cav starter

anyone know what startermotor was fitted to CAV out of the factory? my car has a 5speed Audi transaxle fitted with adapter plate to a 302 ford small block, starter is mounted to the forward side of the bell housing, the solenoid is getting a little weak and I want to replace it. it is a Bosch starter made in South Africa, part number on the starter is: 9 000 694 o43, part number on solenoid is: 331 303 505, any help greatly appreciated , thanks in advance, Neville in New York.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Neville, the solenoid is a common Bosch part. Take the starter to a local alternator/starter re builder. He'll have the part, install it and make sure the brushes, bearings and bendix are all ok, refresh as required. Safest thing to do. Also you should check over all the battery grounds, battery to chassis, chassis to engine block and the positive high amp wires as well for tight, clean connections and no corrosion.

Cheers
Ian

Hi Neville, the solenoid is a common Bosch part. Take the starter to a local alternator/starter re builder. He'll have the part, install it and make sure the brushes, bearings and bendix are all ok, refresh as required. Safest thing to do. Also you should check over all the battery grounds, battery to chassis, chassis to engine block and the positive high amp wires as well for tight, clean connections and no corrosion.

Cheers
Ian
Thanks Ian, was wondering what car this starter was fitted to originally, starter is in perfect condition , the solenoid is a little on the weak side. I am a mechanic and do all of my own work so replacing the solenoid no prob, thanks for your help and input, Neville.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Neville, no doubt you have gone through all the parts cross over guides and searched the part number online in your quest. What I should have said is that the solenoid is a common part if you have twenty years experience in Bosch starters.

There are many OEM parts on the CAV GTs from Tier 1 companies who were supplying South African market specific parts, so the numbers won't cross over. All the big car companies had factories in SA at the time as well.

That's why I suggested going with the expertise of a re builder, preferably a guy who has over a decade in import cars. Then you'll get the right parts and service done. He might sell you just the solenoid, however consider giving him the rebuild, it what he does and we need these guys.

Cheers
Ian

Pat

Supporter
I agree with Ian, taking it to starter/alternator shop is by far the easiest option. They'll bench test it and even paint it. It will comeback as new. But given the numbers you provided, you likely have an 016 Audi box and the starter is probably out of a '74-'78 Ford Capri V-6. On the case says it has BOSCH 9 000 694 043 and that number is followed by the Ford #952C-11000-AA. Bosch, Lucas, Prestolite and Delco have cross reference part numbers. FYI, if you don't have at least a 100AMP alternator, you'll have issues with the starter over time. When I put mine in for rebuild, they put on a bigger solenoid and a splash guard to protect the drain hole. Where it's mounted on most 5.0L SBF engines leave them susceptible for ingesting water.

Attachments

• Starter front.JPG
    Starter front.JPG
    341.2 KB · Views: 144
  • Starter side.JPG
    Starter side.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 142
Back