CAV rear CVs and axles

Hi - my first post. I have a 2001 CAV (gulf colors) with the FMS and Audi box. I think I am hearing a CV going bad in back (left rear), and was wondering if anyone here knows what the make/part numbers are for the CVs and axles, and where to get them? I live in Phoenix AZ. Thanks. Steve Lisa

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Steve,

Pleasure speaking with you on the phone today. If you had a ZF application I could have sent you the parts.

Give JC Peformance in CA a call 805 473 0908. They've done well over a dozen CAVs and may even have some spares on hand.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Audi 016 boxes have two different flange sizes, 100mm and 108mm. The turbo box uses 108mm CVs. Try to measure the diameter of the CV. You'll also need a spline count for the axle (likely 28 or 33)and thickness of the joint (typically (27mm to 44mm). Taylor Race Engineering, http://www.taylor-race.com, has a variety of replacement CVs in street and race versions. If it's just the CV you need remove the axle, pull off circlip retainer, remove the old CV and take proper measurements.

Thanks for the help. I made some phone calls, and we have the right (I think) CV joint coming. Once we figured out it was Audi stuff, we pulled the axle and went to the local Audi dealer. He confirmed it, and then promptly wanted to charge is $184 plus a $100 core charge for the CV. We made a few more phone calls and got one coming for $90.

We are taking the car out for an open track day at Firebird Sat night. After that, I am thinking about pulling the axles and sending them out to be beefed up with race versions of the audi 5000 cvs. Or, do you guys think the stock CVs are good enough? Thanks again.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
CV Joints: 'Lobro' joints - Trevor Taylor races a GTD in the UK and has beefed up his Lobros. I believe he is now using approximately 105 mm diameter as the previous (95mm) were continually failing. I think he has about 600 hp under the loud pedal.
I followed suit and discarded the 95 mm. It meant a change of drive shafts as well and after an abortive attempt at having some made by Tornado here in the UK , I made my own with EN24 steel. I have since done some homework and EN30 (which could be gun barreled and case hardened) would be the better way to go.
Dave M

Back