CAV #180 Factory Roller

If CAV sets your #180 up as well as they did with my #8 it will be running in only a few days. Two guys in So. Carolina had mine running in 3 days and I took it home on the forth day. This was after the trans. and motor was built which was ready when the roller was delivered. It went together like a tinker toy. I never had a bit of problems with it. It started EVERY time like a brand new Toyota even after sitting for 3 months during the winter.

JOSEPH

PS: Here is a picture of it that the new owner sent me.

Attachments

• Blue Beauty .jpg
    Blue Beauty .jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 535
Last edited:
Joseph, that would be ideal! My rolling chassis car will be finished by Olthoff Racing vs CAV-America, but I can't think of a better place to have this done. Dennis has many GT40's in his portfolio. Btw, your CAV #8 is gorgeous!

Sam

Sam, In looking at the stunning photos of your car I saw one MAJOR revision to the build process from mine, that being the placement of the A/C condenser. This is WAY better then how the condenser was fitted to the early cars and even some 100+ cars. Its great to see CAV updating their cars based on feedback from owners. Your a/c should work even better then the system in mine which ain't bad. I would still highly recommend once you have the car to put additional helicopter vents in the side windows. I added them to my car and this is one of the best upgrades I've done. Won't be long now.

Jimmy, I've been thinking about the circular window vents. Olthoff sells those, so it would be easy to have them added while the car is there. The other window mod I am wondering about is the 90 degree opening hinges. I don't know how far the stock CAV windows open. Does it open enough to stick your arm out to pay a toll or parking attendant?

The other oops in the picture is the 3 point seat belts. Not sufficient for me in a car with no air bags. I'm informed that the hard points for a racing harness are present, so I will fit some nice 6 point Willans harnesses. Got used to those in my Formula cars. Just what one wants when crashing into things:rolleyes:

Sam

Window flaps sadly do not open far enough for paying tolls or for presenting the one fingered peace sign if needed. : ) More often then not I just open the door. Keep the pics coming please.

Window flaps sadly do not open far enough for paying tolls or for presenting the one fingered peace sign if needed. : ) More often then not I just open the door. Keep the pics coming please.

Ok, thanks, Jimmy. I'll have a look at the 90 deg hinges, then. I certainly can get along with opening the door, also. Just have to remember to leave room to do that.

For those tracking post #100 changes, I have been advised of a couple forward fit improvements that begin with #180 .. thicker side windows, and headlight and turn signal lamp access from inside the body vs having to remove the Lexan covers. I didn't realize this was an issue.

As to communicating with other motorists .. I saw a kid in a pickup yesterday that had a banner across the top of his windshield in mirror image (pardon the lack of such a font): <= REVO EVOM

Brits would want the arrow on the other end ... :D

Sam

Naked Pictures from South Africa

This weeks mail from CAV has #180 in the body mating phase. I'm not sure about the July 4th ship date, but it shouldn't be too long now ...

Sam

Attachments

• #180b.jpg
    #180b.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 668
  • #180c.jpg
    #180c.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 612
  • #180d.jpg
    #180d.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 564
That will be a darn nice looking car Sam.

I see they put the turn signals above the fog/driving light. Same configuration I am planning to do later this week.

Thanks, guys! Darrin, the turn signal goes in the round hole on the bottom on every CAV photo I have. The fog light goes in the rectangular hole on top. I am told that new to this serial number, bulbs are changed from the back side so the lexan cover does not have to come off.

Sam

Hey Sam,
The car looks like it is coming along great. How is the drivetrain advancing?

Thanks, Mike! I thought you'd approve of the color scheme ;) I was not trying to match you exactly, but CAV didn't understand "wide stripes" the same way I did ... oh well. The motor and transaxle are sitting at Olthoff's in North Carolina. Dennis is going to finish the car for me. It will be a Keith Craft 347 stroker making 492 hp and a new RBT trans.

Looking for a new ship date this week as we are upon the last date they gave me.

Sam

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Sam,

Alistair and I spent some time with a new CAV at Goodwood last weekend.
It appears that we have a new CAV dealer here in the UK and I'm sure he will do well. It's a very sweet looking machine.

Congratulations on your new build.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you, James! I wish I had been there, and not just to drool on the CAV. I thought I had seen a notice about the new UK distributor. The factory news page has it: CAV | News

I assume you examined #178, the F1 Red with war paint. I would love to see a photo if you have one.

Best regards,
Sam

CAV #180 Chassis Completed

Today's report from Cape Town advises that the factory did make the July 4th goal for completion of #180 :D The car is being packed for shipment. Load out for the ship begins this Wed. Sailing date is next Sat. Here are the latest pics:

Attachments

• 20140704_192218.jpg
    20140704_192218.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 507
  • 20140704_192131.jpg
    20140704_192131.jpg
    283.5 KB · Views: 514
  • 20140704_191439.jpg
    20140704_191439.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 489
Sam, The car looks incredible. Fit and finish look good. I couldn't see the wheels.

You win, and my car is not for rent after all.

-Bob Woods

Bob, I estimate it will be roadable sometime around early Sep ... barring unforseens. Or "unknown unknowns" to quote Secy Rumsfeld .. Here's a pic of the wheels .. they are 15" BRM replicas, polished alum rim and gray painted spokes.

Sam

Attachments

• 20140704_191628.jpg
    20140704_191628.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 441
Sam,

Just stunning. Our cars will be quite similar. I'm now looking at September at best myself. Do you have a picture of the dash and interior?

-Bob

Back