Colin Hymes Red GT40

Hi everyone.

I am new to this, and have only just renewed my interest in GT40's.

Many, many years ago, I was fortunate enough to ride in a GT40 around Calder Park in Australia. The car from memory, was red and I think the rego number was 00-000 and owned by a guy named Colin Hymes, I think. It was also featured in a gas/fuel commercial on TV, I was wondering if anyone knows if it was a REAL GT40 or replica, and if it is still around anywhere.

Great site, the knowledge and people who are on these forums are truely outstanding.

Best regards
Ray

Hi Ray,
I have in my library a write-up on this car, in Motor Manual June 1969. It was (is?) indeed a real GT40. It was a racing one, modified for street use and registration, better finished than most as it was exhibited at the 1967 New York Motor Show. Unfortunately the article doesn't give the build no.
Apparently it weighed 1800 lb, had a five litre fully modded motor (estimated 400 bhp plus) that was tractable enough for 25 - 35 mph in top. Colin Hyams claimed to have regularly covered distances such as 300 miles in two hours in Europe, with the water temperature never getting above 70 degrees. The car was right hand drive (of course) with RH gear shift, and the instruments included a stop watch, fuel pressure gauge, and interior temperature gauge (it got hot inside - no A/C). Headlights were quartz iodine.
There's a wealth of knowledge on this forum, and someone else will probably know if it's still around.

Cheers,

Dalton

Hi Dalton.

Thanks for the information, 1969, now I really feel old, was it a CALTEX or MOBIL fuel commercial on TV that it was in? I also seem to remember that he or his family owned LUNA PARK in Sydney, but I could be wrong. Now I feel good, but old. I can say I have been in a REAL GT40. It was probably worth just about nothing then, compared to today.

Thanks for the reply

Ray

Trevor Booth

Lifetime Supporter
Supporter
P1030 is the number of that car, it is now in the USA painted pale blue and VERY original. It was used in the shell fuel Adverts. I have some of photos of this car in Australia. It featured in adverts in the USA for the new Ford GT It was also used by Ford in an ad campaign that said something like "would you let your daughter drive (ride in) this car" At one time hyam fitted a single 4 barrel carby, he also ran it in 1/4 mile drag races a few times.

The first time I saw this car was at the drag racing at Calder Park in Melbourne Australia.

Regards

Ray

1030 has another claim to fame. It was the car that the Ford design team used for inspiration when they were designing the new Ford GT.

The first time I saw this car was at the drag racing at Calder Park in Melbourne Australia.
Do you know how it did? There's a photo of the car at a drag race in Ronnie Spain's book. In the other lane is a Can-Am car.

Ron Rowse

No Longer Available
The Hymes family owned Lana park in Melbourne. the car sat in a shed for many years as colin was a recluse. I did some work on the car over many years at different times.

Mr John Marr who had an engine reconditioning shop in Melbourne ended up with the car. a friend of Mr Marr owned a Company in Melbourne called Boss Auto Parts (Kiven Musgrove) He specialized in Ford Mustangs and was an Ex Engineer from Ansett Airlines He convinced John the car was worth money and to sell it to a company in Phoenix USA.

That the best I can remember.

Ron.

Hi Ron.

Thank you for the information.

I knew he had something to do with Luna Park, I just could not remember what.

Back