CAV back together

I finally got the CAV up and running after a long hiatus working on other cars. The webers worked well at the first start. I will tune later this week.

gt014.jpg

Chuck, what do you like better? The CAV or the SPF? I'm sure that each is different and it's tough to beat the originality and hp of the SPF but are there distinct differences which are significant in terms of driveability/livability?

Eric, I think those are Firestones, and they seem ok, Avons would be better

Cliff, hard question since the SPF has so much more power. The SPF seems more the race car as would be expected, the CAV quieter. I am partial to MK1's as far as looks goes. As I drive the CAV more again I will be able to expound on that question.

Pat, the shifter is much better. I need to fine tune the webers as I am getting some popping and lag around 2700, typical of webers. I enjoy that part however.

I pretty much have the webers running like a top with almost no stutter except when starting off on an incline, where I get some stumble and maybe a little pinging. I think my idle circuit is a bit lean so I am going to try some .100 idle jet holders. My idle jets are 55 and 60's were way too rich. The car runs better than ever, with great throttle response typical of webers. They look fantastic and sound great. I love tuning webers, it has always been one of my favorite parts of working on the car. They can be trying, but well worth the effort. I would also highly suggest insulating your entire interior ( I used 3/8 inch neoprene over dynamat). The sound levels are vastly improved and heat gain is negligible, you just get a more solid feeling car. Ians shifter upgrade is also proving to be money well spent, with a silky shift feel almost like a T5.

Those two cars look great.
Mine should be here Thursday after more than 18-19 months.
One day will have to see yours in person and vice versa after some other car projects of mine are finished.
Have a great Mother's day but bet you have rain like we do.

I have noticed that when I turn my headlights on that my tach reads 300 or so rpms higher, any thoughts as to what electrical gremlin is causing this?

Chuck, Pats suggestion is right on - take a real close look at the engine ground strap (perhaps even replace) for oxidation. I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a bad engine ground strap - easy $10 fix.

motor started running very rough today and I suspected more than a poor tune. I found this. Can you tell if it is a 50oz balance or a 28?

57e43002.jpg

Ian Clark

Supporter
Yikes! Hi Chuck. I just looked at the damper on my setup engine. It marked E4TE-A3A with a small circle next to that with a capital "H" in it. This mill came out of a 1986 Lincoln so it would be a 50 oz. unit. Hope that helps.

Back