conversion of ZF transaxle

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
An interesting and not altogether pleasant surprise...turns out the ZF transaxle I bought is set up to shift from the left side of the gearbox, needs to be on the right. (this is a NOS BMW box, 5DS25-2) Has anyone out there done this conversion and knows what's involved in it? My face is a bit red, but I'm learning like everyone else. Didn't realize it until the unit was shipped to Safir Ltd and they pointed it out. Oh, well. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi JiM, WE HAVE BEEN THERE,DONE THAT WITH A 25/2 BOX. See earlier threads on subject or E mail me for details. I could not get a new cross selector shaft, so remade and moved ident spring assembly to the left side and picked up the existing right hand end of the shaft for selector input. Frank

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
Jim
I am doing this conversion to my ZF at the moment.I purchased a new cross shaft and compression springs from RBT and I'm having new housings made up similar to Frank's. The original housings will not swap sides because of flange diameter and bolt holes.An interesting point is that the M1 had a bearing in both housings but the standard 25/2 only has a bearing on the gearshift side. I was able to borrow a housing for my engineer to copy, which has made life easier. I found what seems to be a very dodgy possible trackside repair in my ZF.The reverse shaft made of aluminium!!!
Needless to say this will be replaced with heat treated steel.All things considered Jim
the changeover is not exactly straight forward.I suggest you get a manual from the pantera people and I could list all the part numbers you need to buy from RBT. They can supply all parts at around US$1600 which is double that in Australia and why I only bought the shaft and springs. Hope this helps.
Regards Ross

Hi Guys, we could not get parts from Lloyd Butfoy at the time, so we used all existing parts and only manufactured the ident spring caseing because, as Ross says, that was the only part not transferrable. Frank

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: F CATT ]

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: F CATT ]

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Thanks Frank and Ross, I have called one source for the bits we need and am waiting to find out whether he has the parts, if not will keep looking. I appreciate your help and may be in touch directly if I am still having headaches with it. As my mother used to say, "school's always in session..."

Back