Chasing P1055 at Goodwood

Glenn, your car sounds great and appears to be bloody quick. How bout some specs on your car...engine and tranny? I know you put your car through its paces at various events so others will be interested I'm sure.

Glenn M

Supporter
Thanks Jimmy,

It has a Dart block (331), Brodix heads (flowed by a wizard!), 10.5:1 compression. Used to run Webers but now have the Eight Stack Weber lookalike injection with Accel ECU. The gearbox is a ZFQ.

The suspension is standard Southern GT which gives sublime and very predictable handling - which helps the lap times no end.

I have to say I am really pleased with the package. Changing to that F.I. was one of the best moves I made, it transformed the driving experience and unleashed more power - a win win situation.

The ZFQ is (imho) brilliant - well chosen ratios and a change like a hot knife through butter! I am very pleased with it.

The silencers are Southern GT's own. They work without any wadding or packing, sound great yet get me in to 105db days with no worry - in fact I turned up to a 98db day by mistake recently and still got through........just!

I'm probably a bit biased, but I love it!

Glenn

Thanks Glenn. Obviously yours is one helluva car which is tested hard and appears to handle whatever can be thrown at her. A true testimony for any replica so well done to all involved in its build.

A couple of things come to mind given how you use your 40.

Is it used more for race then street?

The number of hours driven versus the amount of maintenance time? IOW, does your car hold up well (In Your Opinion) to how its driven?

How much would you consider its value to be given the current market and the fact Southern GT is fairly new to the GT 40 replica world?

There is no doubt that Glenn's SouthernGT, and his ability as it's driver, is proving conclusively that the SGT is by far the best UK constructed GT40, certainly no other UK made car shows any competitiveness to it on the circuits. As a car that is driven on the highway to meetings, then home with the trophies, shows that the effectiveness of the package is complete. It's about time someone came up with a car to give him a race !

Malcolm

Supporter
Frank, as I tell Glenn repeatedly, he is only up front as I have retired my car! :)

Mike, if I recall correctly Glenn did win the class, deservedly.

Ron Earp

Admin
Nice video Glenn! You're having a lot of fun, maybe too much and you ought to take a break and let me give it a go! :)

Glenn M

Supporter
Thank you Guys, kind words, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

Frank

That's praise indeed coming from you, I'll have to try and live up to it now!

Malcolm

Et tu Malc, thanks. As you say, yes, I did win the class. I was trying not to crow about it but that was proving difficult!
Why not un-retire for a bit? :idea: It would be great fun and I would be very happy to pick up some tips from your long Sprinting experience.

Ron

You are more than welcome to have a play Ron you know that - next 'work' trip to UK?
I was really sad that the whole VIR 50th thing fell out of bed as I was pestering poor Ian Anderson to arrange transport for our cars over to you which would have been wicked. Taking the 40 round there would be a hoot!
Apparently though we wouldn't be able to get insurance for the road (if I'm recalling it correctly) so it all went pear shaped. Ah well!

Glenn

Back