Carbon GT mono

Urs,

Congratulations, on both the baby and the project! This thread was bought to my attention by a chap on Locost Builders, there are several of us over there hoping to create a composite monocoque in one form or other (myself included on a scratch design) so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread :)

I'm particularly look forward to seeing how you tackle structural mounting points.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Now i had a short brake in bulding the mono.
We get a little daughter:D 3 weeks ago ! now i had a short baby brake

Yesterday we get the engine from Roush
It s a 427 IR and it s a real masterpiece.And it s amazing what you get for the price.
Today i place the bulkhead in the chassis and i laminate the inner side of watercooler pipe tunnel.Now we have to build the hinge points for the engine and the hinge points for the suspension tubes at the bulkhead.
The parts from Fran are also on the way :)Thank you!!

Congratulations on the family addition!!

Yeah the value of the American Dollar has plummeted on the world market - I'm sure that the prices do seem pretty good to those on the outside looking in. As it was for many years in Oz and other places - we are now stuck with it...

Hello Uls,

Congrats on the baby, I just had my first late last year. Its good fun, but I think your free time to finish this tub will be significantly reduced along with your sleep!

I have some questions about the carbon tub project:

1. What is the overall panel thickness, and what ply orientation/weave are you using?
2. What are you using as a core material?
3. What are you using as an insert material for threaded holes and localized attacment reinforcement and load bearing plates?
4. What adhesive are you using to bond sections together?
5. How are you dealing with corrosion if you are using metalic inserts and/or core?materials, what is your expected lifespan for the tub?
6. Are you curing at room temp or in an oven or autoclave?
7. Are you changing diapers too?

Cheers
Eric

Urs

Supporter
Hello Uls,

Congrats on the baby, I just had my first late last year. Its good fun, but I think your free time to finish this tub will be significantly reduced along with your sleep!

I have some questions about the carbon tub project:

1. What is the overall panel thickness, and what ply orientation/weave are you using?
2. What are you using as a core material?
3. What are you using as an insert material for threaded holes and localized attacment reinforcement and load bearing plates?
4. What adhesive are you using to bond sections together?
5. How are you dealing with corrosion if you are using metalic inserts and/or core?materials, what is your expected lifespan for the tub?
6. Are you curing at room temp or in an oven or autoclave?
7. Are you changing diapers too?

Cheers
Eric
I have a 10mm PVC plate the Bottom has 4 unidirectional diagonal layers,1 layer to the length and 1 to the side and 1 layer diagonal Aramid,The side of the tanks has a armid kevlar layer with possibility to let it sightable. on the upper side of the bottom i have now two layers diagonal.
the rest of the plates are all covered on both sides with 2 layers.And they will be enforced where its necessary.
To fit things on the chassis i cut out the PVC and i laminate some layers around or i put in a very strong gluelam like it s used in aircrafts.
for glueing special parts together we use 2K 3M glue.
For Fittings we try to do the parts changeable as easy as possible that we dont get some problems with corrosion.
We let it harden at normal room temperature.
And for the last question : What are diapers:thumbsup:
i think laminating is easyer than changing diapers.
this week i build up the spider section so that we can laminate the spider
and the mono together next wheek.
after that we start with fitting frans parts on the chassis.
in 2 weeks we would do the load test with our first full carbon airplane fuselage.:stunned:

Have you tackled re-inforcement at structural mount points yet? If so what are you doing in these areas?

The SVA people in the UK seemed most concerned about these when I was discussing my plans with them and will want to see photographic evidence of reinforcements!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
What are diapers:thumbsup:
i think laminating is easyer than changing diapers.

Certainly smells better than diapers (to me anyway)... :stunned:

Good work Urs... Hang in there and keep the updates and pictures coming!!!

Urs

Supporter
Today i took the Carbonfibre spider out of the molds. it looks very great and it s very very strong and light. the rollbar ist also included.next week we would place it on the mono.

Sounds good. Very good project. (the chassis and baby!)

Forgive my ignorance, when you say PVC, you mean polyvinylchloride honeycomb, or something else as core?

Are you vac bagging any of the structures for de-bulk?

I have decided to use diapers if i have any fluid spills from now on, the volume of absorbtion is really amazing.

cheers
eric

Urs

Supporter
it s not honeycomb it s a foam plate.And for the radius we take on one side cutted foam.
we vacumed the bottom of the chassis.

Urs

Supporter
befor we vacume we put on a pulling down web that we can work on withound sandpapering and above this a fleece mat to suck out the epoxy

soory i dont know the special english words for this things.

Urs

Supporter
here some pictures of the mono.
the weight until now 40kg
sorry for the bad quality of the pictures i ll try put in bether pictures

Attachments

• IMAGE_002.jpg
    IMAGE_002.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 2,157
  • IMAGE_003.jpg
    IMAGE_003.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,173
  • IMAGE_004.jpg
    IMAGE_004.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 2,969
  • IMAGE_029.jpg
    IMAGE_029.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 2,150
  • IMAGE_033.jpg
    IMAGE_033.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 2,291

Urs

Supporter
now we start with building up the front hinge points with carbon ribs.
that s only the outer part now i have to laminate the inner part of the ribs.
here some pictures.

And at last!! For the ultimate lightweight gt40 i will put in the allison turbine!!:thumbsup:

Attachments

• Foto216.jpg
    Foto216.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,292
  • Foto213.jpg
    Foto213.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,032
  • Foto214.jpg
    Foto214.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,108
  • Foto215.jpg
    Foto215.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 3,015
Very nice

Urs ich habe deine Maße nicht vergessen, kann nur erst am Samstag wieder die Heckpartie runterheben und meßen ( bau mir gerade einen original stil Heckrahmen)

Sorry
TOM

Back