Commonwealth politics vs U.S.

Not to reopen the American Revolution, but interested in how Australian, U.K., and U.S. politics differ. Seems like your Liberal and Tory Parties are more aligned philosophically with our Democrat Party than Republican. Would most Aussies or Brits be willing to give up socialized medicine or allow broad gun ownership? Noticed you're starting to get some fringe parties like Rise Up Australia and kooks like Stephanie Banister. Problem in U.S. is the kooks are in the Republican Party, not 3rd parties. Moderates like Jon Huntsman get shut out of Republican primaries and we end up with polarized choices. Wish we had your 1 month campaigns. We seem to be in perpetual campaign mode here.

I think Australia has big problems politically with its major parties but its biggest problem IMO is its stifling bureaucracy - a runaway and vastly expensive public service that doesn't seem to understand what public service actually means.
I hold no particular political party responsible for that, I blame them all, well the major ones at least.
We are a country sick with Sir Humphrys.

We have had some truly awful politicians - IMO one of our countries greatest catastrophes John Howard, and the disastrous Julia Gillard to name two of the worst leaders. I wont bother mentioning the many other dreadful politicians on all sides.
But, the public service in Australia is, I think, our country's greatest and most expensive failing.
It is my sad belief that Australia will never recover from them.

Politics is so full of spin now that I think most voters are completely jaded and believe nothing said by any party. This sets us apart from the US, I think. There it seems that spin has managed to convince many that their own side is absolutely the only reasonable side and that the other is evil and bent on destruction and that people who would vote that way are complete fools. US media makes me laugh.
The last is my observation only - from this forum especially.

We are now in a world where the people are treated as fools to be manipulated by psychologists and marketers. Sadly it seems our future is to be devoid of reason, moderation, representation or cooperation. Better than the fanatical religious? Probably not much.
When politicians and bureaucrats get back to doing what they are meant, to ie: representing and serving the people, then things will improve..... Hahahahahahaha.

I have not really mentioned media yet. Very sad what is happening here. The US is a bad example, we should not be following it - and we should certainly not be employing it/them...
The viscousness of some of the opinionated columnists who call themselves journalists here now is worthy of FOX news - yes I have watched it - I find it tremendously sad but at the same time 'D movie' hilarious.

Politicians should represent (their constituents).
Bureaucrats should serve (the people).
Media should report (not 'provide' opinion).
Govt in general should enable people, not nanny and look for ways to insert itself and regulate/control everything it can.
Legislation is their addiction it seems.
No major party here is free of blame.

Australians are great people with awful Govt.
I feel the same about the US. Great people but your Govt - including current and the previous Cheney/puppet regime - disastrous for the world.

Not terribly well constructed but I am a little sick and very tired ATM, so maybe I am in fact truly representative of the people of Aus. ;)

Tim.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, no. Same crap here.

I meant the people's reaction - Australians have become completely dissilusioned and disconnected, it seems that many Americans have become completely invested in the propaganda, on either side.
There are some very good examples on this forum.

Tim.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with you Tim, and although I am a little further right wing than Attilla the Hun, I also agree about Howard, he was the one who as treasurer bought in retrospective legislation. By far the most heinous and unfair thing ever done by a politician.
He also banned guns as a knee jerk reaction to the Port Arthur massacre.
As you say there are many from both sides who are appalling, Julia, it goes without saying and Rudd and many more including the pompous ass Fraser.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Politics is so full of spin now that I think most voters are completely jaded and believe nothing said by any party. This sets us apart from the US, I think. There it seems that spin has managed to convince many that their own side is absolutely the only reasonable side and that the other is evil and bent on destruction and that people who would vote that way are complete fools. US media makes me laugh.
The last is my observation only - from this forum especially.

Actually this is quite a good description of how I feel as well.

At some point, the earth will fall into the sun or get obliterated by asteroids or something. This will happen far out of my lifetime and that of my kids and their kids. I look at politics and government the same way. There isn't anything I can do about it and it's more fun to talk about cars, music, boats and chasing women, so I have given up the whole politics/government thing as a waste of time. A bit happier now, as well.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Pete, I do vote (my parents would roll over in their graves if I did not) but I do it whilst holding my nose.... as to whether it makes a difference, I have no idea. I don't think it does, but I do it to avoid feeling like a complete drag on society- you know, the kind of person who doesn't vote but complains about all the things he or she didn't weigh in on.....

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Hopefully your vote still makes a difference Jim.

... as to whether it makes a difference...I don't think it does...

It really doesn't when you think about it in the sense that all too often, no matter for whom your vote is cast, once said person is sworn in, strange things begin to happen between his ears to the point where, in very short order, his actions bear no resemblance at all to the 'promises' he made as a candidate.

That said, I've still voted in every election since I first registered...except during the time I served in Uncle Sam's canoe club. 'Couldn't really keep abreast of the issues back home and I refused to cast a vote w/o at least having some clue as to how that vote should be cast.

Steve

Supporter
Every election cycle it seems like a choice between 2 evils. Often difficult to find the lesser of the evils. Like Jim, I vote but I'm certainly very cynical about the options. You see some impassioned voices on the far left and right on this forum (ye know of whom I speak). These individuals are representative of the blind forceful vocal minority in our country who have very strong allegiances with one party or the other, never find fault with their own whom they champion, can't be reasoned with, and can't cross the aisle. The vast majority of Americans (probably 50-60%) are somewhere in the middle. The federal govt seems more populated by the idealogues on either side, grinding the govt to a halt. Those in the middle grow more disillusioned by the day. I think Jim R and I would fall into that category for instance. We're not on the same side of the aisle but we're not blind to the idiocy we see in our own party, can see the others point of view even when not fully agreeing, can occasionally agree, and have the ability to compromise.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
In OZ voting is compulsorily, which personally I don't agree with. However we are also plagued with self interested promise breaking candidates from both sides, frustrating ain't it.

Every election cycle it seems like a choice between 2 evils. Often difficult to find the lesser of the evils. Like Jim, I vote but I'm certainly very cynical about the options. You see some impassioned voices on the far left and right on this forum (ye know of whom I speak). These individuals are representative of the blind forceful vocal minority in our country who have very strong allegiances with one party or the other, never find fault with their own whom they champion, can't be reasoned with, and can't cross the aisle. The vast majority of Americans (probably 50-60%) are somewhere in the middle. The federal govt seems more populated by the idealogues on either side, grinding the govt to a halt. Those in the middle grow more disillusioned by the day. I think Jim R and I would fall into that category for instance. We're not on the same side of the aisle but we're not blind to the idiocy we see in our own party, can see the others point of view even when not fully agreeing, can occasionally agree, and have the ability to compromise.

Then maybe there is some hope for the world after all.

Tim.

In OZ voting is compulsorily, which personally I don't agree with. However we are also plagued with self interested promise breaking candidates from both sides, frustrating ain't it.

For a country that calls itself free there are a surprisingly large number of things that are compulsory.
That, the ridiculous bureacracy and the dishonesty of politics, along with carrots and sticks... all adds together to make Australia the country it isn't today.

Tim.

I meant the people's reaction - Australians have become completely dissilusioned and disconnected, it seems that many Americans have become completely invested in the propaganda, on either side.
There are some very good examples on this forum.

Tim.
Don't judge Americans by the way the media presents a select few. News, by nature, is sensationalist (just ask the Brits!) and the media looks for people and events that will attract viewers/readers. Even on the forum, I think you'll find, if you ask, that most Americans don't trust, or believe, just about anything they hear from politicians these days. As Jack said as well...same ****, different continent.

Keith

Unfortunately AJ, people DO judge events by the media and as for UK news being sensationalist - I do believe that we have not yet featured any kind of nude stripper news presentation here, or not held a full blown trial-by-media in the first editions before the perp was even arrested, so I ain't having that.

Your 1st Amendment is both your friend, rock,and subliminal enemy.

But this isn't about competitive (in) national traits - we should talk us as a team, as we both (you and I) have a common enemy. We are all slowly being homogenized (I've spelt in the American Way in a gesture of Good faith) into a failed experiment on a runaway train that someone forgot to bring the brake key for.

There is no BLAME except us. There is no point in sitting there smugly saying IT's NOT OUR FAULT when you have just released the trigger of the apathy bomb.

Given the nature if the Beast, there will be some elements we CAN blame because they don't have to act the way they do There is no rule book that says our lives must be shock horror into submission on a daily diet of damn lies and distortions that makes us scared to leave our own front doors.

1st Amendment. A Force for Good and the ammunition for self destruct. Never mind your guns. This is the Elephant - right there.

Media is the new power - media is the new government - the unelected morally degenerate tail is now wagging the diseased dog and the fucking dog's teeth have fallen out and that, is why morally, we are starving.

Keith

Well at least your eye was taken straight to the er, Australian cultural interest without me having underline it three times and put it in bold.. :) mate..

Back