CAV GT40

Thanks Ian. Your response is much better than the one I was preparing (and deleted before posting)
grin.gif

Bill D

No prob Bill. I was just sitting here at
work and had nothing better to do
wink.gif

frknfast - you really can't go wrong with
any of the turnkey minuses - CAV or RF.
It all comes down to how close to original
you want it, how you plan on using it, what
options you want, etc.

Ian

All thanks for the info. I'm getting very close to making a decision. Talked to Gord Levy also. Very helpful and sounds like a very nice and knowledgable guy. I await his info.
Dan and Vic (if I can be so bold to assume and no offence to others) what part of Italy are your families from?

frknfast, My dads family is from Caserta, not too far from Asisi in Italy. My mothers family is from Palermo Sicily, but my parents families came over here but my parents met here in in the US. Someday I hope to visit Italy its a beautiful country and culture.
About the car.. I will defiitely be posting pictures when the car gets here. It is the standard body MK1 style. Darker Red metallic. Setup for the ZF transaxle. 17” wheels. The motor will be a 351W with Edelbock heads and an Extreme Energy cam, and Edelbrock pro-flo EFI.

[ March 20, 2003: Message edited by: Dan Dinverno ]

Dan what is the eta? Sounds great. I can't wait to see pics of the beauty. Are you talking victor jr heads/ if so just put them on my cobra. can feel the difference in pull and car sounds deeper/throatier. Are the wheels halibrand or brm style?
By the way I was born in Canada. My dad is from Cosenza, Calabria (very very hard heads- no wonder I prefer concrete over wood)and my mom is from Codroipo, Udine- Friulana.

Howard Jones

Supporter
When I bought my GTD going on 4 years ago I had wanted a ERA at first but just couldn't afford one. At that time the basic "kit" was 50K. After some research it became aparent that a ERA was going to run up to about 80-85K completed. So I started looking around and found the GTD guys in england seamed to be completeing and driving several GTD's for less than half that amount. I found that there was one complete, unstarted, kit for sale just 10 miles from my home in calif. and I could count on the guy who sold it to me for support. He had built at least three others and had a completed one at his home of his own. Anyway to do it today would be a different question with the other kits that have become more and more refined. But yes I am very happy with the project as a whole. This leads me to the most important issue at least for me. SUPPORT AND PARTS!!!! I cannot express enought the importance of a up and currently running parts network along with other's of the breed in your area jsut to go over and look at from time to time. The more you plan to do yourself the more this is important. I think most people would do the best with a car that is a roller. I.E. all pannels, Glass and bodywork FINAL fitted. The systems assembly is all pretty much straightforward and you will want to pick out your own brakes, motor, wheels, etc anyway . By the way this is how the ERA's come. But they are 55K now, less motor, gearbox, brakes,and much more, I believe. Also the gearbox can become a major line item cost wise. The RF's can use a audi which is the least expensive gearbox option. The renaut gearboxs are harder to get and only the R21Turbo has in my opinion the proper final drive ratio. 3.44. Here in the western US the diff.'s in the 3.9 on up ratios are not suited to open road speeds, freeway driving. This is important to get straight before you select a gearbox type. The new developments in 6 speeds etc. seam to be working on this problem but you should decide on the gearbox issue, final drive ratio, as part of the question when you decide on which kit you want. Everything else can be moded later, brakes. more hp, wheels, tires etc. but once you have a car that is designed for a given gearbox type this is the most envolved modifcation you could make changing to a differnt gearbox maker. I.E. audi to renaut. But the whole thing has been a blast and I have met some really fine people. Good luck!! Oh and I forgot to mention the MDA's from england. I believe that they have just about added all the good development mods to the GTD chassis. The basic GTD is a pretty well made car but development stopped on it,at GTD anyway, right about the time I bought my car. The MDA's seam to have carried on with refinements that would ,will, should be done on my car someday. They use a renaut gearbox that can be upgraded with Quafe LSD and other internals that can live with a 400+ hp motor. Anyway another car option and another consideration. My mom was from Calabria also and my wife says I have a VERY hard head. Maybe this is why I like fitting the body together. Just stubborn I guess. Get a roller, leave the body fitting to someone who has experience.... or whose mom's from Calabria.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Howard Jones ]

Howard not being of the mechanically inclined type, I'm for sure going turn key minus. If I was I would w/o a doubt go the way you suggest. I agree support and parts are just as critical as make. No good getting a car that when broken down one can't parts for or help to repair to high and exacting standards.
By the way your mom must be one tough lady! lol

Frknfst,
The wheels on my car will be the halibrand style. One option that CAV offers is the ability to use the 351W and also the ZF transaxle. Both of these are things I wanted in my GT40. On top of all that I am getting the 6 speed ZF at a more reasonable price through CAV. I dont think I can mention the price but it is better than the price offered by RBT directly. Back when I was building my Factory Five Cobra I asked about installing a 351W. They told me that I didn’t need any more motor then a 302.. plenty powerful enough. I personally believe they made this statement because one couldn’t install a 351 in the car directly w/o some mods. After a number of people started putting these motors in, Factory Five made the necessary changes needed to accommodate larger motors. Now I believe that most FFR cobra owners would install a 351W over a 302 if given the choice, and could get a good deal on a 351W. Earlier last week I spoke with Dave Wagner the local CAV dealer, and he told me he is installing a 427 big block and the ZF 6 speed in a customers car. He is currently working out the specs to do this because the car isn’t readily setup for such an install. I was surprised.. personally I have no interest in big block motors.

[ March 21, 2003: Message edited by: Dan Dinverno ]

Don I agree. My SPF cobra has a 351 W stroked to 396. Very powerful, fast and handles great. I think 302 is just a little to light on HP. Once one gets used to the car MORE HP is usually the first things one looks for. I intend to go with the ZF as well (5/6spd?).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Once one gets used to the car MORE HP is usually the first things one looks for. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know if you're specifically talking about Cobras, but this has not been the way I have operated with cars that I have owned. In my case, it's been a matter of finding the weak link, the limiting factor, and upgrading that, then finding the next weak spot. Initially power is rarely the first concern for me. It's usually suspension (sway bars, springs & shocks), then brakes. Wheels/tires, ... I'm talking about production cars, of course. I could tell you stories about matching lap times with a car that had at least 150HP on me - he'd pull away on the straight, but I'd be right on his tail when we made it back around to the last turn on the track...

But I may be drifting a bit off-topic here...

Steve
I think you make a very good point. I've always enjoyed driving a 289 Cobra much more than a 427. The 289's were the one's that won the championship. Better brakes are very important if you want to go fast on the track.
Best
Jim

Jim I would agree. My opinion was based on the SPF cobra only, which already has a great handling pkg - Wilwood racing brakes ,Bilstein shocks and large sway bars front and rear. Plus the car is very well balanced.

Ok guys it's ordered. The CAV GT40 Gulf. The planned specs are:
Full Gulf specs-colours,wider fenders
Ford 351W stoked to 396
48IDA carbs
Original style oil pan
ZF tranny (5spd or 6spd-undecided)
BRM 6 spoke orange wheels
Leather interior LHD
Other than the above the car comes complete. Should be here in May. Just in time for the summer runs. This will be the first CAV in Canada.
Can't hardly wait.

Congratulations !!! Sounds like a very nice setup. Is there a CAV dealer in Canada? I’m within a week of receiving my car. I’ll keep you posted.
Dan

Hi Dan. Yes there is a dealer here. He's just getting started. It's CAV Canada-Motorsports Products. His name is Ian Clark. So not only will I have the first CAV GT40 in Canada, I'm his first customer and also the first Gulf GT40 here. Now I have the same anticipation that you have,except yours is much shorter. Can't wait to see your pics.
Can't wait for delivery.
cool.gif
grin.gif

Frknfst,
I am exited about getting the car. The only thing to slow the process of completion is the Transaxle.
Hopefully it works out to come in the non to distant future. Can I ask what your real name is? Nice to get to know the names of people here on the forum.
Dan

frknfst
Congrads.....I'm happy for you. Sounds like you spected out a beauty,
Pretty neat having the first GT40 in Canada. Keep us posted on delivery.

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: vic mastrorocco ]

Ian Clark

Supporter
A sincere thank you to the forum members for your expert and open opinions about the many different GT40 replica manufacturers. Your input was instrumental in helping to bring turn key and roller GT40 replicas to Canada, thanks again.

Back