Carbon GT mono

Urs

Supporter
Here some more pictures of the chassis

and Scott ,it s a early allison 250 now it goes to check.

and at last something that should be also as nice as driving a 40!!

Attachments

• Foto218.jpg
    Foto218.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 1,858
  • Foto217.jpg
    Foto217.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 1,825
  • Foto163.jpg
    Foto163.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,701

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Are you going to run it direct drive or with a transaxle? What are the power figures for that engine? Really sweet build!!!

Urs -

Are you seeing steel rise in price faster than carbon cloth? It seems carbon has not increased in price as much as steel (I mean % increase) even though I see people talking about a shortage of carbon. I am now considering making my car out of carbon, or at least the driver / passenger compartment.

Urs

Supporter
hello chris
nice to hear something from someone who is on the same way!!
you have pictures from your project?

Urs -

I am not building yet. I want to start this year but there are many other things going on at home which is slowing down the design. I have my engine (Audi 3.6l V8 from the 1990 V8 quattro), Audi 016 transaxle from a 5000, Corvette C5 brakes and wheel bearings, Datsun 260Z steering rack, and Corvette C5 windshield. I am not finished yet with the suspension layout and since I still have time I am still working on the aerodynamics. I still have not even decided if I will put the engine radiator in the front or on the sides! Plus, there is structural analysis to do on important parts like uprights....

That is where a lot of the fun is though - designing!

Good luck with your project - I am always checking for updates.

Urs

Supporter
In the moment i couldnt work very constant on the car.But i have good news.
The ZFQ is waiting for us (Thanks to Chris).I had contact with Bilstein for our suspension,And i had contact with some guys who had registrated theyr car as X registration ,and it doesnt look bad for us!!
now i startet on the suspension Dummy made of wood ,that we can take of the forms for a carbon upper and lower A arms.

Attachments

• DSCF1552.jpg
    DSCF1552.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,210

Urs

Supporter
Last saturday was a great day !! We could show our mono to the ZFQ the first time !!!! And it was also nice to meet Chris Melia and Martin Gough in our workshop (I m waiting for the picture with me on the roof of the car ;) )
We did talk a lot and i think it s a nice contact also for the future.We had a little adventure on the border in Basel but we masterd it.
This week i also could do some work on the chassis. I fitted the rcr front uprights to the Wooden A arms.Now we have to measure what the wheel ist dooing when the suspension works.
I will post some pictures this evening.

Urs

Supporter
Here some pics.

Attachments

• IMGP1843_800x600.jpg
    IMGP1843_800x600.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,806
  • IMGP1880_800x600.jpg
    IMGP1880_800x600.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,948
  • IMGP1881_800x600.jpg
    IMGP1881_800x600.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 1,783

Urs

Supporter
We had a lot to do but not on the gt :( We builded a paint shop :)
and i builded the lower front A Arms left and right ,we will do the suspension with a belly crank ,so that we can place the damper unit on the top of the chassis nose in horizontal position.

Attachments

• P1010026_800x600.jpg
    P1010026_800x600.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,156
  • P1010028_800x600.jpg
    P1010028_800x600.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,870
  • P1010029_800x600.jpg
    P1010029_800x600.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 1,639
  • P1010032_800x600.jpg
    P1010032_800x600.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 1,306
  • P1010030_800x600.jpg
    P1010030_800x600.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 1,550

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Hey brian .
you mean the allison?:blank:

Yes, sorry for the long break in response.

You're going to power this car with a gas turbine right? Or is it going to be with the 427 SBF? It's going to be sweet either way. LOL Gas turbine would be killer though...

Hi Urs Love your Job!!!

Can i ask how you controled the shrinkage when laminating the chassis,and did you use a balanced laminated ?
In your first pic was that the plug when you used ply to form the shape then moulded it ?
This would be great !!! Then we could all order a chassis from you..LOL
Those lower control arms are fantastic,are you going to use full carbon in their layup?

Last edited:

Urs

Supporter
Thank you paolo

@keohep:
What did you mean with the shrinkage?
I builded ribs and i covered them with plywood, like wing of an airplane.and i could use it again.You can place the order = )
To the a arms:
At first, we build them fully carbon an we will look after weigt an stiffness.But it could be a possibility to put in a core to save weight.
At second we study about to put in uniballs that you can do more changes.

Hi Urs

Ok I think im on thye wrong track.

So are you forming up ply panels, then useing the ply as the mould then removing the ply to leave the carbon as stand alone panels.

The times ive layed up on a foam core trying to control shrinkage has been a big problem especially when laying up on one side at a time,but if your laying up on ply then the ply would be strong enough to hold its shape.

Would you be using vynl ester resin or epoxy? Ive found epoxy resin to have very low shrinkage. Even Less when Vacuumed.

Can I ask you if your making a mould of the full chassis so you can just lay up in the mould and use vacuum bagging technics, and add foam core and hard points.

What do you mean by uniballs?

Urs

Supporter
I only used the Ply as negative for the Bottom.I drawed the Chassis on CAD,Then i printed out the Plates, then i cutted out de PVC Foam and i covered them with carbon on both sides.then i fitted together the plates an i laminated them together to the chassis, after this, i do the strengthenings and hardpoints where i need them.I take the epoxy which we use for the aircrafts.we never had problems with shrinkage.
It also could be a possibility to take off molds from the chassis but now we building up in positive build.
I meant uniballs on the ends of the a arms.

Back