

• _MG_9406 r1.jpg
    _MG_9406 r1.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 456

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
We have offered removable door tops as an option for the last 15 years.
We also have a new spyder version coming out soon.

Thanks

Andy

I can offer you removable door tops, either full fiber, or just as a frame with a makrolon window inlet..
I am currently playing with a set of removable door tops made of aluminum, also just as a frame with a window inlet, but I guess this will be to expensive for resale once it is done ...

If you are interested send me a pm pls...
cheers
(C)arlos

I bought one of the CAV spiders (or targas). Just finished converting it to a coupe (all in the timing). Mine was bought in Ca. Was told there were 4 of them built. I saw one one of the other ones in Tucson that was undergoing a rebuild after wrapping it around a fixed object. It was also yellow. It is a comfortable ride for 6'2 and a big guy (I am about the same size). If you want more room you can go to the foam seats (like SPF) instead of the seats that come w/ the CAV. I still have the doors and rear body molding if you want them. I have tried to attach a picture of what it looked like.

Mike,

Do you have a price in mind for the doors and rear clip? You can PM if you want ...

Ian

Back