Castle Combe gathering Display and track laps Sat 17th June

From Castle Combes organiser Rodney Gooch

Anyway we would love to make the club the feature of our Classic and Sportscar action day on Sat June 17th, we would provide a display area, free tickets and a free track display, the latter may have to be behind a safety car for noise reasons but would still make an impressive display and we could stop you all on the grid for a static photo shoot.

We will also have the P4 club here—good Ferrari replicas so I had an idea to get you all on to the start line( perhaps with other suitable cars) for 3pm, line you all up on the other side of the road for a Le Mans start, so at the exact time we re-enact Le Mans from 40 years ago, we would have to get you behind a pace car so it wouldn’t be a free for all charge to Quarry and have to get you all in for a safety briefing before hand (we would have to “work it” but it would be a fun thing and a great photo opportunity and I would like to think something a lot of people would like to be involved in.

Our sound limit for the day is 100dba but as this would be a parade and only for 3 laps we could work around that.

Hope this will tempt your guys out as I think the idea would excite the Magazine

Regards
Rodney

I know it clashes with Lemans

But we need to know how many cars would be available for this event?

Please contact Tim Martin or Allan Feldman

Allan.

Just to let you know that I've recieved a similar email from Maria Fisher of Castle Combe Circuit, hinting at a Le Mans '66 (or '67, in our case) demo re-run.

Here's an extract from Maria's email:

"Therefore you would fall under this category but also at the same time we discussed in meeting yesterday about it being the 40th Anniversary of the GT40 Ford winning Le Mans (we think!) just checking details so we wanted to possibly re-enact the start of Le Mans at the right time with both the GT40 Ford cars and P4 Replica where we will close track and just have your clubs jumping into cars and off you go!!

Still in early stages of sorting out and get info etc but hopefully would be a great feature!"

You guys up for it ? We might even let you 'win' !

I liked this part of Rodney's email, by the way:

"Our sound limit for the day is 100dba but as this would be a parade and only for 3 laps we could work around that."

Most of our cars, even the PRV V-6 powered ones usually fail that limit, anyway. My own car has recorded 108db on static test.
This year, we may have something a 'little' noisier on display.
One of the owners, Max Wakefield, has just dropped a 650bhp ex-F1 (412T2 ?) Ferrari V-12 into the back of his car !
Might just be O.K., if he can keep it under 3000 r.p.m. !

Hi Allan,
Pencil me in,sounds like fun as long as they do as they say on the noise front!
Cheers
Paul /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

I am still puzlled on why circuits existing for ages are putting noise restrictions especially on Ford GT40's...
I have a hard time to reduce the noise of this historic beast ...
Same experience with my MV Agusta making a noise of a F16 passing buy without an engine ...at least when i bought it...
Lucky I am Spa has no noise restrictions..UFN

Yet another little plug for this event, appears in the current (May 2006) issue of Classic & Sportscar magazine (bottom of page 11):

'The 2006 Action Day features a special Le Mans theme because both events fall on the same weekend. At 3pm, organisers hope to recreate the 1966 Le Mans start, complete with replica GT40s and Ferrari P4s, plus any other appropriate cars. The start wil be followed by demonstration laps and a grand finale with a trio of GT40s crossing the line together.
Other attendees are encouraged to take part with period dress.'

Note the last sentence: Shades of the Goodwood Revival, I think (not).

Allan.
It looks like we (The P4 Replica Register) should be able to muster 5-6 cars, despite the unfortunate clash with Le Mans.
Do you have any feel for how many of your members will be attending with GT40 replicas yet ?

Re: Castle Combe gathering Display and track laps Sat 17th J

Tim's the organiser and we have 14 names for the event so far. So it should be a good turn out.
Lets hope for fine weather. Plenty of time to practise your Lemans starts.
Regards Allan

Great turnout / great weather.

Attachments

• DSCN0079.jpg
    DSCN0079.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Back