Car cover for the SLC?

Ken Roberts

Supporter
Is anyone using a car cover that fits? Do we have enough owners interested in getting one custom made for our cars? Does anyone live close enough to a manufacturer to get a cover correctly sized? Maybe we can get a group buy going.

Or is there a production mid engine car that has a car cover we can use?

Ken

I have had a few quotes from companies for a cover ...but the volume was a little low to make the price work.

The other issue is indoor/outdoor/weather ... lots of options , which would be the hot ticket??.

I would be happy to have one of the guys at the shop follow this through as an available product if we could get a good idea of what you guys want...

I looked into this a while ago. There is a cover company that is in CA, and can travel to a car with a hand-held scanner. Once the car is scanned, a custom cover can be produced in any of the usual fabrics. But the cost is around $1000 IIRC.

One problem is that the differences in our cars might make the process of a custom fit difficult. For example, does the scanned car have hippo ears, or the old-style side mirrors-- or even something non-stock? Is there a wing, and where is it mounted? And of course, there is a difference between the race and street tails. One of the advantages of kit cars - their variability- works against us here.

With all that said, I'd be in for a custom fit cover that works for my car (hippo ears, race tail, wing, etc).

Park it and leave it, car covers are the worst invention ever from a detailer's perspective.

Dust on paint >>>>>>>>> cover on paint that will probably marr it when being put off/on

Drive in "bubble". Doesn't touch, isn't specific to shape and you can still walk out in garage and drool over it at any point. I'm fairly certain they are available with some UV protection sufficient for indoor storage.

This should clear Alex's criteria and provide some protection to the car.

If you leave it gel coat i wouldnt worry about it. I had my 65 lbs dog put 2 paws on the top of the hood and drag down, leaving pretty decent marks. A little rubbing then polishing compound, back to normal. I'm pretty sure i wouldnt have gotten my 911 paint back to factory perfect. It's nice not to worry as much on a day to day basis too.

Back