CAV GT fuel gauge not working

When left fuel tank is selected, the left fuel pump works but the fuel gauge shows zero, when I know the tank is almost full. However when the right side tank is selected the Gauge works fine. Any ideas? Should I look at the sender?.

It will be the sender or the wiring. My guess is a bad earth, just because 75% of all electrical gremlins are due to a bad earth. A quick check with a multi meter will tell you where the problem lies.

Pat

Supporter
The senders are very easy to check. Pull the oval plate under the carpeting covering the top of each sill. In the fuel cell you'll find the sender with some slip-on connectors that may simply have corrosion on them.

Last edited:
When left fuel tank is selected, the left fuel pump works but the fuel gauge shows zero, when I know the tank is almost full. However when the right side tank is selected the Gauge works fine. Any ideas? Should I look at the sender?.

probably no ground to sensor. Just put a ground wire to the mounting flange and see if it works.

TOM

Pat

Supporter
One thing, I assume you can hear the left fuel pump clicking away when you select it. That would indicate the switch is probably good.

If you are still having problems with the fuel gauge, I have the same problem on mine, the fuel sensors ar switched through a relay in the front,
when sitting in the car its the last one on the right.

My problem how do you remove the seats

Thanks

Pat

Supporter
If you are still having problems with the fuel gauge, I have the same problem on mine, the fuel sensors ar switched through a relay in the front,
when sitting in the car its the last one on the right.

My problem how do you remove the seats

Thanks

I assume you mean the fuel gauge seats. There is one portion of the gasket that is cut away a bit and just enough to get a small screwdriver in there to pry it up. Once you remove the gauge, you may want to check that the float moved freely.

Back