Check out this LS intake!

My GenII Viper had dual TB's, so the concept is not new or custom. I haven't heard of restriction problems with the FAST setup. Which FAST intake and TB combination?

My GenII Viper had dual TB's, so the concept is not new or custom. I haven't heard of restriction problems with the FAST setup. Which FAST intake and TB combination?

2x throttle bodies is a custom solution in the LS world though. I don't ~think~ anybody is mass producing them, but you can get them from custom shops like Marcellas

From everything I've understood (both from engine builders and reading ls1tech) FAST-style intakes (although I think you're pretty much limited on intake selection unless you get something higher end like a Kinsler or custom made cross ram?) become a big restriction if you're making big n/a power....they just can't match the flow of a carb-style intake.

I was talking to my builder about my engine and he felt I'd loose upwards of 70RWhp if I went from a carb-style intake to a fast-style, even if you slapped on some 102 or 115mm tb (when we were discussing carb vs efi)

All Fast intakes are designed for torque in the 2500 - 6500 rpm range. For someone looking to make absolute max power, single plane manifolds will allow better breathing and hence more horsepower, above 6.5K rpm. But the tradeoff is 20-40 ft/lbs of torque in the midrange.

I haven't followed carb technology so perhaps I need some further education. I was under the belief that although you do indeed gain the HP over TB's/EFI, this may not be the best for the lateral G's of the track due to float bowl surging and resultant starvation. True, I haven't had a carb'd car since the early 70's so I'm relying on very old data.

The way it was explained to me is that the reason the high rise with the carb is better for top end is purely due to flow. In essence the high rise and carb setup is a relatively straight and equal shot down into the cylinders. Whereas the low profile EFI units, like the FAST and stock units, have flow pathes that need to change direction a couple times before the air actually ends up at the valve, and the distance from the butterfly is much more varied than in the high rise setup. Seems to make sense to me, but as others have said, this can certainly be overcome with $$$. :)

Harrop also has a nice looking design as well. Just saw one in person two days ago. :)

All Fast intakes are designed for torque in the 2500 - 6500 rpm range. For someone looking to make absolute max power, single plane manifolds will allow better breathing and hence more horsepower, above 6.5K rpm. But the tradeoff is 20-40 ft/lbs of torque in the midrange.

But probably any trade-off can be minimized with the right selection of cam and whatnot.

Just like anything, comes down to using the right parts with the right build I suppose.

I haven't followed carb technology so perhaps I need some further education. I was under the belief that although you do indeed gain the HP over TB's/EFI, this may not be the best for the lateral G's of the track due to float bowl surging and resultant starvation. True, I haven't had a carb'd car since the early 70's so I'm relying on very old data.

You've got me there Doc, no clue either. But if I find a road where I can pull 3+gs i'll let ya know if there was any surging or starvation :D

Alex:

Your engine is going to be the highest power true pump gas (93 octane) LS motor ever. It's not even going to be a contest. You have the absolute best LS engine builder bar none, and he is putting the sickest top end available on 502 cubic inches.

I can't wait to see it finished.

This was their quote from about a year ago:

Manifold LS1/LS2 style ETC Hurricane 55mm: A$3200
(supplied w/individual trumpet and adaptor assemblies, i.e., no airbox tray)

LS1 to LS7 transition spacers A$800.00/pair

Loom Ext, LS2 ETC Conversion: A$120

Freight (from Australia): A$350

Total: A$4470 (US$3133, based on today’s exchange rate)

Yep, that's it.

If you compare it to some of the other long runner ITB type intakes, they are actually quite reasonable, price wise.

Mike,

An FYI, one of the Semper Fi team said they raised about $40K at the 25HR.

The Harrop does not include the air plenums. They can run either cable or DBW setups.

Beautiful, for sure.

Just looking a little closer, I notice the slip fit headers. I have always been of the opinion that those were a "no-no" on an injected engine. Especially if they are BEFORE the O2 sensors, as it appears they would be on this engine.

Probably just something put together for the show, but it's little details like this that many times I just have to smile about. I live by the saying, "the devil is in the details", or lack there of in many cases. :)

Crash,

I think that they are most likely using their "Double Slip Fit Collector" just for that reason.

Single plane intakes rely on a straight shot of air directly down into the manifold. Great if your car allows for a big airbox right on top, or ability to run a filter out in open (hopefully pressurized) air. But if you have overhead clearance issues, making air take a tight 90 degree corner down into the carb/throttle body will absolutely kill horsepower.

Crash,

I think that they are most likely using their "Double Slip Fit Collector" just for that reason.

IMHO the use of bellows is a more appropriate solution. :)

As I said, probably just an oversight by whoever was setting up the display.

Last edited:
Single plane intakes rely on a straight shot of air directly down into the manifold. Great if your car allows for a big airbox right on top, or ability to run a filter out in open (hopefully pressurized) air. But if you have overhead clearance issues, making air take a tight 90 degree corner down into the carb/throttle body will absolutely kill horsepower.

That doesn't make any sense (the hp killing part) - I've seen back to back dynos of an oval air cleaner and a Holley flying nun

hly64280-lg.jpg

Any there was no significant variation.

Also, the shop told me how they've seen where putting on a solid top vs something like a k&n extreme top picked up a little bit (?perhaps too much air flow was causing it to lean out too much, I didn't think of asking what happened with the air/fuel?). So with no air coming through the top, just the sides, it would have to make a 90* turn (straight through the filter, then down)

That seems (within reason, I'm not talking about using a snake-like device and routing tubing all over the car) kinda like how people on FFR intimidated me with my ?2''? drop dish in the cobra - everybody was like a drop dish will kill power. it's better to run a small filter and no drop dish. But on the dyno my (hood clearing) drop dish and large filter did the same as my (non-hood clearing) non-drop dish setup.

I'm not disagreeing that a straight shoot is always best though, just that I think hp killing is over-stating it a bit.

When it comes to areas of aero dynamics, it is best to just try it and measure the results as different combinations will perform differently.

This is relatively easy to do with engine intake parts and a dyno, but doing it with aero affecting parts like bodywork is a whole nother story.

That said, I can state with 99.99% confidence that an SLC is more aerodynamically efficient than, say, an F150 pickup truck. :)

Unless, of course, they are both just sitting at a stop light. :laugh:

Alex,

That may well be - I was referring to those tight 90 degree elbows that people have sometimes used. If I could offer a theory as to why the Flying nun intake works, you have two airstreams colliding in the middle at 180 degrees, creating relatively even flow down through the throat.

An elbow forces the air through a hard turn, where all the air stacks up at the outside radius, creating an uneven flow of air down through the throat.

For anyone running mass air, the location of the sensor becomes a critical element, one that would be hard to accommodate in the flying nun setup.

Back