classic le mans track time last call!

hi ron,
why would you want to take a trabant around le mans?you would be flat on the accelerator. in half an hour you'd probably get one lap :D as i mentioned earlier i dont think we will get this at the next classic le mans in 2014, joke in a part, i will garuntee if you have payed up you will get track time in a gt40.
regards dick.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

Is this a one-time event (50th aniversary of the cobra kind of thing)?

I would not be able to do it this year, but could start planning for one of the next few years.

Ron

Ron

In 2010 I managed to get the first ever half hour session and believed we would never gat another chance to run the cars fast at the track.

They offered 2 sessions Ferreri bought one straight off and the Gt40 club got the other, much to the annoyance of Morgan, Porsche, Jag, Aston, Lotus, Bentley etc.

We were very fortunate to be offered a session this year as the theme is American motors and cars with American power plants.

(Sorry I pad locked me out)

Now Le Mans Classic is every 2 years so next will be 2014, then 2016, 2018 etc and it is always the weekend closest to Bastille day 14 the July

When may the GT40 club get an oppertunity again - perhaps 2016 or 2018 being 50 years from GT40 victory - provided such year is not a "show" for Porsche Morgan etc.

So if you can get your car over and make the effort this year - the future may never happen and remember the Mayans recon it all ends this December!

Ian

Last edited:
Message for Dick- a potential club member has approached me, he's got a nice Cobra and was wondering, as the 289 Register and their Cobras are kindly helping to coordinate the track session, can he bring his car if he joins our club? I understand allocations are filling fast, so what are your thoughts? I put this to other interested committee members as well... Andrew

Ian,

I wish I could, but I have to request my vacation 6 months to a year in advance....all of 2012 was spoken for as of about one and a half months ago. Really no choice now.

Of course, if I win the lottery in the near future, I'll quit my job and see you at the track.

I'm at least hoping to get some track time at Laguna Seca this summer during the Historic races...fingers crossed.

I'm sure you guys will have a ball!!

andrew...
obviously i cannot persuade him on the choice to decide wether to join the 289 club ot the gt40 enthusiasts club, but if he is a member of the gt40 club i cannot see why i should not except his car on the track with us at le mans. so its his choice! i think bill would except him and so should we. :)
regards dick.

andrew...
obviously i cannot persuade him on the choice to decide wether to join the 289 club ot the gt40 enthusiasts club, but if he is a member of the gt40 club i cannot see why i should not except his car on the track with us at le mans. so its his choice! i think bill would except him and so should we. :)
regards dick.
sorry for the late reply

Hello Dick.. yes, that sounds sensible. As Gautier is allowing Cobras, then as long as they are a member of either the GT40 club or the 289 Register, then they should be able to take part in the track lap session. Cheers... Andrew

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hello everyone

I have just been speaking with the committee about this and numbers are a lot lower than those signed up at the same time 2 years ago.

So where are we?

If we do not get a number of cars suitable to the LMC organisers they will tell us to take a hike and sell the half hour slot on to some other club - perhaps the Porsche, Jaguars or whoever.

So if you are thinking I'll send my application form in some time in March we will have lost the ability to get our cars on track.

I have also been led to believe that we have had very few "continental" GT40 cars register for the half hour session - I know from 2 years back we had Germans, Belgians, Dutch and French cars register - this year they seem to be staying away. (Is this true or are they just not wanting to come out to play?)

So as the prior organiser (for 2010) who was asked to assist come on guys pull your finger out, get registered with the club and pay the fees.

Last chance people

Ian

I second all that Ian A has said.

Come on you guys, this is an opportunity not to be missed.

I don't have a GT40, only an E30 M3, so I can't take part, but last time, 2010 I was lucky enough to get a ride with a serious track day driver for the laps in question and it was something out of this world.

This year I have a ride with a previously very experienced kart driver who has progressed to his ultimate love, car wise that is, and although he started the 2010 laps, retired early due to his engine loosing a pot. This will not happen again.

So without the specific numbers I won't get a ride. Come on you lot. What are your cars for.

I watched the original 40s at Reims in '64 with a super bunch of Canadians and my Farther and will always endeavor to partake in the Marque.

As has been said, you should grasp the opportunity with both hands to take your 40s on these hot laps. Not everybody gets the chance to run the circuit quickly and relatively unhindered.

I,ve tried twice now to be allowed to take my 917, even on parade laps with an anchor and drag chute, but to no avail. Since 1969 i,ve driven the circuit many times with just road cars, but now when i want to take a LeMans biased race car at a snails pace the say no.

In this rapidly changing world you should grab these rare chances with relish.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Graham

I believe the club may be able to accommodate you this year!

Perhaps give Andrew our Chairman a ring

Ian

Ian,

thankyou for that reply. I do not have your chairmans telephone number so i will have to pm him, but i fear it will still be a no-go.

Quite prepared to tail you 40 guys and stay at the back of the pack if need be, but i still don,t think Gaultier will say yes ............... unless he would allow a Gulf liveried 40 and 917 homage drive by. No problem for me to get support from Gulf for something like that.

Have you any such liveried 40s booked in yet?

I will have to find out fairly soon, as a rather hectic racing season looms, and i have to juggle the calendar.

GT.

Hi Graham.. we'd all love to see your 917 this year. I have to contact Gautier later this week with an update, so I will ask him directly. The only problem I forsee is that this year is an American V8 celebration and we're trying to squeeze in such cars as Lolas under the wire. However, I will ask because your car deserves to be at Le Mans.. in front.. not traling behind. My email is [email protected] Regards.. Andrew (Chairman) GT40 Enthusiasts Club - Front Page

okay guys, we are all set to head down to the classic le mans this week hope you all have a safe journey, it looks like we might be out on the track as its getting dark and the weather reports are not looking good, rainy most of friday, so i think our track time will be like travelling on the m25 on acid! with some 60 odd high powered cars, but i think it will be fun! good luck to everybody, see you on the track!
regards dick.

Back