Canadian kit car laws

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
you seem a little too happy considering the government is appealing

I think Dave is just hoping that the issue gets resolved.

Chris, thanks for sending the letter to HB AND for posting his reply!

Unfortunately, if the Fed Court loses the appeal (or right to appeal), the next course of action will likely be for the Government to alter the wording of the law to ensure that kits are still prohibited. The up-side of that is that there will be a period of a year or more (my guess) before revised legislation could be written, reviewed, tabled in Parliament, voted on and then approved (as it would likely be). Which gives at least a potential window to import a roller kit like a Superformance without contravening any laws. :) Start planning and saving!

I think Dave is just hoping that the issue gets resolved.

Chris, thanks for sending the letter to HB AND for posting his reply!

Unfortunately, if the Fed Court loses the appeal (or right to appeal), the next course of action will likely be for the Government to alter the wording of the law to ensure that kits are still prohibited. The up-side of that is that there will be a period of a year or more (my guess) before revised legislation could be written, reviewed, tabled in Parliament, voted on and then approved (as it would likely be). Which gives at least a potential window to import a roller kit like a Superformance without contravening any laws. :) Start planning and saving!

I'm guessing (praying) this won't change much else in the kit car import laws (for the worse), just that you won't be able to import a rolling chassis from Superperformance etc.... and that it'll still be the same song and dance for the other kits.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead...

But WOW, that is some good reading. Big thanks to all the posters and misc pics/attachments.

So it looks like even if you ordered a deluxe kit from say RCR, etc perhaps they could break it into 3-4 different shipments and different invoices. Ship them across over a 2-3 months. Prob get thru without trouble as "autoparts".

Looks relatively easy for British Columbia.... ICBC | Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

More info on u-builts and trailers: ICBC | "U-bilt" vehicles and trailers

Here's the pdf form for applying for a VIN for replikits, ubuilts, etc for B.C.

Here's the inspection form/report for imported vehicles (same rules for kitcars or ubuilt) for B.C.: http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle_inspections/PDF/MV3199W.pdf

When I brought my 2001 F250 in from Arizona that was a bit of paperwork too. Don't go to Canadian Tire for inspection either, they will rob you blind.

Last edited:
I have been following this thread for some time.

Has there been any news from TC since they lost the appeal?

I plan on importing an inexpensive complete vehicle parts set (per R. v. Macro) to test this new case law.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Let us know how it works out. As far as I know, TC has not changes their rules and will still attempt to stop any importation of a complete kit.

Why not just call Transport Canada directly and ask the question? They are bound to be honest and as stated before, might even guide you as to how to achieve your goals.

Good luck.

Mark

Let us know how it works out. As far as I know, TC has not changes their rules and will still attempt to stop any importation of a complete kit.

Why not just call Transport Canada directly and ask the question? They are bound to be honest and as stated before, might even guide you as to how to achieve your goals.

Good luck.

Mark
I know TC's answer. It is clear on their website. I have no doubt the shipment will be seized as inadmissible by CBSA, and we'll have to go through the dispute process.

I will check out that company.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
CanAm,

Welcome to GT40s.com

I would like to encourage you to read our FAQ here;
GT40s.com - FAQ

In particular - item number 2 (User Names)..

Please make the appropriate adjustments..

Thanks! :thumbsup:

CanAm,

Welcome to GT40s.com

I would like to encourage you to read our FAQ here;
GT40s.com - FAQ

In particular - item number 2 (User Names)..

Please make the appropriate adjustments..

Thanks! :thumbsup:
No problem, but would this not be better addressed in a PM, rather than calling me out on the board? Especially since your post is off topic?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
No problem, but would this not be better addressed in a PM, rather than calling me out on the board? Especially since your post is off topic?

Sorry if you don't like my approach.
The rules are the rules. I did not make them - but I do help enforce them. Perhaps others will learn by this as well.

Thanks for making the change and welcome again to the GT40s community.

:thumbsup:

This has been a very interesting string of information.

I am not sure it addresses the question I have.

Can I buy a car that is already assembled and licensed in the US into Canada?

For example: If I want to buy a Superformance GT40 that is already running on US roads and bring it into Canada, can I do that?

If so, How?

In a word.... No......Unless the kit was essembled over 15 years ago and you have paperwork to prove it, you shouldn't have any problems.... I have a feeling the superpro your refering to is probably less than 15 years old.

Sorry.... we all wish it was different.

In a word.... No......Unless the kit was essembled over 15 years ago and you have paperwork to prove it, you shouldn't have any problems.... I have a feeling the superpro your refering to is probably less than 15 years old.

Sorry.... we all wish it was different.
Edit: yes, unless it is partially disassembled per R v. Macro.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Edit: yes, unless it is partially disassembled per R v. Macro.

...and you're willing to go bankrupt fighting the Federal Government.

A Superformance car titled as a 196X car will almost certainly be stopped at the border. Those guys are trained to find obvious targets like a new Cobra (or other) posing as an older car. Apparently they have seized a bunch of newer Minis that were incorrectly tiled as older cars.

Mark

...and you're willing to go bankrupt fighting the Federal Government.

A Superformance car titled as a 196X car will almost certainly be stopped at the border. Those guys are trained to find obvious targets like a new Cobra (or other) posing as an older car. Apparently they have seized a bunch of newer Minis that were incorrectly tiled as older cars.

Mark
Actually, I make money doing it every day, especially when we have a judgment on our side, as we do in this case.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Here's what I've learned over the last several years (ymmv)

1 - There are only 2 or 3 people at TC who deal with kit car issues. They are never around, and will never respond to your inquiries unless you have an established relationship with them

2 - TC hates kit cars. Hate hate hate hate hate. We are the bane of their existence. If it were up to them, we'd all be sent to the crusher.

People are making this far too complicated.

1 - Do not directly involve yourself with the government to explain to them why you think you can twist and torque their wording/policies to allow you to do such and such in order to get your kit across the border.

2 - Do contact the company you're interested in dealing with (RCR, CAV, SPF, FFR, etc.....) and ask if they've sold to canadians (pretty much everybody has) and if their kits are importable. Everybody does something different. For example, FFR will delete parts (and charge you the same $$$ =) ) from the kit which will make it admissible. They will refuse to sell you certain things (e.g., complete kits, suspension, etc..) even post-kit-order in order to comply with TC.

Failing that, move on to another company who carries what you want and is importable.
........Or rent a cargo plane and do an air drop ;)

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Alex,

We've all had different experiences. All I can say is that when I phoned Harry B at TC, I got him the first time I called. I explained what I wanted to do, forwarded him the documentation on the car I wanted to import (a GTD) and he agreed to (and did within a day or two) write a letter saying that TC approved its importation for me to give the Customs people when I imported the car. I was in and out of the Customs border office in 15 minutes when I brought the car in. The letter helped a LOT. Having a 17 year old car helped a lot too.

I know others who have not had it so easy in their dealings with TC, but the TC people ARE bound by laws and they are not likely to lie to you about what is possible WITHIN the law. You are correct that they don't like kit cars, but they look at it from the safety standpoint since that is their relevant mandate.

Mark

Back