CANAMSA - SA stratch build

thanks for kind words Phil

To get the engine in, the rear upper space frame/ rear stays section is removable, bolted in at 10 points.

This frame shown is still a protoype, with several of the tube joints not properly made, some tube sizes still to be decided, and the joints only partially welded.

Once I have a body, I am going to buld the car up to running the engine condition in the proto frame, then finally build the real frame and swap all the bits over.

I do intend to simplify the front and rear of the frame once I have finalized the suspension. I will do this once I have the WOW (width over wheels) dimension correct, and for that I need the body. Can't stand some kit / replica cars (not on here though) where the front wheels are on a hopelessly narrow track for the body style.

Cheers
Fred W B

Great to see the photos Fred. Nice progress, and it always feels good to get back to a project you're passionate about after a long break.

I'm looking forward to seeing your next batch of photos.

You're definitely correct about WOW, stance etc. This is the most important part of the art, and so many do so much work and get this bit so wrong.

Keep up the good work - the more Lolas out there the better!

Fred, if you think we can be of assistance please give us a call at 041-3981300. Our agent in the UK, Nigel Hulme, has a T70 and I am sure we could get photo's, details and any measurements you may require, from him. He is, in fact over here now, with his car, racing with the David Piper crowd in Cape Town.
Regards, Jim.

Hi-Tech Auto said:
Fred, if you think we can be of assistance please give us a call at 041-3981300. Our agent in the UK, Nigel Hulme, has a T70 and I am sure we could get photo's, details and any measurements you may require, from him. He is, in fact over here now, with his car, racing with the David Piper crowd in Cape Town.
Regards, Jim.
Jim, Nigel wouldn't be related to or son of the late Denny by any chance? An awesome Australian motorsport legend, and a real loss.

Hi Jim, your offer of assistance is very much appreciated. I will call you.

Some progress photos.

Longitudinal "skewers" planned straight and to size to fit holes cut into stations

buck%201.5.jpg

Every fifth opening gets a transverse stiffener.

100_3596.jpg

Rear section of buck framework almost complete.
buck%20feb%202.jpg

buck%20feb.jpg

Cheers

Fred W B

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/buck feb 2.jpg

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
roclery said:
Jim, Nigel wouldn't be related to or son of the late Denny by any chance? An awesome Australian motorsport legend, and a real loss.

Richard,

That's a wind up, right? Just because you guys haven't got your own CanAm legend, there's no need to steal ours!
Shades of Phar Lap all over again! ;-)

Fred,

That's an awesome project and a helluva lot of work. Great stuff.

Cheers

Roger, No Nigel is not related to Denny at all. Nigel also owned 39PH, the well known Jack Sears/Willment cobra, for a long time as well as a Mclaren M6. Some guys just have to much luck!

Russ Noble said:
Richard,

That's a wind up, right? Just because you guys haven't got your own CanAm legend, there's no need to steal ours!
Shades of Phar Lap all over again! ;-)
Cheers

How best to recover from that gaffe?

Defensive? - "Well, he is a legend in Australia!"

Offensive? - "Next we'll be claiming Bruce McLaren as well. Just watch this space. Might claim JacMac and Ross while we're at it for good measure. Ross lives here like Phar Lap (used to). You might be next - ever been to Australia?"

Embarrassed? - "Bugger, sorry"

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
roclery said:
- ever been to Australia?"

Nah! Too many Ozzies there!

Actually, I'm thinking of doing the GP or Bathurst next year (watching, not driving!!)

You can't have Jac Mac until I've finished with him!

Actually Richard, you're right, Denny is not only an Australasian legend, he's also at least one in North America and probably elsewhere

Sorry about the thread drift Fred, couldn't let that one go without taking the piss.

Normal programme resumes.

Cheers

I also have a slight Australian connection, in that my Father was born in Melbourne. His family moved to SA when he was 14.

Made some progress on the front section this weekend.

Cheers

Fred W B

100_3659.jpg

Nice work!

A few years ago i built a super seven clone, with a home-made GRP body of my personal design (slightly different from the original lotus/caterham design).

I used a similar technique as you, with a shell-model in CAD, printing 1:1 scale drawing for wooden frames etc. For the mould i used thin strips of board on top of the frames, creating the shapes. Plaster and polyester filler for the last finish. In retrospect i should have made the plug from a carved styrofoam covered with brown clay... Much faster approach.

I am now planning the next project: a T70 spyder! I have two options for the body: buying a body or making a one-off. As a "die-hard" person i will probably ending up with a one-off....
I wonder if it would be possible for you to share some of your measurements for the body?

Cheers

P Carlsson

I wonder if it would be possible for you to share some of your measurements for the body?

Hmm. Like posting the CAD file in a universal format?

Yes, either that or more preferably the measurements from the 1:18 car.
I guess he used those when he made the CAD model.

P

Yeah.

I'm presuming that the measurements:
1) Came from the 1:18 model,
2) Were loaded into the CAD program,
3) Were reviewed, validated, corrected, smoothed, etc.,
4) Finalized, and
5) Used to create the buck.

It's the "finalized" CAD file that would be valuable to someone looking to create their own buck, or am I missing something?

-- P

Sure, depending on the file format.
And i guess that there is always a way to convert the format. Do anyone know if the Inventor format (DWG?) can be converted to Catia or solidworks format?

Hi guys

Thanks for the interest, but I'm not sure I'd be happy to share the complete model. In fact the CAD work (which took a hell of a lot of hours) was done for me by a friend as a favour at no charge, so I don't see it as mine to give away.

It you want any dimensions that I can measure from my buck, feel free to ask. Wheelbase is 2400 mm, WOW will be about 1750 mm.

I have described the process we followed in previous posts above.

Cheers

Fred W B

Ok, Fred.

I respect that. I would probably feel the same way....

I will follow your progress with great interest! Keep it up! :lol:

PC

Back