I measure the RV8 exhaust port centre spacing as:

port 1 to 2 = 107.5 mm
port 2 to 3 = 155 mm
port 3 to 4 = 107.5 mm

Cheers

Fred W B

ports%20001.jpg

ports%20003.jpg

thanx! will check against an GM LS1 tomorrow and post results.
another question: what's the bore on the primairies?

BTW I will probably visit Speedon this week Fred, I'll try and make some beter pictures and measurements of the nose cone section. but I think since their body came right out of the mould it has not been "finnished" yet so it maybe only a big flashline or such.
will take piccies anyway!

the company owner has visited GD last week and brought some colour samples for me..... jippie, getting coles and closer,
yet still the neighbours think I'm building a little boat! :) till the see the handbrake lever that is
can't blame them since without suspension it kinda looks like one indeed!

Grtz Thomas

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I believe the LS1 is 111.8mm spacing, same as the bore spacing. This is an assumption based on the "un-measured" headers I've built, the fact that the intake ports are equally spaced, and GM's design concept for this engine of creating all combustion chambers and ports identical from bore to bore.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Chris

Just finished constructing the parting fences for the first sections of the nose mould.

Now to take them off again, so I can get on with the favourite job - Waxing!

Cheers

Fred W B

2nose%20fences%20jan%202011%20004.jpg

2nose%20fences%20jan%202011%20006.jpg

Hi Fred , these molds look quite substantial. You might be able to get more than one body out of them . What is the chances that you may go into a small production run selling bodies ?

Z.C.

In case he decides not to, which would be very reasonable since it's still a lot of work to make a body after you have the molds, here is an alternate source for an accurate copy of a real Lola Mk.2 Spyder, which will fit on a real chassis or a dimensionally accurate copy thereof:
Toluca Lake Classic Motorsports

I would expect you're looking at ~$10K+. The materials and labor for a body are approximately $5500, which I know from the McLaren M1A, B and C bodies we do. Which is a lot of money on the one hand, and nothing if you figure the time it takes to do this, especially including making the molds.

To make these molds, if you had a body to splash, would likely be in the range of $20K or so, but per hour it's probably not minimum wage unless you have a lot of experience and all the stuff to do it.
No, we don't do Lolas. I'd buy a body from these guys if I wanted/needed one. Lolas are prettier, except maybe for the M1A. M1B and M1C aren't ugly, but they're not a T70.

Actually, even if I wanted to be able to make my own,(not a bad idea if you're going to take the car on the track and therefore are likely to need more pieces) I'd buy one of theirs and just copy it.

Doing this from scratch (as oppose to splashing another body) is an absolutely amazing accomplishment, especially if it would fit a T70 chassis.

I sincerely hope that an even more careful and thorough job is done on the chassis, since that's really the car, this is just beautiful cosmetics. It's standard practice to drive the completed chassis without the body to shake it down and set up the suspension, then add the body after it all works properly.

If you don't just copy some known good geometry, and the T70 was/is known as an extremely nice driving car with no vices, please be very, very careful, especially with the geometry. It's most important that it not do anything funny, especially at the extremes of the trafel, and most especially at full compression when it would be heavily loaded. Many geometrys are fine in the middle of the travel but diverge drastically at the ends, and that will get you killed.

This is not golf, and is a classic example of :
"We do dangerous things very, very carefully" - William Slaughter

Otherwise what you have is a truly gorgeous piece of scupture, but not a car to be used in anger. That's my heatfelt opinion, at least.

Please be careful.

David Merritt

Thanks for the responses guys

Z.C. - I am certainly planning that it would be possible to make more then one body shell, should the demand be there. I am not working up any business plans on the strength of it though.....

David - Thanks for the concern. I have spent even more time researching suspension design than I did on fibreglass pattern/mold/part construction, so am reasonably confident I can come up with a geometry that is safe, even if it is not the latest state of the art. I am not attempting a T70 replica chassis.

I am also aware that once my car is first together, the real work starts - it's called development. Never did understand those websites you see advertising a new all singing all dancing kit car, when they don't even have photos of a complete running car to show. Not that I think I want to get into supplying a complete kit car, seems like much to much hard work and hassle for the return you get.

Cheers

Fred W B

It's been a while. I've been battling on with the outside sections of the front nose mold.

Hassles included:

I took a chance with some old tooling gel coat, and had to scrap two weekends work when it became apparent the stuff would not harden properly.
Finding a local supplier who would sell less than 20kg of tooling gell took a while.
Removing the parting fences was problematic.
I managed to put some dings in the pattern.
Turns out my parting fence placing is less than optimal in some areas.

to the extent that I have finally had enough of this, so I've given up. This has taken far too much time and money to be sensible and I don't have the strength to carry on.

I have not yet decided if I am going to sell all the running gear bits and pieces I have collected/made or put them into something else. I'll let you know in due course. Must just get over scrapping and disposing of the pattern first.

Thanks all for all the support in the past.

Cheers

Fred W B

Fred,
So sorry to hear you are thinking of scrapping it, but you are nearly done?? Would it not be better to just shut the shed doors, go on holiday or just have a month or two off it. This i`m sure would give you time to think of a course around the problems you are facing. It`s not as if you have spent a few months work on it and such a decision needs plenty of thought. I was fortunate in that I had Harvest to do (July/Aug/Sept) and did not even look at my project for nearly 3 months, it was the best thing, as I was fresh and full of energy to get going again.
I`m sure, as with everyone else on this great forum they will all say please re-consider.
Failing that I will have to book a ticket and come and give you a hand!!!:laugh:
chin up and best regards Chris

Hi Fred,

I have to agree with Chris you are so close don't give up now!
Patience and enthusiasm wax and wane, walk away from it for a bit eventually it'll drag you back.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Hello Fred !

Given todays date, I can only hope this is an April FOOLS joke. I'm pretty sure it is, as you have too much time and money into it to abandon it now. Please prove me right.

Regards Brian

Thanks for the responses and enthusiastic support. As suspected, the last part of my post was a leg pull, I am still very determined to finish this damn thing.

Cheers

Fred W B

Thanks for the responses and enthusiastic support. As suspected, the last part of my post was a leg pull, I am still very determined to finish this damn thing.

Cheers

Fred W B

Had me, hook line and sinker, but then I know what it entails!!! will cancel me ticket then!!!:laugh:

Back