Check out this LS intake!

I see, I see.

Btw, why the comment about the mass air flow sensor? I thought we were talking about carb .... you can't use a sensor with the flying nun (or similar concepts) because, well, they're carb'd, lol.

(unless you are making reference to an EFI system using a 4150-style manifold; but I have no knowledge at all about those types of setups)

Alex,

it was a response to a query that Doc Kaler made regarding Fast intake restriction, and thus injected systems.

The sensor comment was made regarding the general architecture of the flying nun intake.

Course, with a carb, all you need is a screwdriver...

Tom

Just looking a little closer, I notice the slip fit headers. I have always been of the opinion that those were a "no-no" on an injected engine. Especially if they are BEFORE the O2 sensors, as it appears they would be on this engine.

Could you please explain why the slip fit headers are a "no-no"? Leaks? I'm interested in the Hytech headers for another car and that is the design they use, with what appears to be much success.

Hy Tech Exhaust----The Leader in Race Exhaust Technology

Last edited:
Single outer slip type fitment will leak....and throw off the sensor readings...

The ones to use are double slip fit...a sealing surface inside and outside the initial exhaust tube...very very good and the same as we/any pro shop uses when building full race high end exhaust systems...Burns Stainless is top notch and expensive but worth it.

When working with IRL we used to have Howerton make our exhausts in inconel...they were works of art but were also over $20k per set...

Burns is much cheaper than that ....

What about ultra copper rtv'ing the slip fit joint if it's a single joint? That seems to stop leaks from them?

For a while...

What would cause the rtv to fail? My header flanges on the cobra were milled flat and I just ultra copper'd them to the heads...2yrs later no leaks (removed them to weld in an o2 bung), even though I was missing 3 header bolts (don't ask :laugh: ) ... side pipes are also slip fit and they were spewing out black crap all the time at the joint, but became perfectly clean after rtv'ing them together

The issue is leakage and how to deal with tube expansion that occurs when the headers go through the heating and cooling cycles that they do everytime the engine is run.

Slip fit connectors were the easy solution for carbed engines as there were no sensors in the exhaust. Easy to install and service also.

Then came EFI with critical sensors in the exhaust downstream of the collector, in many cases.

The slip fit connectors leak. There is just no two ways about it. They may only leak enough to affect things when the engine is cold, as the inner ring expands more than the outer due to different temperatures once everything is up to temperature, but the fact is that they still leak at some point in the warming up process. The double slip reduces this, but it still happens.

The only way to 100% deal with it is to put something that is a closed, sealed pipe in the system that can also expand and contract. Hence the bellows comment.

These "bellows" pieces are getting cheaper as this is what is used, and has been for decades, in the imports like Honda and Toyota to deal with this issue. Take a look at a frontwheel drive car in particular, and it most likely will have a piece in the exhaust system that looks like a short section of very large AN stainless steel braided line. This is just a woven stainless steel protective covering for a bellows unit.

EFNFAST- per your question, it will end up failing because of the motion produced by the continual expansion and contraction and the nature of the "slip" fit. The slipping motion will eventually lead to the failure of the RTV. This is not the case on a bolted manifold or flange. In those cases there is little to no movement and the high temp RTV works well.

Back